RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Currie%20Cup%20Logo.png

Okay, so we're a week away from the start of the ABSA Currie Cup. Which is also the last time it will be called the ABSA Currie Cup, as the main sponsor has decided not to renew it's contract with SARU for 2016 onwards.

Now that the playoffs are over and the last team have qualified, we can have a look at the teams, players and fixtures. First off, Congrats to the Griquas for qualifying for the premier division again this year.

Here are the teams:

Western%20Province.png

The current holders of the trophy will be looking at making it a double, something that hasn't happened in a long time for the Cape Town team. They have a new head coach, and a bunch of new players. With their Vodacom Cup team making it to the finals, and their Super Rugby team making it to the Semi's, they will have one of the strongest squads around. The question is however if their young guns will be able to make the step up especially with their experienced heads all at the Springboks for the World Cup.

Golden%20Lions.png

Last year's finalists and this year's 2nd best placed SA team in the Super Rugby, the Lions have a very strong base to work from. They are the only team out of the original big 5 teams that had the fewest disruptions with regards to personnel, in both coaching as well as players. A team that has been playing an exciting brand of rugby, and with the core of their players not involved with the Springboks, they have a very good chance at making it to the final again. This time, without their fearless leader, Warren Whiteley, who in all likelihood will be travelling with the Springboks to the World Cup. Their powerful scrum will take centre stage again, and with Jaco Kriel, Warwick Tecklenburg and Derek Minnie their forward pack will again be a very lethal weapon.

Blue%20Bulls.png

The team that is under immense pressure from their fans to win this year. They have a new coach in Nollis Marais, and a lot of new players, most of them was part of the U/20 Baby-Boks team. Their is something brewing at the Bulls again and it seems like the focus is on playing a more expansive game than the traditional Blue Bull Stampkar rugby. Their biggest problem is injuries. They have more than 10 players currently on the injury list, some of them have already been ruled out of the Currie Cup. It's going to be an uphill battle for the Bulls and I for one am very interested to see what the new coach will bring to the team. My hope is that he will bring back pride to the team.

Natal%20Sharks.png

The Sharks have been the most productive in purchasing new players, and the question is, will these guys make a difference to a team that has a tendency to play great rugby without winning trophies. They recently acquired the services of Jacques Potgieter, Willie Le Roux, Joe Pietersen and Coenie Oosthuizen. With only Willie going to the World Cup, they will have a very strong team this year, and should be one of the favourites, depending on how well they get along with Gary Gold and his plans for the team. I hope they worked on their discipline as they were rather dire during the Super Rugby tournament, and got way too many yellow and red cards for a team of their calibre. You have to think that John Smit will be starting to read the riot act sooner rather than later if they start off poorly.

Free%20State%20Cheetahs.png

Everyone's second favourite team, the Cheetahs have a new coach in Franco Smith, who has already tasted success this year with the Shimlas in the Varsity Cup. Smith will definitely bring more finesse and wit to the Cheetahs than they had when Naka Drotske and Os Du Randt were at the helm. Smith has brought in an entire new management team, and a lot of new young players. Basically he has promoted a lot of the Shimlas players for their performance in the Varsity Cup. They are probably the Dark Horse for this year, as we don't know how they will play and which players will stand out. They have lost a bunch of their experienced players, like Coenie Oosthuizen, Willie Le Roux, Joe Pietersen (Sharks) and Cornal Hendricks (WP) being lured away. I just think that this young team will need a little bit maturity for them to compete with the others. They might falter in the Semis or Finals due to inexperience.

Pumas.png

The Vodacom Cup Champions of 2015. Under the leadership of MJ Mentz, the team from the lowveld has been making bigwigs take notice for the last 3 seasons now. They have produced stars like Faf De Klerk, Vincent Koch and Renaldo Bothma as well as Roscoe Specman (Sevens) that have all been playing Super Rugby for the franchises and getting regular starts. De Klerk has meanwhile been lured back to the Lions for his great performances. The Pumas will again stir the pot for the big 5 teams, and with players like Marnus Schoeman and Stefan Watermeyer they will be a very potent weapon. The Pumas will try to build on their recent success and will definitely be one of the form teams at the start of the tournament.

Kings.png

The EP Kings, the team that most of SA hate. Purely because of a father and son combination that has no passion for the Springbok. The question on everyone's lips are if they will be competitive enough to warrant their inclusion as the 6th franchise for next year's Super Rugby expanded tournament. To be honest I have no idea of what their squad looks like and which stars will play for them other than Jacques "Vleis" Engelbrecht. They will be captained by Luke Watson and my guess is they will either come close and lose most of their games, or cause big upsets, due to their unknown factor.

GWK%20Griquas.png

The Griquas have just qualified for the tournament and their players will be the most match-fit of the teams. While the other teams were preparing and playing practice matches, they played qualification matches, where they had to win every game and be sharp as one mistake could lead to them being demoted to the first division. The Griquas will yet again be a tough as nails team, especially at home with their rockhard field in Kimberley. Some teams are bound to falter at their home ground, but they have a rather poor record away from home, and this is the area where they will need to focus on. To make it to the playoffs, you have to win away from home, and the question is if the Griquas will have the firepower to do that.

And there you have it, just a small preview of what to look forward to. The First game kicks off on 7 August 2015 at 15:30 CAT and I can't wait to see how the oldest SH rugby tournament will pan out. Good Luck to all the teams, and may the best team win... Hopefully it's the Bulls.

Lions
WP
Pumas
Cheetahs
Bulls
Sharks
Griquas
Kings

That is my prediction. I'm backing the Pumas and Cheetahs to do quite well this year.

The Lions will be best placed to go all the way IMO as they are the team with the most consistency going forward. WP has the depth to survive the Bokke being out IMO. I am backing the young guys to take a step up in their place. It's difficult to seperate #s 3, 4 and 5 for me.. the Bulls, Pumas and Cheetahs could all 3 go very far or even end up at 6 quite easily but I am backing them for these mid table spots in some combination. The Bulls > Cheetahs > Pumas in terms of potential but I just feel the line-up for consistency reads in the opposite direction and will probably be more relevant. The Sharks I don't have much hope for if I'm honest, not for pushing for a play-off spot but they'll be dangerous in Durbs. The Griquas will do what they always do; be up for a fight at Kimberley but little more. I'll be surprised if the Kings managed a win TBH. They shouldn't be in the Currie Cup let alone Super Rugby.

Last edited:
Lions
WP
Pumas
Cheetahs
Bulls
Sharks
Griquas
Kings

That is my prediction. I'm backing the Pumas and Cheetahs to do quite well this year.

The Lions will be best placed to go all the way IMO as they are the team with the most consistency going forward. WP has the depth to survive the Bokke being out IMO. I am backing the young guys to take a step up in their place. It's difficult to seperate #s 3, 4 and 5 for me.. the Bulls, Pumas and Cheetahs could all 3 go very far or even end up at 6 quite easily but I am backing them for these mid table spots in some combination. The Bulls > Cheetahs > Pumas in terms of potential but I just feel the line-up for consistency reads in the opposite direction and will probably be more relevant. The Sharks I don't have much hope for if I'm honest, not for pushing for a play-off spot but they'll be dangerous in Durbs. The Griquas will do what they always do; be up for a fight at Kimberley but little more. I'll be surprised if the Kings managed a win TBH. They shouldn't be in the Currie Cup let alone Super Rugby.

My Prediction is:

Lions
WP
Bulls
Pumas
Cheetahs
Sharks
Griquas
Kings

The Blue Bulls will be bolstered with a guy like RG Snyman from the U/20's making the step up. But I think the Lions will be the team to beat this year.

I agree with you regarding the Sharks. They look promising, but I just don't see the chemistry there with Gary Gold. They would be better off with Ian Mckintosh than Gold.

Oh, man.. I did a whole write-up on the WP for CC2015 and it looks like the internet goblins got it.

Anyway, @heineken, it seems our predictions roughly correespond. At least with the Lions on top and Griquas and Kings propping up the table. WRT the WP, Bulls and Sharks these are the teams which could fluxuate the most. All 3 have new coaches and will be contributing the Lion's share of Bok players to the upcoming RWC. It'd be very difficult to say what each of these teams' chances are but we have the order roughly similar.

On WP we have a roughly similar backline to what we saw in Super rugby this year.. if anything we might have a 'better' backline (more balanced and geared towards CC rugby) and while we lose a lot of forwards to the Bokke we are well covered apart from at tighthead prop even if our depth will be seriously tested if we start losing forwards to injury.

Probable 1st choice XV:

1 JC Janse van Rensburg - not 100% sure if he is available yet otherwise Kebble is a promising up-and-commer and the game time might be valuable.
2 Scara Ntubeni - again, if unavailable Willemse is a very promising youngster that should step in ahead of Mbonambi.
3 ?
4 Jean Kleyn
5 Ruan Botha
6 Rynhardt Elstadt
7 Siya Kolisi
8 Nizaam Carr
9 Jano Vermaak
10 Demetri Catrakilis - though I hope we give Du Preez and/or Du Plessis extended game time looking towards next year's SR as we'll be without Catrakilis
11 Seabelo Senatla
12 Jaco Taute - Assuming here JdV will get into the RWC squad
13 Juan de Jongh
14 Kobus van Wyk
15 Cheslin Kolbe

The reason why I say our backline is better than it was in SR is that 1, Vermaak at 9 is a level up and Senatla on the wing as well while I don't see Taute in for De Allende as such a step down as he will complement the rest still and his better presence in defense will offset any loss of go-forward which is not as much needed since the CC should offer more space than what one might expect in SR.

The pack other than at THP is still quality despite the Bokke out; I don't see Ntubeni, Carr or Kolisi joining the Bok final squad with Vermeulen, Malherbe, Koch, Etzebeth, Kitshoff and Burger. Ntubeni is the bigger chance of the three but we have Mike Willemse whom I really want to see get game time so no big loss there.

I am hoping for one of our young props to step up into Malherbe's spot os that we have a viable option to help Koch next year.

Last edited:
Bulls team named for their Japanese warm-up match at the bottom of this post. I have to say this looks stronger than I originally expected on paper and I might have to upgrade the Bulls from where my first post had them..

Add a few injured players, the couple of missing Bokke and assume a few youngsters step it up ala Pollard/Kriel-style and the Bulls might survive another player exodus.. again..

But seriously for us- any of our SA teams!- to push for higher honours in Super Rugby we need greater continuity year to year so that these exciting newcomers complement already settled teams rather than keep thinning line-ups from totally falling apart.

15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Travis Ismaiel, 13 Dries Swanepoel, 12 Burger Odendaal, 11 Jamba Ulengo, 10 Louis Fouche, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Arno Botha, 7 Lappies Labuschagne (captain), 6 Deon Stegmann, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Jacques du Plessis, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Dean Greyling

Substitues: 16 Bandise Maku, 17 Andrew Beerwinkel, 18 RG Snyman, 19 Roelof Smit, 20 Ivan van Zyl, 21 Tian Schoeman, 22 William Small-Smith, 23 Nqoba Mxoli, 24 Hanro Liebenberg, 25 Dan Kriel, 26 Jannes Kirsten, 27 Kefentse Mahlo

Bulls team named for their Japanese warm-up match at the bottom of this post. I have to say this looks stronger than I originally expected on paper and I might have to upgrade the Bulls from where my first post had them..

Add a few injured players, the couple of missing Bokke and assume a few youngsters step it up ala Pollard/Kriel-style and the Bulls might survive another player exodus.. again..

But seriously for us- any of our SA teams!- to push for higher honours in Super Rugby we need greater continuity year to year so that these exciting newcomers complement already settled teams rather than keep thinning line-ups from totally falling apart.

15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Travis Ismaiel, 13 Dries Swanepoel, 12 Burger Odendaal, 11 Jamba Ulengo, 10 Louis Fouche, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Arno Botha, 7 Lappies Labuschagne (captain), 6 Deon Stegmann, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Jacques du Plessis, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Dean Greyling

Substitues: 16 Bandise Maku, 17 Andrew Beerwinkel, 18 RG Snyman, 19 Roelof Smit, 20 Ivan van Zyl, 21 Tian Schoeman, 22 William Small-Smith, 23 Nqoba Mxoli, 24 Hanro Liebenberg, 25 Dan Kriel, 26 Jannes Kirsten, 27 Kefentse Mahlo

I look at that squad and then I'm both sad and happy.

Some of those guys won't be part of the Super Rugby Squad next year, and yet, you can see that there are a lot of good youngsters in there too! It's a pity that Jenkins is injured, as I think he and RG Snyman could become the next Victor and Bakkies

I look at that squad and then I'm both sad and happy.

Some of those guys won't be part of the Super Rugby Squad next year, and yet, you can see that there are a lot of good youngsters in there too! It's a pity that Jenkins is injured, as I think he and RG Snyman could become the next Victor and Bakkies

You mean the next Etzebeth and PSdT surely?

The lad is still very young and his body will get used to the rigors of senior rugby and adapt his style of play as well, I'm sure. Etzebeth himself spends a lot of time in and out of the physio's waiting room earlier on but is looking good again it has to be said.

Here's hoping for a good, injury free run from both at the RWC more importantly next year's SR tournament!

I see there is a CC Fantasy comp also just started...Anyone playing ??

http://fantasy.udt.co.za/curriecup/restricted/Dashboard.j

I'm not particularly fond of the scoring allocations and general setups for the ones I've found or the one you linked there. I think I'll skip this year personally.

Thinking about fantasy rugby got me thinking, who might break into the CC this year and might feature in next season's SR?

I fr one am still hoping for a good openside for the Stormers and am hoping Marnus Schoeman shines and gets snapped up by us. Other than that for WP I am a bit miffed that we didn't release Catrakilis early and use the CC as a springboard to up both Rob du Preez and Jean-Luc du Plessis at 10.

Onto the front row where we've lost both Steven Kitshoff and Frans Malherbe for next year I am hoping for Oli Kebble to step up at loose head.. I am not so optimistic anyone out of our youth could replace Malherbe but at least Koch will be back for us for SR. I am hoping Mike Willemse gets his chance at hoker though. Mbonambi and Ntubeni have both fialed us too many times at the line-out and Willemse has shown a lot of potential.

Other than that I am sad to say our two biggest prospects are both out of the running with long term injuries; JD Shickerling (lock) and Josh Katzen (flank).

I'm not particularly fond of the scoring allocations and general setups for the ones I've found or the one you linked there. I think I'll skip this year personally.

Thinking about fantasy rugby got me thinking, who might break into the CC this year and might feature in next season's SR?

I fr one am still hoping for a good openside for the Stormers and am hoping Marnus Schoeman shines and gets snapped up by us. Other than that for WP I am a bit miffed that we didn't release Catrakilis early and use the CC as a springboard to up both Rob du Preez and Jean-Luc du Plessis at 10.

Onto the front row where we've lost both Steven Kitshoff and Frans Malherbe for next year I am hoping for Oli Kebble to step up at loose head.. I am not so optimistic anyone out of our youth could replace Malherbe but at least Koch will be back for us for SR. I am hoping Mike Willemse gets his chance at hoker though. Mbonambi and Ntubeni have both fialed us too many times at the line-out and Willemse has shown a lot of potential.

Other than that I am sad to say our two biggest prospects are both out of the running with long term injuries; JD Shickerling (lock) and Josh Katzen (flank).

Well, I think some guys who played SR this year who made an impact, needs to build on that to ensure they retain their spot and possibly make the national selectors take note, And here I'm thinking of guys like Jaco Kriel, Burger Odendaal and Thomas Du Toit.

As for the newcomers, to be honest, there will be a lot of new faces in all the teams, and I know too little to make even a guess. But what I do like is that the youngsters, and the Varsity Cup guys are all becoming part of the senior squads. It shows that the structures are starting to work well together.

The development of the Varsity Cup and junior age grade rugby in general has certainly helped these young guys make the step to pro senior rugby seamlessly. Probably because those systems are in essence pro in and of themselves ATM.

Kriel's been top man in the loosies since Curry Cup 2014. I'm sure the selectors won't have a choice other than to pick him post this year's RWC. Him and Coetzee will probably feature for the bokke for some time still.

I'm an Odendaal fan but he has some competition! Even just at the Bulls there are Serfontein and Jesse Kriel who I hope you guys play at 13!! Then there is still De Allende in his way for a Bok jersey and I daresay Venter and Mapoe might also have other ideas.

Thomas du Toit is an interesting one. From looking at the JRWC he wasn't nearly as effective at TH as LH but that is where he is focussing on probably since Jannie will be going to Montpellier. But with the Sharks also signing Coenie Oosthuizen who I also think is better at LH it'll be interesting to see who ends up wearing what jersey.

The development of the Varsity Cup and junior age grade rugby in general has certainly helped these young guys make the step to pro senior rugby seamlessly. Probably because those systems are in essence pro in and of themselves ATM.

Kriel's been top man in the loosies since Curry Cup 2014. I'm sure the selectors won't have a choice other than to pick him post this year's RWC. Him and Coetzee will probably feature for the bokke for some time still.

I'm an Odendaal fan but he has some competition! Even just at the Bulls there are Serfontein and Jesse Kriel who I hope you guys play at 13!! Then there is still De Allende in his way for a Bok jersey and I daresay Venter and Mapoe might also have other ideas.

Thomas du Toit is an interesting one. From looking at the JRWC he wasn't nearly as effective at TH as LH but that is where he is focussing on probably since Jannie will be going to Montpellier. But with the Sharks also signing Coenie Oosthuizen who I also think is better at LH it'll be interesting to see who ends up wearing what jersey.

And JJ Engelbrecht!! But that just makes it better if there is competition for a spot.

I was meaning to ask you if you heard anything about a lot of the guys who played at the Craven Week that was caught for using Dagga in their drugtests??

I completely forgot about JJ as well! Man, the Bulls have some serious young talent in the backs, it's just a question of getting the balance right. I'm glad I'm not a Bulls selector.

If I had my wishes I'd go 9Hougaard, 10Pollard, 11Basson, 12Serfontein, 13Kriel, 14Engelbrecht, 15Gelant but that is with my Bok cap on as much as Bulls as I think Gelant is closer to Le Roux than Kriel and Kriel just looks more at home at 13 in any case. IE I want all SA teams leaning towards Meyer's game plan so that we have seamless transitions from SR to test rugby. Odendaal at 23.

Can't say I've heard anything- I havn't even heard the allegations about dagga use in the Craven week. Can't say I'd call dagga a performance enhancing drug LOL. Hope they just let it slide if there is any truth to it as it is somewhat of a cultural issue rather than a law issue IMO. In fact I am all for the legalization and taxing of the dagga 'industry'.

Last edited:
I completely forgot about JJ as well! Man, the Bulls have some serious young talent in the backs, it's just a question of getting the balance right. I'm glad I'm not a Bulls selector.

If I had my wishes I'd go 9Hougaard, 10Pollard, 11Basson, 12Serfontein, 13Kriel, 14Engelbrecht, 15Gelant but that is with my Bok cap on as much as Bulls as I think Gelant is closer to Le Roux than Kriel and Kriel just looks more at home at 13 in any case. IE I want all SA teams leaning towards Meyer's game plan so that we have seamless transitions from SR to test rugby. Odendaal at 23.

Yeah well, the Bulls are struggling to find a coach with Pedigree for next year, as most coaches have turned them down because all the assistant coaches still have contracts. They even made an offer to Ewen Mckenzie!

And they didn't renew Jurgen Visser's contract, so it makes me think that they are looking towards a more attacked style of play. Don't forget that Jesse's brother is also there and he can play wing too!

Can't say I've heard anything- I havn't even heard the allegations about dagga use in the Craven week. Can't say I'd call dagga a performance enhancing drug LOL. Hope they just let it slide if there is any truth to it as it is somewhat of a cultural issue rather than a law issue IMO. In fact I am all for the legalization and taxing of the dagga 'industry'.

Well I know that some of the kids got suspended from school (Limpopo Bulls players) but I think that is how far it will go...

We will repeat! All who stand against us will feel the might of the glorious flower thing! GO PROVINCE!

Latest posts