• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Final: New Zealand vs. Australia (31/10/2015)

My god I'm hyped for this match, the World Cup on the line 1v2 against our biggest rival ( To kiwi's a quick question who is your bigger rival us or SA, heard commentary last night saying it was SA i had just assumed it was Aus, more history Bledisloe and all that).

EXACTLY!! ALl we had to deal with was a crappy OZ tight 5 and Samo and Elsom. This situation is a whole different kettle of fish. AND OZ have already demonstrated with these exact teams they can dominate us in the breakdown - i.e. Sydney!!

Watch the game back and watch Barnes. He dominated us at the breakdown by letting Pocock away with EVERYTHING. Honestly it was a free for all.

I really dont think hooper is that great either. The Aussies back themselves into a corner by selecting both of these guys at the same time with no 8 thats capable in lineouts. We can expect to play for field position and then smash these guys into submission in there own half similar to how we played SA but with less dumb errors hopefully.

I do wonder weather the aussies will actually select Hooper and Pocock like sydney I actually think they might go for the tactics they used in Auckland but try to be more competitive. They must know with Hooper and Pocock its a free card for us to play field position and put HUGE pressure on their lineout.

fair call. As a fiercly proud AB supporter i find some of these AB fans comments embarrasing

Frankly i rate the aussie coaching team higher than the AB coaching staff. They are far more progressive and inventive in my mind. Our advantage is we have more depth in the 30 man squad.
Any kiwi who writes of the aussies has a very short memory, and yes, i know what the stats say on our history. however...

Really? That's a pretty big call given the sustained and bloody well near perfect coaching record of the AB team - vs the OZ coaching staff with what? 14 matches and a 10 and 4 record? could have been 9 and 5 if it weren't for Joubert ;)

Cheika is promising, but Hansen has lost only 3 games out of 52 - is that not the best record of all time for a tier 1?

Cheika and Larkham I rate. Larkham is a really competitive buggar and is very smart.

Cheika has a penchant for big tight fives solely to control possession so if you take that from under his feet I think he wont have many answers.

Normally I'd have us 60:40 favourites, but I think that reduces in a wc final to 51:49 as finals tend to be close affairs.
We need to stop Pocock being second to the tackle as this is when he gets his turnover ball, as in the other player tackles and he swoops. Did it to the Argies today almost at will.
I do feel we should be stoked it's a NZ vs Aus final. The top 2 ranked teams meeting each other for the final is awesome.
Throw in our history with each other as Anzac mates and an intense sporting rivalry and we're good to go.
Also time to mention that Aus have one 2 out of 3 wc clashes between the two countries.
and it's the second time this year that a wc final has been between the two of us :cool: (and both times England went out in pool play - sorry guys couldn't resist) .
looking forward to a great game and may the best team in the day win.

Normally I'd have us 60:40 favourites, but I think that reduces in a wc final to 51:49 as finals tend to be close affairs.
We need to stop Pocock being second to the tackle as this is when he gets his turnover ball, as in the other player tackles and he swoops. Did it to the Argies today almost at will.
I do feel we should be stoked it's a NZ vs Aus final. The top 2 ranked teams meeting each other for the final is awesome.
Throw in our history with each other as Anzac mates and an intense sporting rivalry and we're good to go.
Also time to mention that Aus have one 2 out of 3 wc clashes between the two countries.
and it's the second time this year that a wc final has been between the two of us :cool: (and both times England went out in pool play - sorry guys couldn't resist) .
looking forward to a great game and may the best team in the day win.

Hopefully it's a different result this time though. Would be horrible to lose two finals to Australia in the same year!

My god I'm hyped for this match, the World Cup on the line 1v2 against our biggest rival ( To kiwi's a quick question who is your bigger rival us or SA, heard commentary last night saying it was SA i had just assumed it was Aus, more history Bledisloe and all that).

Absolutely it's Australia. I didn't know what they were talking about either. No disrespect to RSA, but to me matches against Australia are far more intense due to the rivalry.

depends who we're playing at the time I reckon.

nah well traditionally South Africa as they had beaten us more than we had them until recently, where as Aus wasn't really a threat until the 90s. These days it's a hard call, probably swings between the two depending on which of you guys are beating us in games. Really hard to pick love playing you both.

Watch the game back and watch Barnes. He dominated us at the breakdown by letting Pocock away with EVERYTHING. Honestly it was a free for all.

I really dont think hooper is that great either. The Aussies back themselves into a corner by selecting both of these guys at the same time with no 8 thats capable in lineouts. We can expect to play for field position and then smash these guys into submission in there own half similar to how we played SA but with less dumb errors hopefully.

I do wonder weather the aussies will actually select Hooper and Pocock like sydney I actually think they might go for the tactics they used in Auckland but try to be more competitive. They must know with Hooper and Pocock its a free card for us to play field position and put HUGE pressure on their lineout.

I dont think Hooper is that great either, I actually think the guy who is really underrated is Fardy.

But the trio needs attention and a good game plan. The ABs did not have that against OZ in Sydney and there is no point blaming the ref cause that will never change the result. Of course it will be different at the breakdown with Owens but we still need a game plan.

I'm not saying it is something we cant overcome, all I am saying is that it is probably the single most intetersting aspect of the game and I'm intrigued as to what the ABs will do. I suspect you are right they will try and tie Pocock up in the tackle, but I do hope the AB's commit an extra player to the ruch compared to Sydney!

I'm pretty sure SA is seen as our biggest rival according to our media etc. either way theirs not much in it. On a personnal level its definitly aussie for me

- - - Updated - - -

Yep i hear you, but i think any coach with our range of cattle to choose from would do better than average. It's not so much shag i don't rate, more so Foster and Fox, wayne smith ran out of ideas awhile ago.
Chieka's only failure for mine was/is selecting quade cooper. QC is a super rugby level player at best

South Africa are our biggest rugby rivalry. Always have been. In most other sports, and a close second in rugby, sure you could say Australia because of the trans Tasman thing.

Historically it's been SA but personally I'm a child if the 90s and remember (quite well unfortunately) when Aus were the dominant team during parts of the 90s early 2000s.

Let's try to keep this civil. For the first time in RWC history, Aus/NZ finally have the privilege of facing each other in a final. This in itself should be a celebration and for the good of the sport, shouldn't degenerate into a fanboy war.

Thanks.

To be fair this is the most logical World Cup final.
Best vs Second best.
I'm really looking forward to it.

Wallabies out to $3.50 in the betting. That's NSW in State of Origin odds... probably a fair reflection of our chances to be fair, but you never know in a one off game.

Wallabies out to $3.50 in the betting. That's NSW in State of Origin odds... probably a fair reflection of our chances to be fair, but you never know in a one off game.

Over here at the tab its ABs $1.35 Aussie $3.00

So first thing to so is: throw away everything that has happened since before today and start fresh, history means nothing now, its all about this week and the game coming .

Secondly, I have been waiting for this game for 30 years, these 2 teams meeting in a world cup final, can't wait.

Personally I think its 50/50 until I see the teams.

Just hoping for an awesome game and good running rugby with bone crunching defense.

At the end of 80 mins I expect 1-2 points in it.

So first thing to so is: throw away everything that has happened since before today and start fresh, history means nothing now, its all about this week and the game coming .

Secondly, I have been waiting for this game for 30 years, these 2 teams meeting in a world cup final, can't wait.

Personally I think its 50/50 until I see the teams.

Just hoping for an awesome game and good running rugby with bone crunching defense.

At the end of 80 mins I expect 1-2 points in it.

I think you can pretty much lock down the entire AB 23. Only point of interest seems to be what they do with Crockett. Sounds like he is fit so unless Moody has really impressed the selectors then knowing Hansen Crockett will probably start with Moody on the bench. The ridiculas baseless allegations against McCaw have been put to bed quick smart as well. Who were the dopes that instigated that by the way? They deserve a smack round the ears!

As for OZ, I have heard nothing about injuries other than concerns for Falou. Therefore pretty much lock in the same OZ 23 with perhpas Beale at FB and either Speight or Cooper on the bench.

I think you can pretty much lock down the entire AB 23. Only point of interest seems to be what they do with Crockett. Sounds like he is fit so unless Moody has really impressed the selectors then knowing Hansen Crockett will probably start with Moody on the bench. The ridiculas baseless allegations against McCaw have been put to bed quick smart as well. Who were the dopes that instigated that by the way? They deserve a smack round the ears!

As for OZ, I have heard nothing about injuries other than concerns for Falou. Therefore pretty much lock in the same OZ 23 with perhpas Beale at FB and either Speight or Cooper on the bench.

Yeah I am expecting injury updates today or tomorrow, always seems to be a 24 hour wait.

Crocket and NMS seem to be the ones at the moment, don't expect to hear about Aus injuries until tomorrow either.

Yeah the McCaw thing never even crossed my mind, a couple of mates were flapping about it and I was like nah nothing going to happen.

The ridiculas baseless allegations against McCaw have been put to bed quick smart as well. Who were the dopes that instigated that by the way? They deserve a smack round the ears!

The one ones who got the two Scottish guys banned and stuffed the Scot training up for a week, I expect.

Latest posts