• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Final: New Zealand vs. Australia (31/10/2015)

You would say so, he always said he wouldn't talk about it until the WC was over but we all guess it is the case.

Given you need to play super rugby(or ITM cup) to get an AB's jersey and he is not contracted anywhere.

I suspect if he does decide to come back, which I could only imagine would be to help out the ABs, then he may well take a Super Rugby season off - a sabbatical or something, but sign on with the NZRU again with an ITM contract to take him through one more international year.

I suspect he genuinely hasnt made a decision yet nor given it a heck of a lot of thought. I'm also not clear what the NZRUs ideal situation would be. It's arguable whether or not they might be better off having a clean break and dealing with his loss from day 1 (post RWC) as opposed to the advantages they might get having him in the mix for another year....

If you guys could make the decision what do you think would be better for NZ Rugby?

The new boys will not come on until Richie is not the first choice no.7, his shadow looms ominously large over the sniffer role.
The RFU would have to approach McCaw and see what he felt about a mentoring role.

Interestingly mccaw was not named today in the Crusaders squad so I'm guessing he is gonna call it a day?

The Rebels still have a few announcements to make, and you know how they love signing backrowers :lol:

The new boys will not come on until Richie is not the first choice no.7, his shadow looms ominously large over the sniffer role.
The RFU would have to approach McCaw and see what he felt about a mentoring role.

Yeah, that was my suggestion, effecitively force him to give up the starting role, and fall back into somthing similar to what Kevy has done for the last couple of years: A bench player for 10-20minutes per game, but quite clearly a player that offers a heck of a lot off the field. McCaw is still clearly good enough to be on the paddock so you dont lose anything by having him on the bench and with all those test caps walking out the door post RWC then perhaps it would be beneficial to keep him around for 1 more year??

It will be interesting to see what he choses to do!

- - - Updated - - -

The Rebels still have a few announcements to make, and you know how they love signing backrowers :lol:

Haha, you never know!

Last edited:
The old warhorse is going to want a rest...

- - - Updated - - -

Its only Wednesday, I'm already champing at the bit for the game to kick off.
Still there is the 3rd and 4th playoff to enjoy.

I suspect if he does decide to come back, which I could only imagine would be to help out the ABs, then he may well take a Super Rugby season off - a sabbatical or something, but sign on with the NZRU again with an ITM contract to take him through one more international year.

I suspect he genuinely hasnt made a decision yet nor given it a heck of a lot of thought. I'm also not clear what the NZRUs ideal situation would be. It's arguable whether or not they might be better off having a clean break and dealing with his loss from day 1 (post RWC) as opposed to the advantages they might get having him in the mix for another year....

If you guys could make the decision what do you think would be better for NZ Rugby?

Richie is contracted to the NZRU until the end of the 2016 season (signed a four year contract in 2012), but this will be hs final game, I think we can be pretty sure of that.

It wouldn't surprise me if he does retire - the signs are there and he has done everything you can do in Rugby - except coaching which may be his next challenge?

Given his demeanor he is not limited in option, he could easily do quite a few things

Coaching
Mentoring
Commentator
Motivational speaker

I reckon he knows it time, he knows about building phases for rugby and the importance of going out on a high.

43-21 semi-final by France in 1999 happened on the 31 of October...Also are the AB’s now based at Pennyhill park, now nick named as “camp looser†by the press after England, South Africa and Argentina have now moved out.

Even worse, I hear the All Blacks regularly train under ladders while a never-ending stream of highly-trained black cats (supplied and trained by those nefarious Ockers of course) walk directly in front of them!!!!!!11!!!

Last edited:
With Kev Mealamu, the reason he was retained is obviously his experience but also the fact there is no other good replacement. Guys like Hika, Parsons have not been able to seize the opportunity given to them. Codey Taylor looks good but he was only introduced to Test rugby this year.

We have some good opensides in the country up and coming. Frankly we need to start the next 4 year cycle where we can start seeing who will be the 2nd and 3rd back ups after Cane. Retaining McCaw just blocks the pathway for another player as he is not going to be around for another 4 years.

It's simple boys, if the big names don't front up in the AB's then we will not win this final.

Aussie are too good to let us off with a mediocre performance.
We know that Captain Fantastic will be everywhere but what about Kieran Read? What about Kaino?
Whats the makeup of our props for this one? Is Crockett coming back in? Or is he Crockett the Crocked?
Retallick and Whitlock need to be firing to bring us their crazy horse strength in the loose.
Aaron Smith needs to be at his sharpest.
DC needs to have his kicking radar on because even a small lead has a psychological advantage and Foley has been at a lower % in the knockout phases than he was in the RC.
Conrad, Ma'a, SBW all need to be on top format cover the ageing wizard Giteau.
Then what happens if Folau starts with a hiss and a roar.
Will the skud be too short for the high ball again ala Habana?
When will Barrett make his appearance with his grace and pace and cool head on attack.?
Will Vito be on the bench for this one to counter the 60 minute flagging point?
Our scrum looked strong against the Boks, but will it be on form to push the Wallaby pack around?

Our big names have to stand up and lead the way on the field.

It's simple boys, if the big names don't front up in the AB's then we will not win this final.

Aussie are too good to let us off with a mediocre performance.
We know that Captain Fantastic will be everywhere but what about Kieran Read? What about Kaino?
Whats the makeup of our props for this one? Is Crockett coming back in? Or is he Crockett the Crocked?
Retallick and Whitlock need to be firing to bring us their crazy horse strength in the loose.
Aaron Smith needs to be at his sharpest.
DC needs to have his kicking radar on because even a small lead has a psychological advantage and Foley has been at a lower % in the knockout phases than he was in the RC.
Conrad, Ma'a, SBW all need to be on top format cover the ageing wizard Giteau.
Then what happens if Folau starts with a hiss and a roar.
Will the skud be too short for the high ball again ala Habana?
When will Barrett make his appearance with his grace and pace and cool head on attack.?
Will Vito be on the bench for this one to counter the 60 minute flagging point?
Our scrum looked strong against the Boks, but will it be on form to push the Wallaby pack around?

Our big names have to stand up and lead the way on the field.

On Nehe's blunders in the previous game: I think people arent giving credit where its due. Habana and Du preez have been doing that box kick chase through thing for a LOOONG time and would easily be the best in the world at it. They caught out a relative newby to the international game in one match (they only got him twice I think before Ben started covering). Nehe will have had a week to dwell on it and practice and I really dont think it would be anywhere near as effective implemented by the Aussies. Australia do not have the personnel or the skill to pull that off consistently like those two boks did on the weekend. Genia is rubbish and anybody that says differently is full of crap.

Man for man I cant think of a player in the that Australian team id swap for. Im not concerned in any shape or form for this match. We have better players, coaches and backroom staff its a done deal.

Last edited:
No. 1 & No. 2 in the final is a fair reflection of how things turned out.