• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 4: Australia vs. Scotland (18/10/2015)

"It's easy to say Australia should thank the ref for their place in the Semi-Finals of the World Cup but Scotland should thank;

1) Foley for being terrible today, including his stupid kick that got charged down.

2) Slipper playing a moronic pass in the key pivot position which led to the intercept try. Why are Australian even putting a replacement prop in that position?

3) The non-existent defending at the ruck that led to the other Scottish try. Australia appeared to try their best to give Scotland some tries today.

Having said that it was a hell of a gritty, brave performance from Scotland, but once again they can't see the game out. Of course Joubert should have gone to the TMO, and the right decision may or may not have been reached. But that's life. Scotland have a good platform to build from after that performance. This young side need to put their disappointment behind them and learn from their mistakes.

Australia were the better side today when they weren't gifting points to the Scottish, and severely missed Folau as well as the one of the world's best players David Pocock. The Aussies got lucky today, had they put in this performance against Wales or England they would have been well and truly punished. There are still big question marks over Scotland's defending, Seymour's missed tackle early on was abhorrent, whilst they struggled massively with the maul off of the Australian line out. There are many areas that need to be improved upon before they can compete with a Southern Hemisphere side that actually turns up and plays well.

Scotland were gifted about 25 points through poor Australian play and Foley's poor boot, and whilst it was a great effort, and a very passionate performance, they are a long way off earning a victory against a fully-fit Rugby Championship side that doesn't try and commit rugby suicide on the pitch.

But like I said, still, well-played to the Scots who left everything out on that pitch, and came the closes of any NH side to the Semi-Finals."

https://www.facebook.com/FourBallsBlog/posts/1471282596514659

Today's game explemplifies why France should have hired Cotter when he left Clermont, he would have given our side a purpose.

Still an average Australia somehow managed to score 6 tries, that's something to highlight.

I am sure that with the likes of Pocock & Folau it will be a complete different story next game.

Game was great, scotland is on the good path. Who knows, maybe cotter will take them to 6n victory.
And Joubert isnt a cheater, he just cant handle pressure at all.

Wow and i thought the english were sooks.

Scotland played great, Australia were terrible and you still lost.
Move on.

Absolutely gutted.

But asides a great performance from both teams, thoughts on the obvious referee furore by a Scotland fan:

That last mistake by Joubert was not a big one. It is one many referees would make as 99% of the time it's the right call. He should have gone to the TMO, but are we going to do that for every offside call which has the slightest bit of doubt? We all love it when a referee takes charge and makes the decision.

HOWEVER, that being said, I thought the Auzzies slightly got the easier job. Three penalties against the same player at the scrum for the same infringement against the Auzzies and not even a warning? Also penalties on the try line and not even a talking to?

I won't be bitter about that though. I am proud we came away with dignity and I don't think I've ever seen a game where a referee makes it impossible to win. We were poor in a number of areas including decision making and defensive set up at times. Scotland isn't the finished product unlike Auz, NZ, Ireland or England who all have had most of their squads together a long time. We were always going to make mistakes. I'm just proud of the never say die attitude and dedication we showed.

Well played Australia and good luck.

Ooooof who ever made that last lineout call for Scotland will be having a few sleepless nights..
2 and a half minutes to go, Tipping down with rain, about 35m out from the try line and they go to the middle-back of the lineout.
I was shouting at the 10 TV to go to the front and was in utter disbelief when they put up the back pod.. They had to go with a low risk move, even if Aus had got it, they would have been defending from 35-40m out..
But hey ho Australia will be a different prospect with Pocock and Skelton back in the side, a valiant effort from the Scots.

Scotland isn't the finished product unlike Auz, NZ, Ireland or England who all have had most of their squads together a long time.
Something about that sentence doesn't seem quite right.

Last edited:
"It's easy to say Australia should thank the ref for their place in the Semi-Finals of the World Cup but Scotland should thank;

1) Foley for being terrible today, including his stupid kick that got charged down.

2) Slipper playing a moronic pass in the key pivot position which led to the intercept try. Why are Australian even putting a replacement prop in that position?

3) The non-existent defending at the ruck that led to the other Scottish try. Australia appeared to try their best to give Scotland some tries today.

Having said that it was a hell of a gritty, brave performance from Scotland, but once again they can't see the game out. Of course Joubert should have gone to the TMO, and the right decision may or may not have been reached. But that's life. Scotland have a good platform to build from after that performance. This young side need to put their disappointment behind them and learn from their mistakes.

Australia were the better side today when they weren't gifting points to the Scottish, and severely missed Folau as well as the one of the world's best players David Pocock. The Aussies got lucky today, had they put in this performance against Wales or England they would have been well and truly punished. There are still big question marks over Scotland's defending, Seymour's missed tackle early on was abhorrent, whilst they struggled massively with the maul off of the Australian line out. There are many areas that need to be improved upon before they can compete with a Southern Hemisphere side that actually turns up and plays well.

Scotland were gifted about 25 points through poor Australian play and Foley's poor boot, and whilst it was a great effort, and a very passionate performance, they are a long way off earning a victory against a fully-fit Rugby Championship side that doesn't try and commit rugby suicide on the pitch.

But like I said, still, well-played to the Scots who left everything out on that pitch, and came the closes of any NH side to the Semi-Finals."

I agree. Australia will be a different side in the Semifinal, a very tough side and they still are the favorites vs the Pumas.

Behave yerself, Scotland came within a bawhair of winning against a side that whipped your teams arse and you're no happy about that. Arrogance? Or a petted lip from your early exit?

As for Scotland being a long way off a victory against a big boys team? Bawlocks.

Next six nations will be very different for Scotland. Apart from the game against the mighty, all conquering English of course. :rolleyes:

Absolutely gutted.

But asides a great performance from both teams, thoughts on the obvious referee furore by a Scotland fan:

That last mistake by Joubert was not a big one. It is one many referees would make as 99% of the time it's the right call. He should have gone to the TMO, but are we going to do that for every offside call which has the slightest bit of doubt? We all love it when a referee takes charge and makes the decision.

When it's the final moments of a World Cup quarter final and there are two points in it at that stage then yes.

Scotland were robbed, they should be livid, horrible SH ref.

I'm guessing you only watched the one QF this weekend.
I think you need some context Scotland were bottom of the 6 nations and almost beat the top of the rugby championship. On equal measure the 3rd place RC team beat the place 6 nation team. Wales the 3rd place team almost beat the last place team in SA.

I think whilst the NH were obviously at the wrong end of results the concept they are miles behind is simply wrong.

Last edited:
When it's the final moments of a World Cup quarter final and there are two points in it at that stage then yes.

If this doesn't prompt the IRB to extend the use of the TMO then nothing will. We have officials to ensure that the game's laws are adhered to which should in turn help ensure the right result. All the officiating that went on during the previous 88 minutes went out of the window because of one bad call. Surely lessons have to learned and that the TMO can be called upon in decisions that could influence the result.

Every decision a ref make can influence a result especially when a penalty is concerned...

I think you need some context Scotland were bottom of the 6 nations and almost beat the top of the rugby championship. On equal measure the 3rd place RC team beat the place 6 nation team. Wales the 3rd place team almost beat the last place team in SA.

I think whilst the NH were obviously at the wrong end of results the concept they are miles behind is simply wrong.

The 6 nations campaign isn't long enough to conclude on who the best NH team is in a particular year. Should be home and away fixtures in order to properly conclude.

Latest posts