• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 2: Australia vs. Argentina (25/10/2015)

In my opinion Pocock is better than McCaw at jackling the ball, McCaw is better at spoiling/slowing opposition ruck ball. Both are great players.

Agreed for the McCaw of the past as he was like teflon as slowing the ball and taking an age to roll away. However today with the way the breakdown is been refereed this has made McCaw not as affective, and has given away far more penalties over the last couple years.

I think Foley has tendencies to let the pressure get to him in big games. Inconsistent if you will. I think he's still a brilliant player, but yeah. Play Quade if you have some balls :p

Man... hitting the wall big time now. Went to bed at 11, got up at 3am to watch the game and then went to the gym. Was fine at first, but am now really struggling...

Or as one poster on G&GR put it:
goggles-meme-jpg.7151

I forced myself to bed at 8PM last night, I'm hanging in but not by much. 2 nights in a row catches up with you.

It's nice that it is a public holiday here. Been a pretty unproductive Sunday and Monday though.

For teams like England, Australia, NZ, France or SA, it is usual to reach finals in the RWC, but for the Argentina's Rugby to be between the 4 finalist is a big achievement. That's why the third place is important for us.
It actually would have been important for England too if Stuart Lancaster's young team could've clinched 3rd place at a home World Cup against another strong semi-finalist, it would've been seen as a positive and something to build on for 2019 (not dissimilar to Argentina).

Unfortunately they weren't even good enough to get out of their pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh dear! It just shows you, how internet messages can give the wrong impression. You have no idea who I am, so you have jumped to the wrong conclusion. I am a seventy-one year old grandmother, who has watched husband, son and now grandsons, playing rugby for over fifty years!

Yep and your anti-All Black resentment is clearly evident if you're referring to any All Black game as "boring". Amazing the bubble of denial and delusion some of you live in.
You really want to attack a grandmother over a sports team? The New Zealand rugby union team don't know or care about you whereas this is an (elderly) person who is taking the time out of her day to speak to you. Show some maturity and respect for goodness sake man.

The Argies came out without their game head on and start the game throwing silly passes across the backline that gave Rob Simmons a 5 pointer under the posts.
Then they failed to cover properly on 'first phase ball' a short while later and a simple cut out pass saw AAC touch down without a hand on him, glaring defensive errors in the first 15 minutes and that was the game right there.
The Aussies looked a bit shocked that it had been so easy. They were not expecting to score on first phase ball. The Aussie plan is to work opposition teams through the phases left to right until they get close enough to strike and by that time many teams are out of step and cough up penalties for offside or leave a door open for a scuttle to the line.
To score on the first phase like that showed a schoolboy defensive rushing error, similar to the one that Brad Barritt instigated against Wales that allowed the Welsh to get around the English defensive screen and rush up field to score their only try of the game.

14 nil and Argentina hadn't even fired a shot in earnest.
Thats the way to lose RWC semi finals right there.
Aussie can put 14 points on any team but to 'gift' it to them is incomprehensible if you harbour any thoughts or desire to get to the final.
The Pumas looked like they didn't have a plan and then the sin binning from another pointless error. The RWC has shown us that you must use your arms when you tackle and this big lump ran forward and simply threw himself at Folau's legs about knee height. That is dangerous and it was always going to catch the eye of the pedant Mr Barnes.
I thought a penalty would be enough but he carded him and that was the shutting of the door because in that time the Puma forwards had to do a lot of defensive tackling which meant by the 60th minute when they were hoping to get back into the game the puma forwards were fading and the last 20 is when you need to be accelerating your intensity. Sadly the Pumas were out on their feet trying one out runs like a northern hemisphere team.
The Argie scrum purchased them some penalties and they pinched some Aussie line out ball and they kicked their way up the scoreboard and made it look mildly interesting for a while but one always had the feeling that Aussie were going to wake up and collar the Puma and so they did in a strange manner where a brilliant run by Mitchell ended in a wobbly bobbly old pass to AAC for yet another unhindered try.
The Aussies did make a lot of tackles Alan, but against easily readable one out hit ups that lacked support or imagination or enough raw aggression to break the line.
That kind of tackling is a training run.
The Pumas were woeful and it looked like they had not organised their mental set to go to the next level after having achieved a Finals spot.
They also lack the experience to be found in a Wallaby team that carries so many caps.
Sadly the Pumas fans have to stand up and accept that their team under performed on the big stage.
However, they are young and their time will come in 4 years when they mature and become more dangerous and experienced.

It's nice that it is a public holiday here. Been a pretty unproductive Sunday and Monday though.

I was wondering why my brother in law was drunk at the pub at lunchtime, then he mentioned it was a public holiday over in NZ :)

I was wondering why my brother in law was drunk at the pub at lunchtime, then he mentioned it was a public holiday over in NZ :)

It's really annoying me how they've had these ****ty Monday morning games, but mostly because I work for a Japanese government body and we get a tonne of Mondays off due to all their public holidays but non of them have fallen in this window. That said, we get next Tuesday off.

It's really annoying me how they've had these ****ty Monday morning games, but mostly because I work for a Japanese government body and we get a tonne of Mondays off due to all their public holidays but non of them have fallen in this window. That said, we get next Tuesday off.

Tell me about it, I've taken next Monday off and we get Melbourne Cup off so it's an extra long weekend. Hopefully still celebrating :)
Although my wife is a kiwi and we're currently discussing the best way we can watch the game separately :D

Tell me about it, I've taken next Monday off and we get Melbourne Cup off so it's an extra long weekend. Hopefully still celebrating :)
Although my wife is a kiwi and we're currently discussing the best way we can watch the game separately :D

Haha yeah that would be a tense evening watching it together!

Tie her up to the bed and let her watch on the small TV!:D

You married a Kiwi girl?
I salute you Sir, is it that you're married or are you naturally round shouldered?

The Argies came out without their game head on and start the game throwing silly passes across the backline that gave Rob Simmons a 5 pointer under the posts.
Then they failed to cover properly on 'first phase ball' a short while later and a simple cut out pass saw AAC touch down without a hand on him, glaring defensive errors in the first 15 minutes and that was the game right there.
The Aussies looked a bit shocked that it had been so easy. They were not expecting to score on first phase ball. The Aussie plan is to work opposition teams through the phases left to right until they get close enough to strike and by that time many teams are out of step and cough up penalties for offside or leave a door open for a scuttle to the line.
To score on the first phase like that showed a schoolboy defensive rushing error, similar to the one that Brad Barritt instigated against Wales that allowed the Welsh to get around the English defensive screen and rush up field to score their only try of the game.

14 nil and Argentina hadn't even fired a shot in earnest.
Thats the way to lose RWC semi finals right there.
Aussie can put 14 points on any team but to 'gift' it to them is incomprehensible if you harbour any thoughts or desire to get to the final.
The Pumas looked like they didn't have a plan and then the sin binning from another pointless error. The RWC has shown us that you must use your arms when you tackle and this big lump ran forward and simply threw himself at Folau's legs about knee height. That is dangerous and it was always going to catch the eye of the pedant Mr Barnes.
I thought a penalty would be enough but he carded him and that was the shutting of the door because in that time the Puma forwards had to do a lot of defensive tackling which meant by the 60th minute when they were hoping to get back into the game the puma forwards were fading and the last 20 is when you need to be accelerating your intensity. Sadly the Pumas were out on their feet trying one out runs like a northern hemisphere team.
The Argie scrum purchased them some penalties and they pinched some Aussie line out ball and they kicked their way up the scoreboard and made it look mildly interesting for a while but one always had the feeling that Aussie were going to wake up and collar the Puma and so they did in a strange manner where a brilliant run by Mitchell ended in a wobbly bobbly old pass to AAC for yet another unhindered try.
The Aussies did make a lot of tackles Alan, but against easily readable one out hit ups that lacked support or imagination or enough raw aggression to break the line.
That kind of tackling is a training run.
The Pumas were woeful and it looked like they had not organised their mental set to go to the next level after having achieved a Finals spot.
They also lack the experience to be found in a Wallaby team that carries so many caps.
Sadly the Pumas fans have to stand up and accept that their team under performed on the big stage.
However, they are young and their time will come in 4 years when they mature and become more dangerous and experienced.

I do generally agree with this. I was very disappointed in Argentina, particularly given their fine performance against Ireland. I remember writing on one of the threads just recently, a very interesting comment an All Black made quite some years ago, in talking of their great consistency and success, that even if they are under the cosh and not just in their half but close to their try line, if they turn over the ball or win a scrum and the ball, they think attack, but definitely not in a gung-ho or undisciplined way, but as a sort of almost calculating mind-set. I think that's one of the keys to why they are always so dangerous. In fact, if you harness and lock such a mind-set into a strong disciplined approach, you can easily work out for yourself just how ruthless they can be, as they well showed against France, so you know you daren't take your eyes off them for a second.

Argentina in the first 15 minutes or so, epitomised, in my opinion, what can go wrong if you embrace attack in a gung-ho and undisciplined way. I like the way the All Blacks think their play and game, and it beats me why other countries do not take this on board. I mean, after all, it's just a country, beautiful, yes, and very friendly and likable people, but their players aren't super-human and built bigger and stronger than any other international players, generally speaking.

Conceding a try in the 1st/2nd minute of the game will always have a massive psychological blow. Only very strong mentally tough teams get through those.

Actually glad it didn't turn into an embarrassing rout after that opening try. I was genuinely ****ed off, no one apart from Scotland have played well vs Australia and given away stupid points. Argentina on their day are a better team than that and it was disappointing they didn't play to their potential. This has to be the most disappointing performance in the RWC from any team putting aside England.

Actually glad it didn't turn into an embarrassing rout after that opening try. I was genuinely ****ed off, no one apart from Scotland have played well vs Australia and given away stupid points. Argentina on their day are a better team than that and it was disappointing they didn't play to their potential. This has to be the most disappointing performance in the RWC from any team putting aside England.

Yeah, I do kind of agree. My opinion that for this to be an interesting contest, Argentina would either have to start well or try first. The two minute try killed any hope of a Pumas win. Effectively, potentially an enjoyable 60-80 mins of rugby was over in two minutes.

Congrats to the Aussies, never looked like you were going to lose. Argentina, keep your heads up. You lost against a really good team. See you in the 3rd place play-offs, can't see SA performing there to be honest. Just hope there is no further injuries, senseless game for me.

Latest posts