Stormers
Super%20Rugby.png

AMI Stadium, Christchurch
140726044408192624.png
Versus%20Super.png
140623040727904882.png

19:55 Local, (NZ, GMT+13)
Teams

Crusaders: Colin Slade, Robbie Fruean, Kieron Fonotia, Tom Taylor, Johnny McNicholl, Daniel Carter, Mitchell Drummond, Luke Whitelock, Matt Todd (captain), Richie McCaw, Dominic Bird, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Ben Funnell, Joe Moody. Reserves: Codie Taylor, Alex Hodgman, Wyatt Crockett, Scott Barrett, Jordan Taufua, Billy Guyton, Ryan Crotty, Nathaniel Apa.

Rebels: TBA

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait for the teams to be named and I'm hoping the Rebels can ambush the Crusaders at home. Crusaders are notorious slow starters but always seem to use their home ground advantage more than others so who knows.

Crusaders:

1. Joe Moody
2. Ben Funnell
3. Owen Franks
4. Luke Romano
5. Dominic Bird
6. Richie McCaw
7. Matt Todd (c)
8. Luke Whitelock
9. Mitchell Drummond
10. Daniel Carter
11. Johnny McNicholl
12. Tom Taylor
13. Kieron Fonotia
14. Robbie Fruean
15. Colin Slade

Replacements:

16. Codie Taylor
17. Alex Hodgman
18. Wyatt Crockett
19. Scott Barrett
20. Jordan Taufua
21. Billy Guyton
22. Ryan Crotty
23. Nathaniel Apa

Not what i expected in the centers but a good line-up non the less seeing as the 'Saders are resting a few. How is Drummond? From what I can gather he is more of a organizer/passer rather than a sniping/running 9?

Man that's a gun team right there, anybody know what round Read and Sam Whitelock are due back?

no Nadolo or Read is great for the Rebels but still a solid lineup from the Crusaders

Rebels lineup:

1. Toby Smith ,2. Pat Leafa,3. Laurie Weeks ,4. Luke Jones,5. Lopeti Timani ,6. Sean McMahon ,7. Colby Fainga'a ,8. Scott Higginbotham ,9. Nic Stirzaker,10. Jack Debreczeni ,11. Tom English ,12. Mitch Inman ,13. Tamati Ellison ,14. Dom Shipperley *,15. Mike Harris *

Replacements : 16. Ben Whittaker *,17. Cruze Ah-Nau ,18. Paul Alo-Emile ,19. Sam Jeffries ,20. Scott Fuglistaller ,21. Luke Burgess ,22. Bryce Hegarty ,23. Sefanaia Naivalu **

Interesting Robbie Fruean on the wing...I guess they figured Fonotia's defense was better than Fruean's.

Not at all a fan of Blackadder's insistence on putting centres on the wing in any case. Rarely are they ever particularly great at making the most of any space created. I guess it's better than the extremely average Nafi Tuitavake. Shame Jone Macilai got injured as I really rate him from the last ITM Cup.

The anticipation is killing me! Not just for the game, but to see if I still get the games since changing my DTV sports package. Counting down the seconds...

EDIT: YAY! It's a go! I still get my live Super Rugby coverage! AND it starts off with a healthy dose of Justin Marshall! Wooooo! :D

das

- - - Updated - - -

Did that Rebel just try to stomp on Richie's grapes?

das

Last edited:
that was not a yellow card. very harsh.

Looked a bit to me like he was purposely aiming for McCaw's wee bits. And he stomped repeatedly, so it wasn't just an accidental foot placement.

das

- - - Updated - - -

I think Marshall just called Whitelock Kieran Read... :p

das

- - - Updated - - -

Wow...first try to the Rebels! I might have to re-think the whole 'Crusaders are gonna walk away with this one' thing that I was so sure about coming into this game.

das

And the 'Saders have a quick reply! And Carter converts! 10-7, Crusaders.

das

- - - Updated - - -

And is it just me, or do the Rebels' jerseys make them look like skeleton men from the back?

das

The more I see of Carter the more I think its going to be an absolute miracle if he makes the WC.

And the season is started where the last one left off with more ridiculous pedantic refereeing. The day they decided to review calls in game on the big screen was an absolute disaster imo.

Rebels player yellowed for NOTHING!!!

Last edited:
wow, first game of the season and already dodgy ref calls. :(
another very dubious yellow.

The more I see of Carter the more I think its going to be an absolute miracle if he makes the WC.

Yeah, I'm getting that feeling, too. Shame, because at this point I don't think NZ has a decent boot in the bunch. Carter's health is increasingly iffy, and both Cruden and Barrett are inconsistent. (Haven't seen Slade lately, so no idea how he's doing.) I just get this feeling that the ABs put all their eggs in the Carter basket and waited too long to develop reliable talent with the boot.

- - - Updated - - -

wow, first game of the season and already dodgy ref calls. :(
another very dubious yellow.

If it wasn't for dodgy ref calls we'd have nothing to gripe - I mean - talk about! :D

das

Wow, this Nick Stirzacker looks like a real talent. Great break away try.

Wow, this Nick Stirzacker looks like a real talent. Great break away try.

I'm starting to think I voted for the wrong team to win at the top of this thread. I would be a terrible gambler. :p

It was a good try. Aaaand I just keep telling myself that the Crusaders always start off the season in poor form...

das

Latest posts