• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Super Rugby] New Zealand Squads/Pre-season Discussion

This really sneaked up on me this year. I recently changed by satellite package so I'm hoping I'll still be getting the rugby channel I've watched over the past few years. Not sure if it's included in my new package, or not (won't know until I try to watch a game). Anyhoo... I'll be rooting for the 'Saders again this year. I just hope they get out of the gate a bit faster this year. I know they're a slow start, gradual build sort of team, but last year they looked really rusty too many games in, imo.

das

I've always wondered why crowds for Super Rugby games are not more significant. It seems that the Eden Park or the Forsyth Barr Stadium (which are big stadiums I admit that) are so empty for Super Rugby and not when the All Blacks play.
Is it because of a lack of interest for the competition or maybe the ticket prices? Is it the same for the ITM Cup (which I watch just occasionally)?

I've always wondered why crowds for Super Rugby games are not more significant. It seems that the Eden Park or the Forsyth Barr Stadium (which are big stadiums I admit that) are so empty for Super Rugby and not when the All Blacks play.
Is it because of a lack of interest for the competition or maybe the ticket prices? Is it the same for the ITM Cup (which I watch just occasionally)?

I think its more to do with ticket prices - and the matches are broadcast live. If you look at somewhere like Dunedin - the population is a bit over 125,000 - so selling out a 30,000 seat stadium every week is quite unlikely. Overall I think its more to do with teams not being successful, ticket prices being high, and people preferably watching games on subscription television which they already pay for. Its a shame really but taking Wellington as an example, the team has consistently underperformed, ticket prices are still too high - especially considering we're only pulling in crowds of 12-14k.

The ITM Cup is probably a lot worse for attendances, particularly in the bigger centers which get Super Rugby games.

I think low ticket sales are mostly down to two things; too much rugby being played over the space of a year, and a lack of 'regional pride' in the main centres.

In a year there are around 15 AB's games (which most rugby fans watch), 16 + Super Rugby rounds, and then about a dozen ITM Cup rounds. Because of this most people tend to be a lot more selective about which games they watch, meaning ITM Cup games get low attendances (because there's no All Blacks, etc). Most people in NZ also don't care/know too much about the SA teams and weaker Aus teams in the Super Rugby competition, which means these games tend to get low attendances as well.

To top it all off, there's a lot less 'regional pride' in the club teams these days as there used to be in the past, especially in the bigger cities like Auckland and Wellington. In the smaller cities like Dunedin (Highlanders) and Hamilton (Chiefs) it seems like a large portion of the people from those regions are supporting the team, but in places like Auckland and Wellington there isn't a lot of interest in whether the team does well or not.

Last edited:
Thanks bric6 and TRF_nickdnz for the reply.
In France, rugby fans don't pay attention to other competitions and it's unfortunate. I think the level is by far better in Super Rugby than in Top 14.
But we see very often many more people in Top 14 games (even in Pro D2) than in Super Rugby. Surprising!

I don't think ticket prices are very high at all.

Westpac Stadium: $27 platinum covered.
Eden Park: $30 South Stand
AMI Park: $34 Silver
Waikato Stadium: $28 family zone
Forsyth Barr: Speights Stand $27.50

Those are relatively cheap.

Our crowds have to do with a lack of customer focus in creating a positive match going experience.

Latest posts