• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 5: France vs. England (19/03/2016)

I think Eddie is going to attack wider. Win the gain line in midfield - I expect to see some of our forwards out there a bit more as France's backs bar Vakatawa are relatively small. Care is quicker to the breakdown and has a better long pass from the lineout. Ford was a long way from Youngs on lineout set plays and Youngs struggled with the longer passes. This also happened a bit in the Wales game. They seem to want the channel between the back of the lineout and Ford to be quite big to allow for moves inside and outside Ford.

What we do know is Eddie adjusts the game plan for different teams - it is a tactical switch rather then Youngs being dropped for overall under performance I think.

Woodward always loved or keep the opposition guessing. This is more of the same.

Winning the GS in France would be so sweet, but despite all the talk about France rebuilding and not at their best, the match ain't won yet.
This England team is not infallible and came close to defeat last Saturday after having dominated for three quarters of the game.

The choice of Mako to start is a good one, as he is a stronger carrier than Marler, and I'd like to see the French pack begin to tire sooner than the English.
The selection of scrum half is 50/50 for me and I'd have been equally happy if Youngs were starting.

France will not look forward to Manu appearing on the 60 minute mark, but by that time England should be on their way to victory.

They have obviously watched the Scotland game and seen the effect of playing at a high pace against France. France have also had one fewer day off - a significant disadvantage.

France have big gain line tacklers but not so much bulk in midfield these days. Expect Billy and co to appear slightly wider especially off first phase. At the very least this selection keeps France guessing as to England's game plan. It is so refreshing to have a coach who realises that you can't be predictable. Against Wales they used Billy as decoy so well and got loads of other runners into the game.

Also Care will, more often than Youngs, put the ball in the fly half hands straight away rather than checking for a break first. It is no coincidence that Ford has looked less good since Stringer left Bath. Horne had a great game for Scotland, partly because they allowed him to take it to the line all the time. Mako will also increase the distraction - another carrier to keep an eye on.

Great analysis.

The choice of Mako to start is a good one, as he is a stronger carrier than Marler, and I'd like to see the French pack begin to tire sooner than the English.

He is, but he's seldom as effective when he starts and I'd have thought his carrying would have more impact against tired legs. Any prop's primary job is scrummaging and tbh Mako's seems to have regressed; Marler may have his boring issues, but Mako ends up nose down in the turf far too often and is a penalty waiting to happen.

I wish one of Youngs/Care would really grab the bull by the horns and produce a string of world class performances over a year (the closest we got was Care one 6 nations). Neither has done anything to prove they own the England 9 shirt and as such we've flipped flopped between the two for what seams like an eternity. They both have the potential to be world class on their day but god it's frustrating in all the other matches.

I wish one of Youngs/Care would really grab the bull by the horns and produce a string of world class performances over a year (the closest we got was Care one 6 nations). Neither has done anything to prove they own the England 9 shirt and as such we've flipped flopped between the two for what seams like an eternity. They both have the potential to be world class on their day but god it's frustrating in all the other matches.

Agreed, but won't happen. Both have 50+ caps; if it was going to happen it would have happened by now. Fraid we're going to have to wait for someone else....

I hope Simpson is in the running come the summer. His ceiling might be a smidge lower but his off-days are also far rarer

I hope Simpson is in the running come the summer. His ceiling might be a smidge lower but his off-days are also far rarer

He will struggle to get his place back at club level the way Dan Robson is playing, who I think should be looked at by Eddie Jones.

He is, but he's seldom as effective when he starts and I'd have thought his carrying would have more impact against tired legs. Any prop's primary job is scrummaging and tbh Mako's seems to have regressed; Marler may have his boring issues, but Mako ends up nose down in the turf far too often and is a penalty waiting to happen.

If his scrummaging is in doubt, then he shouldn't be there! He's been picked to do a job and to be an integral part of the English pack getting the upper hand for the first 60 minutes and building an insurmountable lead (like last Saturday!)

I just want someone consistent at this stage -good point on his fitness though.

I agree that Simpson will be in the running but I would have Robson over him.

He has taken his chance extremely well and, for me at least, has the most rounded skillset of all our scrum halves. He might not be quite as rapid as Simpson but he's not exactly slow and his pass of both sides (short & long) is the most accurate.

And he's only 23.

Out of interest:

Youngs (26)
Care (29)
Simpson (27)
Wigglesworth (32)
Chudley (27)
Dickson (30)
Spencer (23)
Cook (24)
Young (27)

Last edited:
There is much talk about Grand Slams and Champions looks like England only have to turn up!!!!!!! Over confidence could be their downfall, somehow i don't think France are going to lay down and give it to them, so the team has been picked to stop this Grand Slam nonsense, and FTD is not kicking duty given to Machenaud!!!!

France were 3 points away from having no wins in this 6N, whilst we haven't won the game yet, let's not pretend France are performing at a level that is anything above dire. You could have been on course for another wooden spoon.

Spencer and Robson are certainly the most promising scrum halves for English rugby.

Youngs only 26 damn.

Yeh I like spencer . He could fit into this England team well with his abrasive personality . He can at least be another England player the Welsh will hate

I don't understand dropping Youngs after his best performance of the 6 Nations. Very odd.

Cannot agree with that, his passing was even worse than usual. Happy to see Care given a shot, but like many above frustrated at the ongoing flip-flopping between them. That's nothing new though.

I agree with posters above that Mako might be a better bench option, though. Would like to see him the medium-term starter if his scrummaging can improve, but right now lie khim as an impact sub.

France have been pretty merde overall, however England have shown a worrying inability to turn pressure into points, and when Ireland did that France punished them. We're far from world beaters, we've played very well in patches and well enough overall to beat two perennial wooden spooners away and two underwhelming teams at home (while failing to convert dominance).

What I'm saying - we should beat France, on form. But I wouldn't be that surprised if we didn't. Still sticking a tenner on it though!

Edit: 1/3 on Betfair, on second thoughts maybe not such a good idea.

Last edited:
And he's only 23.

Out of interest:

Youngs (26)
Care (29)
Simpson (27)
Wigglesworth (32)
Chudley (27)
Dickson (30)
Spencer (23)
Cook (24)
Young (27)

For fear of pedantry, Chudley is 28 today according to Facebook! It's a shame that he came to top flight rugby so late, he would never have been a world beater, but could have been a consistent option for England during a period when consistent performances have been sadly lacking.

There is much talk about Grand Slams and Champions looks like England only have to turn up!!!!!!! Over confidence could be their downfall, somehow i don't think France are going to lay down and give it to them, so the team has been picked to stop this Grand Slam nonsense, and FTD is not kicking duty given to Machenaud!!!!

OK, I'll bite. What makes you think that England are overconfident? If other posters are right that Care has been brought in to target the French midfield, then surely says that Jones is taking the opposition seriously.

I don't follow the popular press, maybe there are signs of overconfidence there.

On this forum, the only comments that I've seen from respected posters seem reasonable - England are favourites, but it's far from a foregone conclusion.

Maybe one of us is misinterpreting the signals. I'd be interested to know why you think that England are overconfident.

Latest posts