• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016: Rugby Is Back In The Olympics!

O

O'Rothlain

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympic_games/8292584.stm)</div>
The International Olympic Committee's executive board voted to include both two months ago and the full membership confirmed the decision on Friday.

Golf was passed by 63 votes to 27 while rugby sevens had 81 votes in favour and eight against.

IOC president Jacques Rogge told delegates: "Time will show your decision was very wise."[/b]
We're in "The Games"! Wooo! :bravo:

Well half of us are.

I wonder if the Irish will actually start playing it now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 9 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well half of us are.

I wonder if the Irish will actually start playing it now.[/b]
Olympic sports get government funding. I imagine since Ireland are good at rugby that ROI will definitely put funds at a sport which they have the potential of qualifying for a medal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Oct 9 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 9 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well half of us are.

I wonder if the Irish will actually start playing it now.[/b]
Olympic sports get government funding. I imagine since Ireland are good at rugby that ROI will definitely put funds at a sport which they have the potential of qualifying for a medal.
[/b][/quote]

I'd be surprised, they'll probably put the money into the golf as there's a better chance of a medal there.

Oi! Quit the pity party Irish dudes! This is GREAT news for rugby. Truly historic!

Brilliant news. Can't beat having more Sevens around....

Not quite sure about the inclusion of golf in the Olympics though. Things like golf, football, tennis.... I can't really see how or why they deserve to have Olympic status. It's not as if there aren't enough international competitions with these sports already....

RIO DE JANEIRO 2016,the rugby games play at the são januario stadium and i'm will in the games.
this is opportunity for Brazilians people know Rugby.in Brazil rugby don't much know.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (clayton @ Oct 9 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
RIO DE JANEIRO 2016,the rugby games play at the são januario stadium and i'm will in the games.
this is opportunity for Brazilians people know Rugby.in Brazil rugby don't much know.[/b]

rio-de-janeiro.jpg

Jesus will have the best view of all for the inagural Olympic 7's!

Sensational news! Lucky in Australia we have 7 invariably covering the games, so as soon as the Aussies get knocked out that'll be the end of the coverage. On the bright side the TriNations teams will have access to International and S14 players, something we don't normally get in the sevens.

Wonder what format they have planned? Groups, quarters, semis, final?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Oct 9 2009, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (clayton @ Oct 9 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this is opportunity for Brazilians people know Rugby.in Brazil rugby don't much know.[/b]

rio-de-janeiro.jpg

Jesus will have the best view of all for the inagural Olympic 7's!
[/b][/quote]

Awesome news! I can't wait! Claps to everyone that worked to make this happen. :bravo:

I am definitely going to go to Brazil in 2016!

Argentina winning the gold medal in football again + Rugby 7's + Awesome country = PARADISE.

Hereby I give you the official spot for Rio 2016, ***led "A Cidade Maravillosa" (A Marvellous City):

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rddn99wl6Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rddn99wl6Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

That news made my week. Great, great day for Rugby. Now let's just hope Rugby 7's will get good coverage!

Great news, will only be good for the game if teams like China, Russia, etc. start funding their rugby teams :)

I wonder will we see first choice test internationals from the top 10 countries in the Olympic Games?

Brilliant news. As has been said by others, countries like Russia, USA and China may now pump serious money into the sport which will have a knock on effect on the XV man game.

Good on Bernard Lapasset. In his two years in office he's overseen Argentina's likely inclusion into an expanded Quad Nations, the World Cup delivered outside of the main nations for the first time and now Olympic inclusion for Sevens. As long as he's chairman of the IRB the sport is in good hands.

And let us not forget about the delegates that presented this project. Without them little would have been achieved. Agustin Pichot deserves a mention -- this guy has done SO much for Rugby, more so since he retired.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
YAY FOR RUGBY and were STILL THE CHAMPS *****ES HAHA!!![/b]

You guys will probably win the gold medal once more...

NOT! :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Oct 10 2009, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Brilliant news. As has been said by others, countries like Russia, USA and China may now pump serious money into the sport which will have a knock on effect on the XV man game.

Good on Bernard Lapasset. In his two years in office he's overseen Argentina's likely inclusion into an expanded Quad Nations, the World Cup delivered outside of the main nations for the first time and now Olympic inclusion for Sevens. As long as he's chairman of the IRB the sport is in good hands.[/b]

and the ELVs. But yes, I see your point.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Oct 10 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Oct 10 2009, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Oct 10 2009, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
STILL THE CHAMPS *****ES HAHA!!![/b]
Pretty sure you weren't even in the top 10 for 7s last year :p
[/b][/quote]

we won the last time the olympics had rugby 1920 and 1924. Its all we got going for us over here : (.
[/b][/quote]

Don't worry mate, that will change in a few years. The biggest setback hindering Rugby from being quite popular in the USA is American Football; but hopefully, with the rising performances of the Eagles, coupled up with the increasing number of players there that start to play in Europe, people will begin to follow the sport with renewed enthusiasm. :cheers:

I've played American Football quite a lot of times, and I don't want to make a comparison with Rugby, but to me the latter is more entertaining -- and more importantly, it champions a totally different variety of values like comradeship, loyalty, sacrifice, and altruism; things that we don't get to see in American Football. Most of the players are empty headed show offs. :mellow:

All of the above should help develop the sport there, in the long run. I can really see parents choosing Rugby over A. Football.

Latest posts