• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 British & Irish Lions Squad Announcement

Gutted for Billy. Was one of the few I thought was a nailed on test starter. Faletau is a world class too, so hoping it won't hit our hopes to hard. Might mean CJ at 6 tho for more carrying power.

:(

Billy is a huge loss, Heaslip is still injured.

Is Strauss still injured? I just can't understand leaving yourself with 1 8 when you're taking 8 back rowers. Makes no sense. Even if Strauss and Heaslip are bpth injured surely there are still better 8 options than Haskell. Hughes, Morgan, Conan...

Heaslip sure ain't fit right now. I think if we want someone who can replace Vunipola to some extent Stander could be put to 8.
Yeah Agreed, Stander will be moved to 8. Haskell will play at 6.

I think branding Stander as a 6 who can play 8 is a bit of a misnomer. He plays all his provincial rugby at 8 after all which is the overwhelming majority of his games.

Shame about Binny. I think Gatland will pick Faletau at 8 for the tests now. Well done to Haskell (subject to Premiership final) - finally a Lion.

You're flirting with, or at the very least stroking the buttocks of stupidity with this post.
Comparing his hands and vision to Vunipola, Faletau, Read or Heaslip would show it. Possibly the best 6 in the world, not as good at 8.

Haskell is a strange call in my opinion, wouldn't start for Leinster or Munster imo, I'd have considered Leavy, he's going to be world class, or Conan, closer to a like for like swap, Robshaw, best available backrow, ahead of him. Very mediocre player Hask is imo.

Comparing his hands and vision to Vunipola, Faletau, Read or Heaslip would show it. Possibly the best 6 in the world, not as good at 8.

Haskell is a strange call in my opinion, wouldn't start for Leinster or Munster imo, I'd have considered Leavy, he's going to be world class, or Conan, closer to a like for like swap, Robshaw, best available backrow, ahead of him. Very mediocre player Hask is imo.
Oh I was largely taking a sly personal dig at you. Agree re Hask. Like him as a player, but not particularly outstanding in any aspect of his game.

Yeh haskell for me was the weakest back rower in the Prem games.

I don't mind
6) Stander
7) Warburton
8) TF

20) POM

Mid week
6) SOB
7) Tips
8) Moriarty

20) Haskell

But the balance has taken a huge knock with Billy being injured.

**** me that was not what I expected or wanted to see checking the BBC sport page before bed...
Massive shame for Billy.
Currently Haskell isn't the best 6.5 at Wasps, he looks a little off - honestly since the last injury he hasn't quite recovered that storming form when he was man of the series in Australia. I believe on that form he would have been a justified pick, but not so sure now. Still, glad for him, absolutely.

Haskell will be a good, popular character on tour. Will gee everyone up, but also won't sulk if not picked for the test team.

Massive loss. Whatever approach the Lions were going to take (starting him or bringing him on as an impact sub), I was expecting him to have a huge impact on the tests.

Stander and TF are sure fire starters now imo (I may have been inclined to start them even if Binny was there), but it opens a spot on the bench. Big opportunity for the likes of Moriarty, SOB, POM, Tips and Hask.

I really thought we'd call up another 8. I like Haskell as a 6 but we do look very short of 8s. For me the backrow should be

6: POM
7. Warbs
8. Stander

20.Toby F

I just think we get a better balance that way rather than starting Falateu

Fair enough if Heaslip is injured, we are struggling a bit for 8 options then. I definitely don't think Nathan Hughes earned a call up after a bit of a lack luster 6 nations and I think Struass is still injured, not sure though. Probably means that Stander is guaranteed to start. 6 or 8 I'm not sure though but I imagine Gatland would go with Faleteau over POM. But I would be happy with either to be honest.

Latest posts