• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 British & Irish Lions Squad Announcement

I wouldn't be counting SOB out just yet, a run of fitness and I could see him pushing Warbs to 6 and Stander to the bench. If he hits his top form he's the best backrow on that plane.

I really thought we'd call up another 8. I like Haskell as a 6 but we do look very short of 8s. For me the backrow should be

6: POM
7. Warbs
8. Stander

20.Toby F

I just think we get a better balance that way rather than starting Falateu

Isn't POM an 8 normally anyway, but plays 6 for Ireland? I might have him confused with Stander though, not sure.

Anyways, really gutted for Vunipola, as he was so deserving of his place and was looking forward to seeing him play. But with Faletau, Warburton, Tipuric, O'Mahony, Stander and Haskell, we've still got one hell of a back row to choose from.

Big shame for Billy. As Faletau had found some form towards the end of the season I'd probably have had him starting with Billy on the bench, but either way he'd have had a role to play. Hask is a strange replacement though, he's not an 8 and if picking another flanker I'd have gone with Robshaw. All 4 of those have missed big chunks of the season though injury. Welcome to the modern game.

From both English and Lions perspectives, Sarries scrummaging over the last couple of weeks has raised some questions. 4 of the Sarries front 5 are touring, and of those I can only see Kruis starting in the tests. The really interesting one is Itoje; he's not starring as he did last year - maybe a bit of second season syndrome, bit of being worked out, but for all his merits he still seems underpowered for a lock to me. Might he enter the back row equation on tour?

I wouldn't be counting SOB out just yet, a run of fitness and I could see him pushing Warbs to 6 and Stander to the bench. If he hits his top form he's the best backrow on that plane.

Agree that SOB shouldn't be ruled out. At his best he's one hell of a player who's very versatile. Wouldn't necessarily agree with your final sentence though. Even without Binny, the quality in the backrow is excellent.

Warbs - At his best he's easily the best at the breakdown + his carrying is more explosive than he's given credit for. Great lineout option.
Faletau - His all round quality is imo second to none on tour + his consistency in performances are a step above many of the others. Another quality lineout option.
Stander - Best ball carrier available now that Binny has been ruled out. SOB in his early days showed similar ball carrying might, but hasn't been as effective in that regard for a while now.
POM - More of a grafter, but get's through a mountain of work. Stands out defensively and in the lineout.
Tips - Best open field option with his running ability, handling and vision a cut above the rest. Doesn't miss many tackles, but may give away a few more metres in the tackle in comparison to others. Another great lineout option. Needs help in and around the ruck to be effective though.
SOB - Still a great ball carrier, and has added a real presence at the breakdown compared to his early days. Work-rate is high, and he's a master of the choke tackle.

Hask and Moriarty are imo a level below atm, and would need to show something special on tour to dislodge any of the above for a test starting spot. Similarly SOB's recent issues with injury and form puts him slightly behind the others, but has the pedigree to quickly move up the pecking order. We also know Gats likes him as he was selected ahead of Tips for the final test 4 years ago after Warbs was ruled out.

Itoje and Henderson could also realistically figure. Imo Hendersons best position is blindside flanker.

SO'B to get his fitness and form from where though? He seems to have a recurring injury around the calf and won't be fully right for the Lions. I'm of the Alpha mindset on him, give the fella the Summer off, could lengthen his career considerably.

Partly agree BUT when was the last time he hit that form?

Nothing I would love more than to see a fully fit on Form SOB, but time is ticking on that I'm afraid.

Kind of wished Barclay or Watson was taken over Haskell TBH, but Haskell will provide some good moments for the lions RAW thing.

He's been unlucky with injury obviously but it doesn't take him long to get near his best, NZ in Dublin in November was an example of him hitting his best straight after injury, France was his best game of the 6n and he did very well against England too. Of the available backrows I'd have him down as the best tight carrier with stander, he's as good at the breakdown as Warburton when in possession and is a hugely impressive jackal too. Throw him in with Sexton and you'll win choke tackles, he was Leinster's biggest loss in the latter half of the season alongside Heaslip and ahead of Cronin and Kearney.

Some great photos of the players visiting a children's hospital on the Lionsrugby website6_1000x1000.jpg

Could the mods please unpin this one to allow the thread with the last post (likely the next match thread) to be at the top?

The Lions are so fortunate that Wales just so happened to be in Auckland. What are the chances of that happening.

If J Gray and Russell do get called I hope it's after Scotland play Australia tomorrow. It's a tough enough test match as it is before losing key players who will just be warming the Lions midweek bench.

I don't think I would take anyone that played in the game this morning. Scott Williams would be useful on form but he was downright awful this morning. It's a bit too early for the likes of Steff Evans and Thomas Young who only just made their debuts. Sam Davies played poorly but Cuthbert scored a good try so you never know. :p

Well according to telegraph Gatland is poised to call up four players from the Wales squad hooker Kristian Dacey, tighthead prop Thomas Francis, lock Cory Hill and scrum-half Gareth Davies.

Rumours on social media that Gareth Davies, Tomas Francis, Kristian Dacey and Cory Hill set to be called up

Well according to telegraph Gatland is poised to call up four players from the Wales squad hooker Kristian Dacey, tighthead prop Thomas Francis, lock Cory Hill and scrum-half Gareth Davies.

And Jamie Roberts was all but certain to be named in the touring party. Media got that one wrong, be shocked if it's any different for this one.

Only name out of those 4 that holds any water is Gareth Davies, he probably edges Care out (just) to be next in line on form, is in NZ already, and would've been a better shout than Laidlaw when Youngs withdrew anyway.

Rumours on social media that Gareth Davies, Tomas Francis, Kristian Dacey and Cory Hill set to be called up

I'd be surprised at the latter 4 names. If Gatland does call these guys up and we lose the tour 3 - 0 as expected, hindsight is not going to be kind to him at all; this is just going to add more ammunition to the argument that he can't see with both eyes open. We'll see though, as Thingimubob says, there were lots of incorrect media calls for the squad announcement, so why not now.

And Jamie Roberts was all but certain to be named in the touring party. Media got that one wrong, be shocked if it's any different for this one.

Only name out of those 4 that holds any water is Gareth Davies, he probably edges Care out (just) to be next in line on form, is in NZ already, and would've been a better shout than Laidlaw when Youngs withdrew anyway.

You might be right Gats is the master at playing the media at it's own game. Although I almost want him to call up Cuthburt just for the anger from everyone.

Latest posts