• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 British & Irish Lions Squad Announcement

Problem for me is Gatland saying this was always in the plan. If so then geography is not an issue. My other issue is while he's tried to avoid it, anyone not playing today is probably thinking their playing Tuesday and so are not in the test team. It could split some of the players, though I'd hope not and they stay professional enough to help the whole squad win.

Problem for me is Gatland saying this was always in the plan. If so then geography is not an issue. My other issue is while he's tried to avoid it, anyone not playing today is probably thinking their playing Tuesday and so are not in the test team. It could split some of the players, though I'd hope not and they stay professional enough to help the whole squad win.

Exactly - As McGeechan said if this was always part of the plan, Gatland could have spoken to Eddie Jones or Townsend after the first tests and had Launchbury or Grey flown out a few days earlier with time to recover. It's just not an excuse. As McGeechan also said, a lot of the time the call-ups end up playing a fair bit of rugby, and you clearly want your best players playing.

Genuinely fuming at these selections. Davies is the only player there that deserves a call-up. Who even is Kristian Dacey? I hadn't heard of him before now. Selecting Hill over the Grays and Launchbury is appalling.

The bias is just infuriating now. A lot of players can feel very hard done by.

Yeah, I'm not going to argue, I'm pretty shocked at two of those selections. It's very convenient that Wales played a tour in NZ, although in saying that, the venue for forced to NZ due to issues with grounds if I remember rightly.

Dacey is the Cardiff Blues hooker, has been pushing for a Wales place. He started as a flanker and has a good engine, will get over the ball and his throwing in usually very good. He was pushing for player of the season for an inconsistent club. He's still not in a better place than Ross Ford, or arguably Hibbard if you were going with Welsh bias.

Just feel Launchbury should be there. You'd wait the extra few days to get him over and prepped for the game.

Now officially called up Dacy, Gareth Davies, Francis and Hill. What a joke really, Gareth Davies and Dacy are ok players I'm not too bothered about them playing a mid week game, there are better options though. But Hill and Francis two completely bang average players might get Lions caps. Hill will have a lion cap but Launchbury won't, un******* believable.

This must be a joke!

WTF. People are rightly going to go ape-sh*t! Gareth Davies probably should be there already, but after that there's better players elsewhere. Francis and Hill are very average players.

On top of that Gatland is further hamstringing Wales' chances against Samoa. Hill was already our most experienced lock with 5 caps.

**** poor decision from Gats that could grate with many of the players in camp as well as supporters. How will the English and Scottish players feel that Cory Hill has been called in ahead of Launch or Gray? The intention may be that they'll only be midweek fillers, but there's a lot of physical tough games to come and it's entirely possible that they will be required in a test.

Even at this late stage Launchbury if selected would have staked a claim for at least the 19 shirt for the tests...

Wales who's strongest 15 struggled to finish 3rd in 6 Nations and struggled for form it's now being deemed their 2nd string gys are better than starters of England or Ireland. Geography is only an excuse as if it was always planned shpping them out Thursday was viable

Rumours that Finn Russell and Allan Dell are expected to be called up too?

Yeah, which is fair, particularly Russell. The irony is that the loosehead I would have called up based on six nations form is Rob Evans of Wales, and I don't think many people could have had qualms about that one.

Gatland was heavily criticized 4 years ago when he dropped o' driscoll for the last Test and for picking mostly Welsh players. He was vindicated then so hold back on the *****ing.

Gatland was heavily criticized 4 years ago when he dropped o' driscoll for the last Test and for picking mostly Welsh players. He was vindicated then so hold back on the *****ing.

He's not going to be vindicated on this one, even after one of these players wins the 3rd test with a late minute try.

Please justify Hill over Launchbury.

EJ said in the press it would take 13hrs for England players to get from where they are to NZ, they could be in training on Sunday.

Russell showing today against Australia why he should've gone in the first place. The mauling at Twickenham really set his chances back. His speed of thought is quite something.

So with Finn Russell being called up - does this say Farrell is potentially worse than what we've been told? Or that he's maybe being considered at 12? Otherwise what is the point of having 4 fly halfves..

So with Finn Russell being called up - does this say Farrell is potentially worse than what we've been told? Or that he's maybe being considered at 12? Otherwise what is the point of having 4 fly halfves..
Probably the former but I wish it were the latter. Either way Biggar on the bench is a sad thought.