• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 British & Irish Lions Squad Announcement

So with Finn Russell being called up - does this say Farrell is potentially worse than what we've been told? Or that he's maybe being considered at 12? Otherwise what is the point of having 4 fly halfves..

It's a grade one strain to his thigh, which means he faces a race to be fit for next Saturday, as it can take 7-10 days to recover from. So should be ok for 2nd and 3rd tests.

So with Finn Russell being called up - does this say Farrell is potentially worse than what we've been told? Or that he's maybe being considered at 12? Otherwise what is the point of having 4 fly halfves..
Could be either, or it could signal the complete separation of test and dirt-track sides; not wanting anyone to sit the bench twice in the week.

Gatland still isn't vindicated for r years ago in my book. All he did was prove those players had the ability to beat Australia....he didn't prove a different side would of won by less.

Same here all he actually proves is he's not screwed it up.

Could be either, or it could signal the complete separation of test and dirt-track sides; not wanting anyone to sit the bench twice in the week.
That's what I read,
Complete separation of mid-week and test sides, hence the extra 9 and 10 call-ups.

Because how is the overall outcome of the test series overall relevant to the calling up of 4 players who are extremely unlikely to feature in any capacity in the tests? They are not going to play a significant role in the test games, so there is nothing they can do to justify their presence. Even if they get a chance and play well in one of the midweek games, they won't be proving that they deserved to be on the tour ahead of other players - just that they made the most of their chance when they got it. It in no way justifies absurd selection choices.

Shocking is the only word I can think off.

Gatland has totally devalued the Lions jersey now he should never been selected a second time. He has now picked more players than SCW and adding 4 Welsh no bodies has shown his national bias is worse than Clive's too.

Hopefully Mr Potato head will bog off back to NZ after this and take his dull brand of rugby with him.

Well it seems now whoever plays Tuesday is not in Saturdays 23 barring injuries etc. Here's what I think anyway.

Saturday 23:
1) Vunipola (or McGrath with Vunipola for impact.)
2) Owens (Though could just as easily be George)
3) Furlong
4) AWJ (I would have him Tuesday and Itoje instead)
5) Kruis
6) POM
7) Warburton (I'd have O'Brien)
8) Faletau
9) Murray
10) Sexton (I think they won't risk Farrell starting)
11) North
12) Te'o (He's is Gatland's style of player.)
13) Davies
14) Watson
15) Halfpenny

16) George
17) McGrath
18) Sinckler (What a bolter he has been)
19) Itoje
20) O'brien
21) Webb
22) Farrell
23) Daly

Last edited:
Tuesday 23:
1) Marler (Unlucky, but not been in the winning teams)
2) Best (Easy one)
3) Cole (I think Sinckler may have jumped him in the pecking order)
4) Henderson (I think he may have left his performances too late, should be AWJ)
5) Lawes
6) Haskell
7) Tipuric
8) Stander
9) Laidlaw (Davies would actually be better)
10) Biggar
11) Seymour
12) Henshaw (Changed my mind, Te'o is what Gatland likes)
13) Joseph
14) Williams
15) Payne

16) Dell
17) Dacey
18) Francis
19) Hill
20) O'Brien? (Now that Moriaty is out)
21) Davies
22) Russell
23) Nowell (He's not performed this tour)

Last edited:
I reckon Teo will start, though I wouldn't start him.
Gatland will be frothing at the gash over the crashball linebreaks.

if and when the lions lose this test series 3 - 0 the criticism of gatland is going to be absolutely deafening. Not just about these ridiculous replacement call-ups but also the complete lack of ambition to improve the deficits in the lions game. In hindsight it will be seen as a massive wasted opportunity to get the most exciting players from the isles together to have a proper crack at the best team in the world on their own soil. The irrelevance of Joseph, Henshaw, Daly, Williams and Watson so far has been seriously disappointing. If you go home having been whitewashed and you can't even claim you tried to play attacking rugby, there will have been nothing positive to come out of the tour. More than that, it's going to be damaging for the future credibility of the lions brand.

I reckon Teo will start, though I wouldn't start him.
Gatland will be frothing at the gash over the crashball linebreaks.

Yeah true...if we go with winning sides then Te'o gets the nod over Henshaw.

Wales who's strongest 15 struggled to finish 3rd in 6 Nations and struggled for form it's now being deemed their 2nd string gys are better than starters of England or Ireland. Geography is only an excuse as if it was always planned shpping them out Thursday was viable

Even if we take that geographic excuse how is Cory Hill getting picked over Jonny Grey or other Grey brother for that matter. Put Donnacha Ryan and Joe Launchbury aside that decision is ridiculous. He's picked a few young Welsh lads for experience, it's a farce.

It does come across as a thing he setup from the beginning have Wales play a PI team in New Zealand at around the time his test team comes up.

i feel for the players, but it completely undermines the shirt.

Even if we take that geographic excuse how is Cory Hill getting picked over Jonny Grey or other Grey brother for that matter. Put Donnacha Ryan and Joe Launchbury aside that decision is ridiculous. He's picked a few young Welsh lads for experience, it's a farce.
Donnacha Ryan hasn't played in weeks and Launchbury deserves more. What really bugs me though is these guys were part of a Welsh team that were by a country mile the worst of all the home nations this summer and as I said devalues the Lions jersey which is sad in a way.

Wales looked awful Friday night.
Ireland have been on fire.
Scotland have been on fire.
England had the toughest assignment arguably and produced best game of summer so far.
Russell deserves his spot. As for rest part of me would be bit off as everyone knows they're there on brown nosing and not on merit.

I mean a 3hour flight and the Lions could have Ford, Gray and Nel instead.

Davies and Russell should change alot about the midweek team. I

I mean a 3hour flight and the Lions could have Ford, Gray and Nel instead.

Davies and Russell should change alot about the midweek team. I
You really thin Russell will get more than 5 mins playing with Laidla too. Bigger has to be kept ticking over for 3rd test

Donnacha Ryan hasn't played in weeks and Launchbury deserves more. What really bugs me though is these guys were part of a Welsh team that were by a country mile the worst of all the home nations this summer and as I said devalues the Lions jersey which is sad in a way.

Wales looked awful Friday night.
Ireland have been on fire.
Scotland have been on fire.
England had the toughest assignment arguably and produced best game of summer so far.
Russell deserves his spot. As for rest part of me would be bit off as everyone knows they're there on brown nosing and not on merit.

Couldn't agree more mate. When Gatland was announced most of us including Wales fans had the same negative reaction. He's selection will be very 1 sided, he'll pick big players over actual skill and his game plan just won't work against NZ. You look how good POM/O'Brien were today and he'll still go with Warburton. Same with Itoje who was so good in that game he'll still get dropped for AWJ.

Latest posts