2017 Currie Cup The Final: Sharks vs WP

unrated

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Sharks
Where? Growthpoint Kingspark, Durban (Home of the Sharks)
2810802842_12ef00734e_b.jpg

logo-50008-2.jpg

5440487_1122329314_52705_by_tdr_resources-daqrpoq.png

1033px-Logo_Western_Province_Rugby.svg.png

When? Saturday 28 October,16:00 Sa time (GMT + 2)

8389b9babdbe41788812e74eefb6a4c9.jpg

Team Lineups
Sharks
15 Garth April, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Marius Louw, 11 Odwa Ndungane, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Louis Schreuder, 8 Daniel du Preez, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Keegan Daniel, 5 Ruan Botha (captain), 4 Tyler Paul, 3 Ross Geldenhuys, 2 Franco Marais, 1 Thomas du Toit

Substitutes: 16 Akker van der Merwe, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 John-Hubert Meyer, 19 Jean Droste, 20 Jacques Vermeulen, 21 Michael Claassens, 22 Tristan Blewett, 23 Rhyno Smith

WP
15 Damian Willemse, 14 Seabelo Senatla, 13 Ruhan Nel, 12 Huw Jones, 11 Dillyn Leyds, 10 Robert du Preez, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Cobus Wiese, 6 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 5 JD Schickerling, 4 Chris van Zyl (captain), 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg.

Substitutes: 16 Ramone Samuels, 17 Ali Vermaak, 18 Frans van Wyk, 19 Jan de Klerk, 20 Kobus van Dyk, 21 Jano Vermaak, 22 Werner Kok, 23 Dan Kriel

1546311_100510150146_DSC_1458.jpg

Attachments

• 2810802842_12ef00734e_b.jpg
    2810802842_12ef00734e_b.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 0
Very excited for this one. Upset that Sbu is out but happy Odwa will be playing. I hear tell of Rob Du Preez coming to the Sharks in the near future which is awesome.

WP is definitely deserving finalists, our forwards should make the difference, hopefully Curwin has an awesome game and nails those drop goals

Odwa crosses in the opening minutes! It's on! Perfect conversion from Curwin.

Huw Jones returns, we have a game folks

Bosch penalty 10 - 7, April with a super break and now a lineout 5m out to the Sharks

Controversial score from DDP, Sharks 15 - 7

Province got the upper hand in the scrums, Bosch not looking too sharp on his feet. JldP goes off with a nasty ankle injury. (Ligaments 3-4 weeks apparently)

Rob dP makes it 15 - 10 with another penalty

Bosch makes it 3 from 5 to bring it back to an 8 point margin. 18-10

Province battling to make inroads, looking a bit blunt on attack, lots of errors.

ABSOLUTE MONSTER drop goal from Bosch 45-50m out off a retreating scrum makes it 21-10

WP forced into errors on the Sharks' 5m

WP manage to string some phases together and are looking more dangerous, Bosch's channel is dangerously porous. Carr is held up so no try, scrum on Sharks' 5m

Leyds crosses in the corner as the hooter sounds off a great pass from Wilemse to Jones after some good sharks defense. Conversion missed

HT: 21 - 15

Opening exchanges bringing nothing except a turnover and a missed drop from Bosch.

Cobus Wiese goes over in the corner after a great run from Carr! 21-20 Province looking dangerous again.

Huw Jones scores his second after a clever inside pass from Senatla and some shoddy scrambling from the Sharks. 21-27 Province takes the lead.

Sharks under a huge amount of pressure, WP have all the possession and are winning the territory game.

Jaco Peyper having a great afternoon, very good refereeing. Offside penalty leads to 3 points off Rob dP's boot 21-30

Dan dP gets a yellow after some obvious infringements and Rob dP makes it a 12 point ball game with only 10min on the clock. 21-33

All going Province's way at the mo, can't see the Sharks coming out on top, Supurb game management from the Capetonians

That's all she wrote Sharks 21 - Province 33

Last edited:
Very disappointed but i guess the better team on the day won.
Was sitting in the bar. First half went very good.
Arrogant WP supporters started saying yea its just the Currie cup it doesn't matter as they realized the game was beyond them.

Then second half came. WP overtook the Sharks again. WP fans becoming arrogant again and bragging how they are going to destroy the Sharks.
I tell them rugby is an 80 minute game. Silently confident that we will make the comeback.
We never made the comeback and WP kept looking like the more dangerous side.

I congratulated one WP supporter on the win as they were the better side on the day. The misfounded arrogance came out again and he tell me how **** a team the Sharks are.
So yea disappointed in the team but optimistic for the future. The game could have gone the other way had Jean luc du Preez stayed on the field and Dan was not yellow carded.
Also lost faith in WP supporters. We will show them in Super rugby who is the better coastal side. Always have.

I congratulated one WP supporter on the win as they were the better side on the day. The misfounded arrogance came out again and he tell me how **** a team the Sharks are.
So yea disappointed in the team but optimistic for the future. The game could have gone the other way had Jean luc du Preez stayed on the field and Dan was not yellow carded.
Also lost faith in WP supporters. We will show them in Super rugby who is the better coastal side. Always have.

Come on, you can't judge a group of supporters based on group of drunk ones at a bar. Every team has a bad bunch, but it's generally the minority. You interact with enough of us on here to know that. Bad luck on the day though, Once JLDP went down, your team lost momentum, and WP got over their jittery start and managed to retain ball a bit better. It was a decent final though, 6 tries in it and a game that I think was entertaining for the neutral.

Our forwards started to struggle and our backs were muted because of it. Even without JldP we still should've been able to handle the gain line. I think Bosch had a rather bad game but had a shakey platform.

For me though, bad up and unders and constant defence was a terrible strategy and gives Rob some egg on his face after his comments regarding the ball in hand directive. We were no where clinical enough and I think Province could've probably put more points on us had they been smarter will ball in hand and less error prone.

Hard to win any game of rugby without possession or territory let alone a final

You need better mates who support WP, sorry you feel that way bud!

Sharks are a great side with that bring some serious heat.

In the end the game came down to this in my opinion - Sharks played traditional territorial rugby but their execution came short in two ways 1) Bosch didn't make all the kicks he needed too, and 2) if you are going to play traditional SA rugby you have to have a secure set piece and the WP scrum was dominant.

Wilcow Louw was my man of the match which is good for all of South Africa. Bosch is a little overrated for me but that matters little since Rob DP is moving to the Sharks next year, both teams should be good come super rugby next year, a bitter sweet victory considering I think we may have let the best fly-half in South Africa slip through our fingers.

Yes will never judge a large group based on the actions of a few (especially in South Africa) was just a bit disappointed after the game.

It's quite funny actually but when WP and the Sharks play each other the favourite and side with home field advantage tends to lose. Has now happened in the last 3 finals between these sides.

I didn't expect that but all credit to WP. Sharks really should have put that game to bed.

Latest posts