• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] France vs South Africa (10/11/18)

You can't blame the captain for backing his hooker to do the business, particularly when Marx had been better of late (hopefully this last game was a blip).

I'm interested if France make much improvement under Brunel over the 6N. He knows what he is doing, but if he picks Basteraud I'm putting the farm on the Boks.

In van Zyl's defense he actually impressed me agaisnt England, yes he doesn't bring Faf's fire in defense or offer much of a running game, but his kicks were for the most part pretty good (contestable) and his passing game was fairly smooth, especially when we already had momentum.

No reason to change the team much I reckon, just bring in Willie and Faf, a replacement for Eben if necessary (Mostert preferably) and call it a day.
Our worst players on the park last weekend were Siya and Marx but they are both pretty important to our cause ordinarily so we can't drop them yet.
Ja I just don't rate scrummies in the mold of Cronje and van Zyl. Just snapping the ball out from the base and kicking every now and then. I prefer scrummies in the mold of Reinach and de Klerk who keep the opposition guessing around the fringes as well

You can't blame the captain for backing his hooker to do the business, particularly when Marx had been better of late (hopefully this last game was a blip).

I'm interested if France make much improvement under Brunel over the 6N. He knows what he is doing, but if he picks Basteraud I'm putting the farm on the Boks.

This fixture in France over the years always turns out low scoring, as opposed to when played in SA. It's a totally different feeling from last year's game though, with both teams now having new coaches.

All the opposition the Boks has faced so far this year (Eng, Arg, Aus, NZ) have shown to have better variation and creativity on attack, yet the Boks somehow always manages to turn those games into arm-wrestles.

I don't think this French side is any better than the Boks when it comes to creativity so I still foresee the match taking the same route of turning out to be low quality slugfest, with the conditions anticipated to be wet and all.

This fixture in France over the years always turns out low scoring, as opposed to when played in SA. It's a totally different feeling from last year's game though, with both teams now having new coaches.

All the opposition the Boks has faced so far this year (Eng, Arg, Aus, NZ) have shown to have better variation and creativity on attack, yet the Boks somehow always manages to turn those games into arm-wrestles.

I don't think this French side is any better than the Boks when it comes to creativity so I still foresee the match taking the same route of turning out to be low quality slugfest, with the conditions anticipated to be wet and all.

Have to agree with you. I suspect that this will be a typical forward orientated muddy slugfest. Hope the kickers have their kicking shoes ready...

They are SECOND division. The current Toulouse Clermont or Racing would take them out any given day.

They are ONE point from 9th rank. Argentina will pass them out.

They are SECOND division. The current Toulouse Clermont or Racing would take them out any given day.

They are ONE point from 9th rank. Argentina will pass them out.
Your national team is supposed to represent the best rugby players of France. So are you saying that teams such as Toulouse, Clermont or Racing is better than the French team because they are full of foreigners? Or are you instead saying that the best French players have not been picked? And if so who would you have picked instead?

Your national team is supposed to represent the best rugby players of France.
That's just the theory. Not in practise. And not for the last hem 9 years... Almost a decade without a 6N ***le. They're a joke.

Toulouse, Clermont or Racing is better than the French team because they are full of foreigners? Or are you instead saying that the best French players have not been picked?

Full of foreigners?

Clermont won the T14 final in 2017 with 11 French starters and in CCup scored an aggregate of 60 pt over Saracens.

Racing dominated the CCup final with 12 French starters. They were missing Machenaud their best player and down to their 3rd choice fly-half.
https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/champions-cup/2017-2018/live-leinster-racing-92_mtc986271/live.shtml

Toulouse beat Leinster with 10 French starters last month.
https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/coup...ade-toulousain-leinster_mtc1070912/live.shtml

14 French players in the group of 23 that walloped Bordeaux last weekend https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-...n-union-bordeaux-begles_mtc1047693/live.shtml

Get your facts right.

Last edited:
That's just the theory. Not in practise. And not for the last hem 9 years... Almost a decade without a 6N ***le. They're a joke.

Full of foreigners?

Clermont won the T14 final in 2017 with 11 French starters and in CCup scored an aggregate of 60 pt over Saracens.

Racing dominated the CCup final with 12 French starters. They were missing Machenaud their best player and down to their 3rd choice fly-half.
https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/champions-cup/2017-2018/live-leinster-racing-92_mtc986271/live.shtml

Toulouse beat Leinster with 10 French starters last month.
https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/coup...ade-toulousain-leinster_mtc1070912/live.shtml

Get your facts right.
Ok whatever man :p , why do you say the French team is bad though? Is it the wrong selections? do you feel that certain players have not been selected that should have been there?
Why has the French team not been the best representative team of France for the last 9 years according to you?

Ok whatever man :p , why do you say the French team is bad though? Is it the wrong selections? do you feel that certain players have not been selected that should have been there?
Why has the French team not been the best representative team of France for the last 9 years according to you?
Because of the union's total incompetence. The union in this country have overstayed their welcome in the professional game. They are not fit to manage the national team. Plain simple.

Last edited:
Because of the union's total incompetence. The union in this country have overstayed their welcome in the professional game. They are not fit to manage the national team. Plain simple.
OK fair enough, so despite the incompetence of the union, do you think that the best possible French players will be running out at the Stade de France on Saturday? if yes does the unions bad management make the "good" french players performs as a second tier team?

Looks like the weather is going to be moderate to bad - we might not have rain during the game but it's certainly going to rain a bit during the game. Agaisnt England I would say that favoured them but agaisnt France I'm not sure, may even favour us.

I expect selections to be fairly obvious, Willie, Faf and probably Mostert in. We could see Flouw but it will be hard to fit him in. Otherwise the obvious changes.

I think this is a big game for the Springboks. they wouldn't want to lose with a full strength team against a developing French side. not entirely sure it will be a game of great beauty but SA will win it pretty comfortably I would say. maybe predicting 38-15 was a bit premature but I'd be surprised if they won by less than 10 points.

French team has been announced and added to the OP. I will add the bok team as soon as they are announced.

This is actually France's 1st test since the ABs game, when they lost 49-14.

I hope our Boks give them a hard hiding, with no remorse.

This is certainly a must win, I could argue that all of our fixtures are must wins from here on but this might just be our easiest one, just going purely by 6 Nations standings for this year.

so Esterhuizen drops out of the 23 in favour of Kolbe.

so Esterhuizen drops out of the 23 in favour of Kolbe.

Yup, but that's not the only change though. I've added the team to the OP. Rassie brought in 6 guys who were unavailable last week: Faf De Klerk, Willie Le Roux, Francois Louw, Vincent Koch, Cheslin Kolbe and Franco Mostert

Can any English fan tell me if Koch starts for Saracens and if he does how he has been playing?

Latest posts