• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 6: South Africa v New Zealand (06/10/2018)

:( The whole of the South African rugby community will be sleeping early tonight.
It really was a great game but that AB comeback hurt. It really hurt. Great game but damn mixed feelings you need to appreciate these games but joh we should have won that.

Well done All Blacks and their supporters another one for the record books... it will now be close to 50 years of victories at this ground

For those complaining about the subs made remember that our crucial positions such as scrummie, hooker and fullback was made close to 8 minutes left, so already you could see that Rassie was hesitant to make them. But they had to be made as they are part of the 23 and you have to have faith in your squad even if it's just for 8 minutes. Unfortunately it wasn't to be this time.

For those complaining about the subs made remember that our crucial positions such as scrummie, hooker and fullback was made close to 8 minutes left, so already you could see that Rassie was hesitant to make them. But they had to be made as they are part of the 23 and you have to have faith in your squad even if it's just for 8 minutes. Unfortunately it wasn't to be this time.
Hmm...interesting. I think I heard somewhere that Rassie made a statement that you shouldnt bring on subs just to give them game time, it should be a strategic call.

A famous win for the ABs . Standing O..
The turning point in the game when Barret was shifted to FB . i hope Hansen sticks with Mo'unga at flyhalf from now on. It just seems to work so much better with Smith and Barret together at the back sharing fullback duties
Commiserations to the Bok fans . Could have gone either way that one.

Some great little grubber kicks in behind the line by the Boks to turn the ABs around.
And a magical first touch by Williamse. Brilliant step and hand off skills par exellence.

The turning point in the game when Barret was shifted to FB . i hope Hansen sticks with Mo'unga at flyhalf from now on. It just seems to work so much better with Smith and Barret together at the back sharing fullback duties
I've been saying it for for the past couple years...... Mo'unga is the best 10 in New Zealand.

Rassie was just interviewed and was all smiles and rightfully so. They know they are just as good as we are. He wasn't asked about his subbing of key players but he did mention that he was happy that he able to give some new caps some game time...make of that as you will but he should be smiling because his team did well.

Last edited:
I propose a bet.

I don't think both these teams will make the final.

So, if it does happen, I will donate £10 to a charity of your choice, if it doesn't, then you do otherwise.

Up for it?

Interesting. Yep I would be up for that.

Don't forget to Gift aid it if you're a tax payer;).

Interesting. Yep I would be up for that.

Don't forget to Gift aid it if you're a tax payer;).

Good news :)

May the best man/woman wins! Although it's still a year off.

We can confirm charities in PM closer to the time.

This might sound silly but the most impressive thing from this game was BB's touch on his in goal.
Although the result was far from ideal (scrum 5 for RSA) all of the alternatives were likely and much worse. What he did on that play preventing the try was nothing short of phenomenal. His reaction, decision making and acceleration were outstanding.

Good news :)

May the best man/woman wins! Although it's still a year off.

All for a good cause. Defo Don't mind if I am wrong.

Yeah i am basing my prediction on how the pools are likely to go. Sorry Ireland but if they top Pool A I can't see you beating the runners up of Pool B whether that be NZ or SA. I still think NZ have the edge assuming the likes of Coles, Moody, Retallick are back and all fit and firing in a full strength AB pack.

Plus basing it that SA are due to reach a final after missing out in the previous 2. Plus RWC has history of throwing two teams who have met In The pool stages in the final - 2007 and 2011 being two examples. Plus ABs and Boks will most likely have the strongest spines of any team plus bench out all the other teams.

All for a good cause. Defo Don't mind if I am wrong.

Yeah i am basing my prediction on how the pools are likely to go. Sorry Ireland but if they top Pool A I can't see you beating the runners up of Pool B whether that be NZ or SA. I still think NZ have the edge assuming the likes of Coles, Moody, Retallick are back and all fit and firing in a full strength AB pack.

Plus basing it that SA are due to reach a final after missing out in the previous 2. Plus RWC has history of throwing two teams who have met In The pool stages in the final - 2007 and 2011 being two examples. Plus ABs and Boks will most likely have the strongest spines of any team plus bench out all the other teams.

I think any of 5 teams could make the final (England, Ireland, South Africa, NZ..... Wales).

I can't quite see Scotland, France and Australia pushing for honours. I could be totally wrong though.

I think any of 5 teams could make the final (England, Ireland, South Africa, NZ..... Wales).

I would definitely replace Wales with Australia. They tend t turn up for big tournaments. So do Argentina for that matter. I think this next year is a big one for England, a repeat of last year and I wouldn't put us anywhere near being contenders.

The sad thing is, I do see Ireland making it.
Show confidence in your bet about the Springboks or the All Blacks making the RWC final next year and make it a 100 bucks...:)

Irelands first ever RWC final will depend on their squad. Actually every teams RWC hopes depends on whether they can replace key injured players with other good players.

Last edited:
so cool the guys came through, but the worries remain the same for our game and i think this game exposed some of our big problems again, but the win ends up masking it, but hopefully coughed up some solutions too

midfield problem won't go away, can't seem to find a good consistent combo here, it has been chopped and changed every gameweek since Conrad and Ma'a's retirement - gutted Goodhue got a virus before the game aye, wuld've been good to see him this match

Barrett's "tactical" punting - just keep the ball Beaudy, you can't kick it around like Dan, a little better from the tee tonight, but really not up to it when hes under pressure

Richie will emerge as a better option than Barrett for 10 in tighter games where we need more control - there's no way Beaudy can control a tight game, he's a front foot player, we have missed Crudens ability to control a tight game over the last few years and thankfully Richie showed up tonight with the skillset and compsure to be able to handle the heat

we can start with Beaudy at 10 for sure, but then later in the game shift to Richie, it probably leaves no place for McKenzie on the bench, but Shag will have to make tactical calls from games to games, we absolutely need a goal kicker and a natural 10 instead of fullbacks trying to do the job

PS, i forgot to add big credit to how much this boks team is improving, its really important for world rugby and All Black rugby they are a force, it's inspiring and satisfying to beat a resolute Bok team in South Africa, for me it is the sweetest victory in rugby other than a Lions test series, so its great to see them getting back up to standard, they have some of the best talent in the world

Latest posts