• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 2: Highlanders vs. Blues (23/02/2018)

Do you look at the coaching or are some of the players overrated? Because I agree their supposed talent is outrageous, but if we look deeper, are these players we are rating really better than some of the other NZ franchise players? Personally, I'd rather L.Whitelock and L.Squire. over A.Ioane I would also pick Tom Franklin over P.Tuipolotu too. I think a lot of Blues players are overrated, George Moala being another one.
I do blame coaching yeah, just stylistically and selection wise I don't feel like the Blues are that well managed.
A couple years ago they were running from their own 22 into danger, since Tana has taken over they seem to have gotten better but I still think they lack a cohesive and consistent style.

The Saders, Highlanders, Chiefs and Crusaders all have a very specific style that has a Kiwi flair but is different for each franchise. Crusaders are more set piece focused, Highlanders are a kicking team, Hurricanes are a counter attacking team, they all have the basics right, but every team has a cohesive strategy. This is what the Bokke has lacked recently and in my opinion the Blus too.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it's possible the players are just overrated, but a potential counter to that argument is the kind of players they bring in.
When they brought in Nonu he just failed to fire, same goes with SBW who was part of a championship winning Chiefs side previously. Why do these players fail at the Blues specifally?

Fair comments, the Highlanders looked better coached and composed in the 2nd half. I thought the lack of leadership in the Blues is ultimately what cost them the match too, whereas the Highlanders had a number of composed senior players out there that got them over the line. I think if the Blues had younger Kaino out there it might have been the difference and as you said were slightly better coached, they've lost so many games in the 2nd half vs NZ opposition.

What a great game! Pulu and SBW were the most disappointing for me. First time in a long time that Akira was more impressive than Rieko IMO. Naholo was sllllooowwww in this one. Parsons looks better without the captaincy weight.

I can't blame Tana for any of his selections, as they really are lacking options with Kaino, and especially Gibson out. They are a much better and more composed side with him in charge. They hung in very well with an impressive Highlanders team and the yellow card was the turning point.

WOW. a game where ' a try every 5 mins and the lead kept kept changing .
if blues are the worst NZ side then derby's are gonna be epic.
i thought the only thing separating these teams was the yellow card.
game played in awesome attacking spirit.
despite the loss, blues are finally back imo. tana has earnt his paycheque. blues need to keep up this pace. not all teams will be able to keep up with them and they wont be yellow carded every game....one hopes.

Sonny Bill has been told he's not required for the 2019 RWC so he has signed for Easts in the NRL as soon as the Super Rugby season is over for the Blues.

Sonny Bill has been told he's not required for the 2019 RWC so he has signed for Easts in the NRL as soon as the Super Rugby season is over for the Blues.
theres spin on that i'm just not sure what. i doubt hansen wouldve told SBW this far out of the WC the he was unwanted.
u only do that (ala bradThorn and quadeCooper) if you just dont like the player and dont see any worth in him going forward.
hansen is a real SBW fan, overly much at times.

No mate, he's been told, it's in the news.
He wouldn't have signed for Easts post season on the cusp of the next RWC if he wasn't in the picture particularly as he is an incumbent and a RWC winner.
They want young blood and I am a fan of SBW, and I have to admit he hasn't been firing on all cylinders since he came back from injury. He also has some 'league' moments that counter act his brilliant offloads.

No mate, he's been told, it's in the news.
He wouldn't have signed for Easts post season on the cusp of the next RWC if he wasn't in the picture particularly as he is an incumbent and a RWC winner.
They want young blood and I am a fan of SBW, and I have to admit he hasn't been firing on all cylinders since he came back from injury. He also has some 'league' moments that counter act his brilliant offloads.
thats still rumour and unsubstantiated by anyone in position to confirm or deny
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...set-to-return-to-nrl-after-super-rugby-season

Latest posts