• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] The Final: 4 August 2018

No way! the Isa I watched and dare I say most kiwis watched was a stock standard winger in NZ, what you expect at provincial - and a a fill in at super level. Decent at finishing, electric speed but wasnt a Ben Smith or a Julian Savea/ Reiko Ioane. If the AB's really wanted to keep Isa they would of, just like Charlie Piatau. Guy was a good player in NZ, fringe All Black at time of leaving and goes on to become a legend in Europe.

NO way at all Isa was going to become an AB's star yet alone a legend, I personally think Isa would not even get selected for the AB's, he was never ever talked about even being in the frame for selcetion. Pretty much any kiwi who watches rugby in NZ knows this much to be true.
Lol... You don't know rugby. Isa and electric in the same sentence... He was always on the slow side for an outside back, fortunately he was one of the cleverest players ever.

Also, the NZRU literally went to court to try make the guy an All Black - He was THE best player in the world in 2012 he just couldn't show it at an international level - He is the best Leinster player ever ahead of the best 13 ever and best 10 of his era in O'Driscoll and Sexton. Isa is an all time great, delude yourself more of SH supremacy* if you want to deny it.

*You're gonna lose by 8 in Dublin btw

No way! the Isa I watched and dare I say most kiwis watched was a stock standard winger in NZ, what you expect at provincial - and a a fill in at super level.

Much as I hate to agree, have to agree
Would he displace Ryan Crotty or Jack Goodhue at the Crusaders? No way
Would he displace Anton Leinert-Brown or Charlie Ngatai at the Chiefs? Not a chance
Would he displace Rob Thomson or Matt Faddes at the Highlanders? Very unlikely
Would he displace SBW, George Moala or Reiko Ioane at the Blues? I seriously doubt it
Would he displace Ngani Laumape or Vince Aso at the Hurricanes? Not an ice-cube's chance in hell!

Lol... You don't know rugby. Isa and electric in the same sentence... He was always on the slow side for an outside back, fortunately he was one of the cleverest players ever.

Also, the NZRU literally went to court to try make the guy an All Black - He was THE best player in the world in 2012 he just couldn't show it at an international level - He is the best Leinster player ever ahead of the best 13 ever and best 10 of his era in O'Driscoll and Sexton. Isa is an all time great, delude yourself more of SH supremacy* if you want to deny it.

*You're gonna lose by 8 in Dublin btw

Funny what you green biased Irish eyes see. In your country he is a legend, a man without pair, a rugby player apart. In our country, the true land of rugby, the land of the back to back and soon to be back to back to back world champions Isa is a squad player, fill in at super rugby level and a good domestic player. Take nothing away from what he has achieved in Ireland but lets get serious, what would happen if Beauden Barrett, Richie Mo'uanga, Rieko Ioane, Ben Smith, Kirean Read, Waisake Naholo, Liam Squire moved over to Europe to play there in their prime? The sky wall fall to ground, you would be claiming gods walked among you, the rugby heavens have blessed Ireland - Yet here in New Zealand these guys know they screw up, next guys are good enough and wants their place - case in point Beauden Barret and Richie Mou'anga right now.

And no we are not going to lose in Ireland, you have 1 win against the All Blacks in 111 years. 1 win. Why don't you just enjoy that 1 win for the next 111 years before getting your hopes and dreams built up. Will just make the crushing losing coming for Ireland harder to take. When we name our strongest line up you just dont beat us and the next match in Ireland after Chicago showed you - you were shut out. That is just how it is.

Now thanks for the laugh, are you trying to tell me Brian O'Driscoul was better than Conrad Smith ? :)) also in the same breath are you saying Sexton is better than Daniel Carter? :) hahahahahaahahahahahah funny funny funny

Stop derailing the thread all you NH guys who don't have rugby to watch locally at the moment!!

Anyways, back to the game. Congrats Crusaders! Deserved winners this year, best team of the comp by far and the only team to go undefeated at home! Your secret weapon, Elton Jantjies was outstanding for you guys.

honestly, I would be a bit miffed if Jantjies is selected for the SA RC squad today.

Glad to see this thread hasn't degenerated into a childish NH v SH grudge match. It's honestly the most boring s*** on the internet.

Stop derailing the thread all you NH guys who don't have rugby to watch locally at the moment!!

Anyways, back to the game. Congrats Crusaders! Deserved winners this year, best team of the comp by far and the only team to go undefeated at home! Your secret weapon, Elton Jantjies was outstanding for you guys.

honestly, I would be a bit miffed if Jantjies is selected for the SA RC squad today.

Yep, 100%. The Crusaders were too sharp, too smart and too clinical.

Its an often overused phrase that they will punish you for the smallest mistake, but in this case, it was very well demonstrated. Jantjies committed a few kicking errors, and the Crusaders punished him for it

First one was at 28min; a nothing kick that Mo'unga marks, and then belts the length of the field. Jantjies picks the ball up from the field of play while standing in-goal, and grounds it. The resulting 5m scrum results in 3 points.

Second one was 3 minutes later; another nothing kick, Mo'unga jumps and catches the ball unopposed, and head downfield, one quick tackle/breakdown and Havili scores the try.

Three crucial mistakes in five minutes. Its not the first time I've seen Jantjies fold under pressure. He did it last year too.

Yep, 100%. The Crusaders were too sharp, too smart and too clinical.

Its an often overused phrase that they will punish you for the smallest mistake, but in this case, it was very well demonstrated. Jantjies committed a few kicking errors, and the Crusaders punished him for it

First one was at 28min; a nothing kick that Mo'unga marks, and then belts the length of the field. Jantjies picks the ball up from the field of play while standing in-goal, and grounds it. The resulting 5m scrum results in 3 points.

Second one was 3 minutes later; another nothing kick, Mo'unga jumps and catches the ball unopposed, and head downfield, one quick tackle/breakdown and Havili scores the try.

Three crucial mistakes in five minutes. Its not the first time I've seen Jantjies fold under pressure. He did it last year too.

And don't forget that absolute brainfart where dotted the ball down touch in goal, when the ball wasn't in the ingoal area... Absolutely shocking!!

Couldn't agree more. When the IRFU blocked Ulster from signing him earlier this year I couldn't get my head around how much outrage there was about such a poor player. I've never seen him play well and I've watched him a fair bit at this point.

As a sidenote is there any realistic chance of Mo'Unga starting for the ABs this season?Much more complete 10 than Barrett IMO.

As a sidenote is there any realistic chance of Mo'Unga starting for the ABs this season?Much more complete 10 than Barrett IMO.

In a word no.

"We have to build slowly with Richie and build his experience. But in the meantime, we've got a player in Beauden who has been the world's best player the last two years. So we won't be in any rush to shift him,"
Hansen told media.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...n-wont-drop-beauden-barrett-for-richie-mounga

richie is young and has a long long future ahead of him. he can wait. richie has looked awesome this season but he played behind an incredibly dominant pack. the real measure of a great player is how well they do when they're in a losing game. in that respect im not ready to give richie the keys to the blackSteamRoller just yet.
and bottom line anyways....barretts better and has lots more xFactor imo. luckily playing for the canes teaches you a lot in damage control

richie is young and has a long long future ahead of him. he can wait. richie has looked awesome this season but he played behind an incredibly dominant pack. the real measure of a great player is how well they do when they're in a losing game. in that respect im not ready to give richie the keys to the blackSteamRoller just yet.
and bottom line anyways....barretts better and has lots more xFactor imo. luckily playing for the canes teaches you a lot in damage control

Fair point about the dominant pack, but was this true of the final? I only caught the tail end, but my impression is that he wasn't given an armchair ride and still won plaudits. Out of interest, which other countries' packs are you predicting would give the Kiwi forwards a hard enough time to derail Mo'unga?

Is Mo'unga really that young?
He's like 9months younger than George Ford

Almost 100 club appearances between SR and ITM, NZ u20s campaign (4 years ago!), 4 baabaas caps. Sounds plenty experienced enough tbh

Is Mo'unga really that young?
He's like 9months younger than George Ford

Almost 100 club appearances between SR and ITM, NZ u20s campaign (4 years ago!), 4 baabaas caps. Sounds plenty experienced enough tbh
Why is this even a topic? Mounga played really well and he is probably the best flyhalve by form at the moment. But Beuden Barret has been the best for years now and will probably still be great for the Abs in the upcoming games. There should be no question that Barret deserves to keep his spot, at least until he doesn't perform. They should show some loyalty.

No one's saying drop Barrett they're saying give Mounga a shot,
He probably will get one but Hansen is acting like he's a bab barely out of nappies

Fair point about the dominant pack, but was this true of the final? I only caught the tail end, but my impression is that he wasn't given an armchair ride and still won plaudits. Out of interest, which other countries' packs are you predicting would give the Kiwi forwards a hard enough time to derail Mo'unga?
wallabies LMAO just kidding!!!
boks are shaping up to be a real contenders
ireland obviously
england on a good day
can never take france lightly

as they say in the NFL-any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday

And don't forget that absolute brainfart where dotted the ball down touch in goal, when the ball wasn't in the ingoal area... Absolutely shocking!!
To be fair to him - I reckon there are plenty of rugby players who thought as he did - they'll know better now.

To be fair to him - I reckon there are plenty of rugby players who thought as he did - they'll know better now.

Yeah FMO, but that was in the Law trials last year, and incorporated into Law this year. He should have known by now.

Yeah FMO, but that was in the Law trials last year, and incorporated into Law this year. He should have known by now.
He should've. But the thing that ****** me off the most about it is he didn't seem bothered by taking his time, and dotting it down when he had the chance when the ball was actually over the line. His recklessness is his own downfall.

Latest posts