• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Super Rugby] Round 2 (7-8 February)

Wow, that was some match. I don't think anyone on the board picked the Hurricanes to win, I sure didn't. This is going to be a wild & crazy SupeRugby 25th season.

The Stormers kept their opponent scoreless for a second week in a row. Very impressive!

Lions vs Reds was an entertaining match. Next to the Jaguares and Hurricanes, it was the closest score of week 2 competiton.

Last edited:
Week 2 -

Sharks 42
Highlanders 20

Brumbies 39
Rebels 26

Chiefs 25
Crusaders 15

Blues 32
Waratahs 12

Lions 27
Reds 20

Stormers 13
Bulls 0

Hurricanes 26
Jaguares 23

Last edited:
Results are in:
The winner for round 2 is @Gena_ZA with a score of 6/7

The rest all had 4/7 that includes me, Oliver Madden, Petite, Rugby USA and Stormer.

With the sole victory point Gena takes the lead on the rankings for now, and gains the provisional ***le most knowledgeable TRF forum poster for Super rugby (at least until week 3)

The standings now look like this
1.Gena_ZA (1)
2. Ken (0.5)
2. TRF_Stormer (0.5)

The Stormers nullifying another attack in two weeks was impressive. The Bulls camped out on their line for almost 20 mins and nothing could pass that defence. Stormers looking the real deal so far.

Lions disappointed me, i thought they would run away with it on the Highveld but the Reds almost won it. Reds looks good, not ***le contenders but possible top of the Aussie pile contenders.

I knew i had to go for the Blues but then i thought no Beauden no win, lessons learned, i still have to grasp the strength of the Aussie sides at home vs foreign opposition.

BBZH7nK.img
BBZH7nR.img

The Stormers nullifying another attack in two weeks was impressive. The Bulls camped out on their line for almost 20 mins and nothing could pass that defence. Stormers looking the real deal so far.

Lions disappointed me, i thought they would run away with it on the Highveld but the Reds almost won it. Reds looks good, not ***le contenders but possible top of the Aussie pile contenders.

I knew i had to go for the Blues but then i thought no Beauden no win, lessons learned, i still have to grasp the strength of the Aussie sides at home vs foreign opposition.

What irked me a bit in the Stormers vs. Bulls game was that the Bulls were in the Stormers 22 for nearly 10 minutes, and in that 10 minutes, the Stormers conced 6 penalties, yet Mr. Van Der Westhuizen didn't give them a warning or anything, nevermind a card. What bothered me more was that Burger Odendaal didn't come and talk to him about it, some of those penalties were cynical, and some were repeated offsides.

But kudo's to the Stormers, their defence was immense.

What irked me a bit in the Stormers vs. Bulls game was that the Bulls were in the Stormers 22 for nearly 10 minutes, and in that 10 minutes, the Stormers conced 6 penalties, yet Mr. Van Der Westhuizen didn't give them a warning or anything, nevermind a card. What bothered me more was that Burger Odendaal didn't come and talk to him about it, some of those penalties were cynical, and some were repeated offsides.
This is fair, was at the stadium and kept waiting for the talking-to to come and it never did.

Honestly not a fantastic game, I wonder if the Bulls might not have been better off starting with Libbok, playing Morne, is pretty much saying "we are playing SA style, beat you up front first rugby" and I just don't think the Stormers pack is going to lose that way.

This is fair, was at the stadium and kept waiting for the talking-to to come and it never did.

Honestly not a fantastic game, I wonder if the Bulls might not have been better off starting with Libbok, playing Morne, is pretty much saying "we are playing SA style, beat you up front first rugby" and I just don't think the Stormers pack is going to lose that way.

But Morne wasn't the weak link in the Bulls team though. And I honestly don't get why guys are bashing him now for the second week in a row, when he's one of the better performers for the Bulls at the moment.

Gelant has now had 2 poor games at Fullback. Johnny Kotze offers absolutely nothing at 13, and Burger Odendaal appears to be absent as a captain at 12. I mean, 7 penalties in the 22 area of the Stormers, and not 1 kick at goal??? That's just poor captaincy. Our lineouts will take some time with the new locks involved, So I can't really fault them for trying.

Plus that last break we had, Why did Hendricks cut inside, and then also passed the ball inside? We had Kotze outside, waving his arms like a kid waiting for ice-cream with nobody in front of him.

The errors we made were schoolboy errors, and I can't see why Morne is getting the punishment...

I also think Morne is very solid at the bulls last week against the Sharks he even made a monster try saving tackle ! .. I was like oh what wait ! Is the Morne tackling like that !!

But Morne wasn't the weak link in the Bulls team though. And I honestly don't get why guys are bashing him now for the second week in a row, when he's one of the better performers for the Bulls at the moment.

Gelant has now had 2 poor games at Fullback. Johnny Kotze offers absolutely nothing at 13, and Burger Odendaal appears to be absent as a captain at 12. I mean, 7 penalties in the 22 area of the Stormers, and not 1 kick at goal??? That's just poor captaincy. Our lineouts will take some time with the new locks involved, So I can't really fault them for trying.

Plus that last break we had, Why did Hendricks cut inside, and then also passed the ball inside? We had Kotze outside, waving his arms like a kid waiting for ice-cream with nobody in front of him.

The errors we made were schoolboy errors, and I can't see why Morne is getting the punishment...

Sharks were sublime, Landers played off the park
Rebels have a long season in front of them, result as expected
I expected a win from the Chiefs, the stars are aligned for them this year
Blues are my nemesis team, I always get them wrong, well played to them
Lions and Reds were both poor, one just slightly more that the other
Stormers/Bulls game was a bore-fest to be frank. Now that Bulls have their general, maybe the rest should come to the party as well as their rounding off was abysmal
Jags/Hurricanes - Surprised with the end result, watched the game in the early morning hours and Jags looked to be on top till close to the end

I feel you Hein, I'm not bashing Steyn he's really good at what he does, I meant more from a strategic perspective in breaking down this Stormers defense, you guys looked a little more dangerous on attack when Libbok came on.
That said, your point about captaincy is a good one, LOTS of points up for grabs not taken, if you got THE man on the kicking tee in your team why not bank the points? The Bokke and the Bulle have won many a game that way.

Sadly your backline does look tame with your centres running the show, Kriel was a huge loss for you as he broke the line at will in recent times, Kotze and Odendaal are really stodgey.

Latest posts