• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

he last start at flank (where I moaned about him being picked there) he had a blinder.
Aye, I remember that - was it in the Autumn?
I was bemoaning him playing 6 too but then, fair play, he did have a good game (but I still wouldn't start him there)

The thing about Laws is he plays the same at 6 or lock apart from the set piece.
I remember early on in Itoje's international career, when they'd play him at 6, Itoje would pack down in the second row and Lawes at 6
It was weird

Classy interview. Feel for the guy but he could still tour.

That's it with a lot of guys who didn't make the initial 37 squad. But they can still make it eventually. Use the anger and disappointment to prove a point. Plenty of players on previous Lions tours didn't make initial squad but ended up making the test team.

Setting up a gofundme to fly me and @Akker Van Der Tigs to South Africa to fist fight Warren Gatland

If you donate more than £10 you'll get a link to a livestream of the fight, more than £20 and you get a signed photo of me and @Akker Van Der Tigs , more than £50 and we'll consider you for the role of official ring girl

In contention for the starting 23
I don't think there is an official one, or at least a coach produced one
The official Lions site lists Lawes as a second row but Gatland definitely said he's going as a 6 who will cover lock in an emergency (article posted earlier on this thread)
Beirne is listed as a second row as well but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't going as a 6
Daly listed as a wing but I read somewhere he's going as a centre - I think he'll play 15 before he plays wing as well
thanks.

when you look at the split between positions I think there's no way at least one if Lawes and beirne are going to have time at lock.
Same with Daly at centre.
Classy interview. Feel for the guy but he could still tour.
given gatland said something about Kyle dealing with demons, I think this response may have won him over. Probably next in the plane if there's an injury

@ncurd re Lawes at 6, at least I think gatland made it clear that Lawes is the 37th man, there for the midweeks (not that he explicitly said that). Can't remember exactly what He said, someone posted it in the other thread.

i think what has been suggested by someone in here is probably true - that gatland hasn't picked some fringe test players because he doesn't think someone who is highly emotional about missing out on the test team will be aiding the preparation.

Gatland is definitely all about creating the right environment within the squad, though perhaps it hasn't always worked, and you can imagine that if sinkler was in the squad but didn't get named in the test that, even though he has shown he might ultimately respond well in then end, he'll be mentally unavailable to help prepare the team at least initially. Then there'll be other players who simply won't take it well at all. Remember some of these guys are players who aren't used to missing out, have been first choice for their teams their whole lives.

so if that's the approach, I would expect if there is an injury to one of the test contenders (and I honestly think there aren't that many positions up for grabs based on who he has selected), I would expect someone coming in to replace them could leapfrog players already there.

this approach by gatland, if indeed that is his approach, may increase the chances of winning the test matches, but in the flip side it's a bit unfair on players as they will see selection in the squad as a massive honour irrespective of how disappointed they'll be if they ultimately don't make the test team. It's their legacy at stake, potentially their biggest aspiration as a player.....
hey grandad were you ever in the lions?
No but I was in the top groups of players they just chose lesser players ahead of me for certain reasons, it's complicated.
Whatever grandad.
I f'd your grandmother

Watching the Leinster game with some mates there one of the lads put forward an interesting scenario.
Say for example Japan pull out of the game against the Lions due to Covid related stuff etc etc. So the slot is open.
Imagine a British & Irish Barbarians team throwing out a challenge to fill the gap.
With non selections and anyone willing to play you could gave a XV of

Healy
Kelleher
Sinkler
Gray
Ryan
Navidi or Underhill
Van der Flier
Stander or Billy
Cooney
Sexton or Ford
Stockdale
Davies
Ringrose
Lowe
Keenan

Its a bit Irish heavy because it was picked by Irish lads who had a few shandies but it raises the point that with the current Lions squad there is a good chance a B&I Barbarians of "non selections" would beat them.

I saw someone on twitter put together of Lions cast offs and I remember being more impressed with that than the actual lions side, tbh

So it costs roughly $100,000 per player to bring them on tour for the 2 months (roughly) it'll take - dang. I guess when you add up the nice flights, nice hotels, top level catering, use of training facilities, etc, that gets close to $100K?

Well his record against SH opposition for Wales was shocking, he also lost to Samoa in Cardiff. Gatland is very boom and bust... Bit like Eddie in that regard
NZ aside, his recent record against SA and Oz isn't to bad at all. I think against SA it was something like 6 wins out of last 7 meetings going back to around 2014. Australia less so but Gatland won his last 2 encounters with them so again, not bad.

I watched the majority of this Chief games and while it was no doubt a pretty bad run, honestly, the majority of those games the chiefs were very unlucky. Lots of 1-3 point games that hinged on 1 or 2 key moments. Considering it was his first club job in over 10 years it's not all that surprising really. Losing is losing though.

Wales under Gatland:
Australia: 3 - 13
South Africa: 5 - 11
New Zealand: 0 - 12

Also a draw vs Fiji, and a loss vs Samoa (Gatland was with the Lions when Wales lost vs Japan, so it doesn't count)

Latest posts