• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

Also there is no way he will go Finn and Farrell. Farrell doesn't like a maverick at 10 if he's at 12 (remember his strop when Cipriani kicked through for May to score vs SA on the last Eng tour) Farrell has to be in charge. And he's a teachers pet. And a dwad!
It's a combo I would like to see personally. Still, with Townsend trumpeting Finn's cause at 10 could help him. before last year I would say Farrell at 10 but not after last Autumn and this year's 6Ns, and I don't see Farrell not making the test team. So 12 it would likely be.

Wake up m8 there's no way sicknote would have lasted the tour that's why he int on the plane harsh but true
Yeah why pick the best and maybe need to replace him, when you can just skip straight to not picking the best
Simples
What to many players from the form team in the six nations the team that scored the most try's ?

Yeah. Balocoune should be there over adams, and dont even start me on tipuric. Even @Welsh Exile knows the score there

is there an official position breakdown? I heard gatland said Lawes was mainly chosen as a 6 who could cover lock, but do we know what beirne has been mainly chosen as?

a 4-8 lock-loosies split sounds odd, surely 5-7 makes more sense, which would mean beirne is picked as a lock.

??

I heard gatland said Lawes was mainly chosen as a 6 who could cover lock
Angry GIF

I just hope that POM and Zander Fagerson realise the consequences of their brain farts. A year of delusion on rugby forums until next year's 6N.
I dunno Wales only need one win to be back in it. Look how often they got humbled by the SH and minnows outside the 6N but always back on it after one good win.

is there an official position breakdown? I heard gatland said Lawes was mainly chosen as a 6 who could cover lock, but do we know what beirne has been mainly chosen as?

a 4-8 lock-loosies split sounds odd, surely 5-7 makes more sense, which would mean beirne is picked as a lock.

??
I don't think there is an official one, or at least a coach produced one
The official Lions site lists Lawes as a second row but Gatland definitely said he's going as a 6 who will cover lock in an emergency (article posted earlier on this thread)
Beirne is listed as a second row as well but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't going as a 6
Daly listed as a wing but I read somewhere he's going as a centre - I think he'll play 15 before he plays wing as well

Well as far as what will be required for the Boks 2 second rows who can facilitate throwing anywhere is important. Ryan certainly gives you that along with Itoje. Then you have the back rows and utility guys to supplement it.

On the Ryan issue I just cannot A) Get over his non selection and B) fathom the logic then used by Gatland. He says he wasn't selected because he had a bad game against LAR in a European semi. Yet Itoje is picked despite not playing well and personally contributing in some cases to England's 6 Nations woes and then playing in a competition containing teams made up of guys who had to pay in to see him do the above and work in Sainsburys.....

Yes on his day Itoje is obviously world class but going on Gatlands logic it just makes no sense...
Well the semi proves that an average/poor game is not beyond Ryan, Itoje has experience in big games against these same opponents and won't really need firing up, add to that IMHO at 100% Itoje is just out and out the better player, if only one of them was ever going it's a fair call.

Anyone who moans at laws playing 6 is foolish.

Imagine having him pushing our scrum at lock???? Yeah I'll take laws as an abrasive flanker over him at lock any day of the week at international level.

Although I'd rather of had underhill or Navidi but that's another story.

Has Lawes had a single good international game at Flanker?

Well the semi proves that an average/poor game is not beyond Ryan, Itoje has experience in big games against these same opponents and won't really need firing up, add to that IMHO at 100% Itoje is just out and out the better player, if only one of them was ever going it's a fair call.
The majority of Englands 6 nations campaign proves the same of Itoje really.
The logic of saying "we're not taking Ryan as he was outplayed by La Rochelle but we will take Hill who was outplayed by Ryan 2 weeks before" just doesn't add up.
The fact Gatland offered such a weak reasoning is very odd.

Gatland also seems to fall back on his coaching staff in a lot of his comments and I wonder what exactly their inputs have been.
Townsend undoubted pushed for Russell but you have to remember that Russell walked out if Scotland camp. Townsend in my opinion showed weakness giving him another cap. Is Scottish Rugby that poor that they cannot do without him in Townsends eyes? What if he kicks off in South Africa too?

Townsend undoubted pushed for Russell but you have to remember that Russell walked out if Scotland camp. Townsend in my opinion showed weakness giving him another cap. Is Scottish Rugby that poor that they cannot do without him in Townsends eyes? What if he kicks off in South Africa too?
This is harsh, people have their differences, and it may have been Russell apologising and committing to be better that caused this, we dont know. I'd highly doubt it's from Townsend just caving in and telling Russell he's right all along

Its not really weakness. more likely just growth and a better relationship because of it

I'm not sure Squidge is correct about the game plan but I agree with his point. There's more to picking a team than picking the best player in each position.

You can have loads of great players. If they don't complement each other the overall team will suffer. You want a bunch of players who play similarly and can operate as a coherent unit.

This is harsh, people have their differences, and it may have been Russell apologising and committing to be better that caused this, we dont know. I'd highly doubt it's from Townsend just caving in and telling Russell he's right all along

Its not really weakness. more likely just growth and a better relationship because of it

Agree with this. Nobody here knows what went on behind the scenes and so there is no point speculating who apologised to who etc. It was resolved internally and from what I read Townsend and Russell's relationship has been fully repaired. Townsend is responsible for the attack structure/philosophy and if he believes that his years of working with Russell will be of benefit then you can't argue with that especially as Gatland himself has picked his trusted Welsh players on those 50/50 calls on plenty of occasions.

On another note, I see Biggar was replaced after 20 mins in todays game v Gloucester (update....failed HIA according to BBC)

Last edited:
Has Lawes had a single good international game at Flanker?
Lots actually. You have a short memory, he last start at flank (where I moaned about him being picked there) he had a blinder.

The thing about Laws is he plays the same at 6 or lock apart from the set piece.

Agree with this. Nobody here knows what went on behind the scenes and so there is no point speculating who apologised to who etc. It was resolved internally and from what I read Townsend and Russell's relationship has been fully repaired. Townsend is responsible for the attack structure/philosophy and if he believes that his years of working with Russell will be of benefit then you can't argue with that especially as Gatland himself has picked his tried and trusted Welsh players on those 50/50 calls on plenty of occasions.

On another note, I see Biggar was replaced after 20 mins in todays game v Gloucester (update....failed HIA according to BBC)
He failed his HIA but he's not as fragile as Sexton apparently.

Lots actually. You have a short memory, he last start at flank (where I moaned about him being picked there) he had a blinder.

The thing about Laws is he plays the same at 6 or lock apart from the set piece.
I can't remember the last time Lawes had a great game if I'm honest and all his memorable performances have been as 2nd row in his early days. Certainly none where he's played 6. Either way there are locks and flankers who should be ahead of him and he shouldn't be on the plane.

Latest posts