• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

Henshaw is currently a favourite for 12 jersey, we'll see if he goes dual playmaker, or Henshaw/Daly, or even Biggar/Ruseell - Farrell - Henshaw

Either way you need to be able to punch a hole or two up the middle to create space out wide, so balance is crucial

This also wont be the final squad to pick from, sadly injuries always play a big part in a Lions tour
You'll get Murray, Farrell, Aki, Henshaw and you'll be ******* pleased about it.

Has AWJ ever made a dominant tackle? Let alone any in the last 6 nations?
I wondered about this the 6 nations he made a fair amount according to the official stats, not an outstanding amount but fairly average percentage against tackles made compared to other second rows.

I must of missed them all though.

Has there been any public statements about how a dominant tackle is actually tracked? It kind of just randomly appeared on tv broadcasts in 2019 but I've never actually seen it defined. Like Will Connors makes a lot of chop tackles behind the gainline but they're not dump tackles so do they count? Think it has the potential to be an informative stat but might be a bit PFFesque for any NFL teams out there.

Has there been any public statements about how a dominant tackle is actually tracked? It kind of just randomly appeared on tv broadcasts in 2019 but I've never actually seen it defined. Like Will Connors makes a lot of chop tackles behind the gainline but they're not dump tackles so do they count? Think it has the potential to be an informative stat but might be a bit PFFesque for any NFL teams out there.

I think it was so they could praise England/Farrell for tackling.
Farrell started to miss more tackles Ford wasn't missing, "Oh but look at his dominant tackles compared to Ford"

My guess is it's tackles that carriers don't gain yardage in.

I'd track them by the amount of times I verbally say 'oooff' during a match. Which is typically every Sam Underhill tackle.

But yeah no clue how its actually measured. I assume if the player goes backwards from the point of tackle.

I can kinda of see what you're saying but I'd disagree. I think we went for a lot of safe ball at the front with Tipuric so I agree we weren't throwing loads to the tail and getting good strike plays off it but I think it's a push to say our line out was dominated.

Agree on Ryan for sure.
Well as far as what will be required for the Boks 2 second rows who can facilitate throwing anywhere is important. Ryan certainly gives you that along with Itoje. Then you have the back rows and utility guys to supplement it.

On the Ryan issue I just cannot A) Get over his non selection and B) fathom the logic then used by Gatland. He says he wasn't selected because he had a bad game against LAR in a European semi. Yet Itoje is picked despite not playing well and personally contributing in some cases to England's 6 Nations woes and then playing in a competition containing teams made up of guys who had to pay in to see him do the above and work in Sainsburys.....

Yes on his day Itoje is obviously world class but going on Gatlands logic it just makes no sense...

Well as far as what will be required for the Boks 2 second rows who can facilitate throwing anywhere is important. Ryan certainly gives you that along with Itoje. Then you have the back rows and utility guys to supplement it.

On the Ryan issue I just cannot A) Get over his non selection and B) fathom the logic then used by Gatland. He says he wasn't selected because he had a bad game against LAR in a European semi. Yet Itoje is picked despite not playing well and personally contributing in some cases to England's 6 Nations woes and then playing in a competition containing teams made up of guys who had to pay in to see him do the above and work in Sainsburys.....

Yes on his day Itoje is obviously world class but going on Gatlands logic it just makes no sense...
Yeah it's mad. Think there's almost universal agreement that having Hill in over Ryan is pretty outrageous. I'm not really that worried about the lineout tbh. Well, not yet anyway.

Yeah it's mad. Think there's almost universal agreement that having Hill in over Ryan is pretty outrageous. I'm not really that worried about the lineout tbh. Well, not yet anyway.
I always said that Gatland has an English bias and that's why he's selected hill.

Or maybe something like that. Generally don't get the hill selection.

Latest posts