• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

I reckon Lions have got this. It will be physical no doubt but intellect, talent and sheer bloody mindedness will win the day.
3-1

Obviously I'd like to see a Lions win. I'd a like it won in the first two matches so the final test can be used to give all the midweek players a test match spot.

I'd love the Lions to win and not just edge it, to comprehensively destroy SA. God knows they need taking down a peg or 10 after the world cup, although I can already see the sort of snide comments they'd come out with.

Some more South African confidence/arrogance. Couple of new dudes this time, one of which being the son of the dude who looks like the master chef bloke. Trotted out the old "**** squad if you have that many Scots in it" line.

Some more South African confidence/arrogance. Couple of new dudes this time, one of which being the son of the dude who looks like the master chef bloke. Trotted out the old "**** squad if you have that many Scots in it" line.

I'd say Scotland are drastically better than they were in 2018, or at least more rounded, at which point the two teams were actually quite close (26-20 SA won) so unsure about all the negativity other than historically
Its like if NZ were laughing at any Wales players being picked to play them due their record v Wales, just dumb and uneducated rugby chat

That's obviously debatable but it's not even really the point. Was Matfield the best lock in the world at that point. Was he even the best lock SA had when he was knocking on 40s door?
Nah I don't acc care, just fishing haha.

But Olly is right, not debatable

This is the internet in the 21st century. You can debate facts like the earth is a sphere so I reckon I think it's safe to say this is debatable. Like I said, though, not the point. I love Matfield tbf so don't want to go there. Lol

Brute force. Enjoy

The reading of the play for the intercept is first class, but the leg drive after is just insane

Last edited:
On top of this, the Telegraph posted an Article on the Sale v Bath, Underhill v Curry

Some of Curry's highlights from that game are just wow. Like sooo good, his carrying and ability over the ball, he also really goes for the rip... In a pacy game, its what you want,, his engine as well. I dont see a more complete back row player around, he's so good and somehow he keeps getting better. His offloads in that game, class handling ability

That's obviously debatable but it's not even really the point. Was Matfield the best lock in the world at that point. Was he even the best lock SA had when he was knocking on 40s door?

Well his last test was in a Semi-final of a World Cup against NZ in 2015. Plus he did win the World Cup, Tri-Nations, B&I Lions tour, Currie Cup, and Super Rugby trophy.

He was also feared by all teams for his reading of line-outs and stealing of opposition ball.

He is in the GOAT category when it comes to locks...

AWJ - not so much.

And we are not trembling in our boots that he's coming with the Lions....

Well his last test was in a Semi-final of a World Cup against NZ in 2015. Plus he did win the World Cup, Tri-Nations, B&I Lions tour, Currie Cup, and Super Rugby trophy.

He was also feared by all teams for his reading of line-outs and stealing of opposition ball.

He is in the GOAT category when it comes to locks...

AWJ - not so much.

And we are not trembling in our boots that he's coming with the Lions....
I think the big thing about Matfield is he's potentially the best lineout operator of all time. He's so good. He did well in every other facet of the game, and ofc athletic ability can decline with age etc, but still one of the premier locks around at an older age because he read lineouts so well, and stopped teams having a platform to play with

AWJ is a workhorse, but its hard to argue that his ability to really grab a game by the scruff of the neck hasnt gone down over the years its inevitable, and he doesnt have the lineout prowess Matfield did. Him and Botha were one of the greatest second rows of all time, for a long time

On top of this, the Telegraph posted an Article on the Sale v Bath, Underhill v Curry

Some of Curry's highlights from that game are just wow. Like sooo good, his carrying and ability over the ball, he also really goes for the rip... In a pacy game, its what you want,, his engine as well. I dont see a more complete back row player around, he's so good and somehow he keeps getting better. His offloads in that game, class handling ability

IMO he's the best all round flanker in Europe potentially world rugby right now.

Latest posts