• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Rugby Championship] Round 1 Argentina vs Australia (06/08/2022)

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Georgia
Venue: Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, Mendoza
Kick-off: 16:10 local (20:10 BST, 19:10 GMT)
Referee: Mike Adamson (Scotland)
Assistant Referees: Karl Dickson (England), Chris Busby (Ireland)
TMO: Marius van der Westhuizen (South Africa)

Argentina: 15 Juan Cruz Mallia, 14 Santiago Cordero, 13 Matias Orlando, 12 Jeronimo De La Fuente, 11 Emiliano Boffelli, 10 Santiago Carreras, 9 Tomas Cubelli, 8 Pablo Matera, 7 Marcos Kremer, 6 Juan Martin Gonzalez, 5 Tomas Lavanini, 4 Matias Alemanno, 3 Francisco Gomez Kodela, 2 Julian Montoya (c), 1 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro
Replacements: 16 Agustin Creevy, 17 Mayvo Vivas, 18 Joel Sclavi, 19 Santiago Grondona, 20 Rodrigo Bruni, 21 Lautaro Bazan Velez, 22 Tomas Albornoz, 23 Matias Moroni

Australia: 15 Tom Wright, 14 Jordan Petaia, 13 Len Ikitau, 12 Hunter Paisami, 11 Marika Koroibete, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Nic White, 8 Rob Valetini, 7 Michael Hooper (c), 6 Jed Holloway, 5 Matt Philip, 4 Darcy Swain, 3 Allan Alaalatoa, 2 Folau Fainga'a, 1 James Slipper
Replacements: 16 Lachlan Lonergan, 17 Matt Gibbon, 18 Taniela Tupou, 19 Nick Frost, 20 Rob Leota, 21 Pete Samu, 22 Jake Gordon, 23 Reece Hodge

I think I've readjusted my expectations of Australia to something more realistic since July, but they have to be heavy favourites here surely? I'm not even clear what time of year an Argentine playing in Europe gets a break. They literally seem to play 12 months of the year.

I don't know the Aussie centres at all but they must be decent as I rate Hodge at centre.

Lavinini to sample his first taste of the 20 min red card rule inside the first 15mins. :D

Wallabies by 13

Yeah I'm going to record this one... State of that reffing line up.
I was gonna make a joke about being asleep but this is in a proper timezone

nervous for this one cause I think Australia are actually good and Argentina looked iffy during the Scotland series. This should be a helter skelter game.

It sounds pretty serious. Good on him to go to the team doctor and assess his options. Pretty dangerous game to play if your mind is elsewhere.

At least the Aus union are saying the right things about Hooper. Good luck to him in getting to a better place. We've had similar things with tennis players and cyclists in recent years. I guess this becomes increasingly inevitable in societies that operate in a way where around 16% of the population take anti-depressants each year (Scottish statistic). Just because you a successful sportsperson doesn't make you immune to things.

Kerevi was allowed to miss Argentina to play 7s at the Commonwealth games. Injured himself there and is out for the year. Pumas will never get a better crack at the ***le than this year. :p

Yeah I had to take a couple months off from working out starting last December to about may due to anxiety. Went to doctor tried medications and they alone didn't work. I just had to find a way to destress (finishing law school helped with that) before I was able to focus on a workout for more than 5 min.

Most people my age that I know are on some type of anti-anxiety or anti-depressant.

Went to doctor tried medications and they alone didn't work. I just had to find a way to destress (finishing law school helped with that) before I was able to focus on a workout for more than 5 min.
It's a mad world when the first recourse is to throw drugs at the problem before trying to solve the problem and eliminate the need for drugs.

Yeah I had to take a couple months off from working out starting last December to about may due to anxiety. Went to doctor tried medications and they alone didn't work. I just had to find a way to destress (finishing law school helped with that) before I was able to focus on a workout for more than 5 min.

Most people my age that I know are on some type of anti-anxiety or anti-depressant.
Are you in a better place now sir?

It's a mad world when the first recourse is to throw drugs at the problem before trying to solve the problem and eliminate the need for drugs.
Tbf I was also looking for a silver bullet but yeah you can't take shortcuts. It also doesn't help when the whole take a deep breath and go on a run don't help.
Are you in a better place now sir?
oh yeah it was just stress related to finishing up law school. Got a good therapist that was more like a stress coach. I had a good support system but none of my friends are doctors/therapists so there was only so much they could do. It did take some hard work though.

So it sucks for hooper that him and the staff decided that playing right now wasn't for the best but if it was bad enough to go to a doctor it was enough to keep him off the field.

The defending for the first couple of tries looked almost like JRLO or MLR.

Went pretty much as expected. I fear we may see a more comfortable Wallabies victory next time out.

I'd imagine that the Pumas players probably get prematurely tired in games due to the accumulated fatigue of never having a proper rest during the year. Dropping off in the last 20 might be a recurring theme.

I'd imagine that the Pumas players probably get prematurely tired in games due to the accumulated fatigue of never having a proper rest during the year. Dropping off in the last 20 might be a recurring theme.
They had the same problem when al the players played in Super Rugby tbf

They had the same problem when al the players played in Super Rugby tbf
Yes, but at least those players should have had December and January as an off season. I think then it was more that the were additionally knackered because they had the most unhealthy travelling schedule for the other 10 months that possibly any sport has ever seen.

Is living out of a suitcase for 10 months more or less draining than playing with less travel for 11.5 months? Horrible choices in terms of player welfare I'd imagine.

Latest posts