• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] England Squad

So im unapologetically fully on the Arundell hype train! Was gutted when he got injured amd wanted him to kick on, yet also a big Murley fan and believe he deserves it and has earned it.

All i can think is as wingers you have Watson, Freeman, Malins who all also cover FB and Marchant who is 13 who covers wing

And Daly(when fit) who covers centre wing FB.

Then OHC vs Murley as the 2 wingers, id have Murley personally.

Its odd but also he must see Arundell as a world cup bolter and Murley as a post WC player.

I mean I really dislike Youngs and he massively ruined the flow at the weekend but in reality with JVP being so raw and Eddie ruining our succession planning we've not really got anyone apart from Care to come in as the experienced role and I'm not sure that's any better.

Quirk is injured?
Playing terribly since he came back from injury - by all accounts he was awful vs Bristol on Friday, and should be 4th choice at Sale

Think Randall is back now so should be in the mix, though has as many weaknesses to his game as Mitchell does

Been joking about it but if we want a 9 who'll get the ball to our 10 with no fuss then could do a lot worse than Warr

Realistically 9 is a problem position for England, especially with JvP not playing near his best

All Borthwick's fault. If he hadn't got this job, Wiggles would still be playing and in the mix.

Genuine question. How's Spencer going at Bath?
Not great, looks more like Youngs every time I see him.

Borthwick was reportedly only allowed to make 5 changes to the EPS, yet a good chunk of this thread is talking about players who aren't there and can't be picked in the current squad … it's pointless.

With limited options, it would have been a straight choice between Youngs (who Borthwick knows well) or Mitchell who he doesn't. I'd have preferred Mitchell, but it's not that hard to see why he went with Youngs.

Let's give the bloke a bit of time to settle in and pick his own squad. Making childish judgements after one game and next to no time in the role is the last thing we need.

Nah, Youngs on a good day is probably still the best 9 we've had since Matt Dawson,
It's just those good days are about 2 every world cup cycle

Borthwick was reportedly only allowed to make 5 changes to the EPS, yet a good chunk of this thread is talking about players who aren't there and can't be picked in the current squad … it's pointless.

With limited options, it would have been a straight choice between Youngs (who Borthwick knows well) or Mitchell who he doesn't. I'd have preferred Mitchell, but it's not that hard to see why he went with Youngs.

Let's give the bloke a bit of time to settle in and pick his own squad. Making childish judgements after one game and next to no time in the role is the last thing we need.
I think its a hangover from EJ, constantly annoyed at selection, favouritism and seemingly having a lack of common sense. So when a Borthwick team comes out and doesnt win, with Smith/Faz and youngs and seemingly odd picks like Malins on the wing it seems like EJ mk 2, after so long of dealing with him i see why people would have a short fuse.

I fully agree with you but see why people are thinking the worst.

Playing terribly since he came back from injury - by all accounts he was awful vs Bristol on Friday, and should be 4th choice at Sale

Think Randall is back now so should be in the mix, though has as many weaknesses to his game as Mitchell does

Been joking about it but if we want a 9 who'll get the ball to our 10 with no fuss then could do a lot worse than Warr

Realistically 9 is a problem position for England, especially with JvP not playing near his best
I'll say it again, I haven't been fussed with any of the scrummies we had coming through.

However I love the look of Charlie Bracken.

I really rate Dombrant but at some point it has to be called a failed experiment (unless he can start to bring his club form), I could be moss remember it wasn't a good game for him but I am can't remember a game In an England shirt I thought wow he was great, I'd love to see both Willis bros paired run themselves in the ground then let Curry come on for one of them with Earl at 6, I'm not saying this would defiantly work but hell what we've had hasn't worked I want to see players excel as they get legitimate challenges for the short not get comfortable and under perform which is a common theme. I appreciate hands are tied to a large extent so much of this may not be possible.

Who else is there, tbf
We've already got Mitchell there and realistically he's not good enough
I heard there was a promising lad called Gus Warr, with a name like that he must be good, on a serious note I'd bring Care in if Dombrant and Smith are going to continue and Evans involvement it seems to make sense.

I believe that Dombrandt will come good so would stick with him a little longer. Controversial perhaps, but I can't say the same for Smith. I just don't see him making the step up to the level that's needed. How many caps has he now? I look back to when Farrell and Ford had their first few caps and you could just tell straight away that they were test players. Same with Cipriani, in fact. Am I alone?

Latest posts