First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Scotland

ENGLAND SENIOR MEN'S 36-PLAYER TRAINING SQUAD

FORWARDS

Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 18 caps)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 107 caps)
Alex Coles (Northampton Saints, 3 caps)
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Sale Sharks, 41 caps)
Chandler Cunningham-South (Harlequins, uncapped)
Ben Curry (Sale Sharks, 5 caps)
Theo Dan (Saracens, 7 caps)
Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, 15 caps)
Ben Earl (Saracens, 25 caps)
Ellis Genge (Bristol Bears, 58 caps)
Jamie George (Saracens, 85 caps) – captain
Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, 7 caps)
Nick Isiekwe (Saracens, 11 caps)
Maro Itoje (Saracens, 76 caps)
Joe Marler (Harlequins, 88 caps)
Beno Obano (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)
Tom Pearson (Northampton Saints, 1 cap)
Ethan Roots (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 33 caps)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 30 caps)

BACKS

Oscar Beard (Harlequins, uncapped)
Danny Care (Harlequins, 96 caps)
Elliot Daly (Saracens, 64 caps)
Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Immanuel Feyi-Waboso (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped)
George Ford (Sale Sharks, 91 caps)
Tommy Freeman (Northampton Saints, 3 caps)
George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 6 caps)
Ollie Lawrence (Bath Rugby, 21 caps)
Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, 11 caps)
Tom Roebuck (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 57 caps)
Fin Smith (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 30 caps)
Ben Spencer (Bath Rugby, 4 caps)
Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 31 caps)

3 lost already
Beard .Lawrence and lcd
'England have called up Newcastle's Jamie Blamire and the Bath pair of centre Max Ojomoh and wing Will Muir.'

Seems Ojomoh is next amongst the young 12s, likely see Mitchell MSmith Freeman Dingwall Slade Daly Steward, Care FSmith Roebuck/Ojomoh

Thats what i expect vs Italy

Can someone explain the rationale of selecting Cole and Marler?

Is Borthwick just that conservative?

Is there not a lot behind them?

Is there real quality behind them, and Borthwick wants the younger guys to fight their way into the first team?
I dislike that Gatland has gone the other way, leaving out 28 and 31 year old starters and going with early 20's no capers, but at least it feels like progress.

Yeah, they're there on merit not conservatism
I struggle with that, Cole especially has looked his age for a few seasons now, what is he 37?

does it say much about how Stuart, Genge and Sincklar have failed to develop and cement their spots?

I tell you who I do like, Heyes, I hope he gets some game time, there is some potential there.

I struggle with that, Cole especially has looked his age for a few seasons now, what is he 37?

does it say much about how Stuart, Genge and Sincklar have failed to develop and cement their spots?

I tell you who I do like, Heyes, I hope he gets some game time, there is some potential there.
Depends what you want from your tightheads, Cole is still scrummaging well and that's the most important thing
Stuart is looking better this season but hasn't impressed at international level, he'll get his shot this 6N as 2nd choice
Sinckler's dropped off a cliff and was never a great scrummager to start with
Genge is probably first choice loosehead, and was in the running for captain, so don't agree on that

Heyes is OK, nothing great - very young though so hopefully will continue to improve

It's easy to forget Heyes is only 24 considering he has nearly 150 pro games under his belt.

Perspective Painter is a year older with nearly 3 times as less

But Heyes needs to work on his legs being too long in the hit with the initial push

Depends what you want from your tightheads, Cole is still scrummaging well and that's the most important thing
Stuart is looking better this season but hasn't impressed at international level, he'll get his shot this 6N as 2nd choice
Genge is probably first choice loosehead, and was in the running for captain, so don't agree on that

Heyes is OK, nothing great - very young though so hopefully will continue to improve
I mean is Coles scrummaging worth the lack of mobility, lack of athleticism and hampering development?

It just seems like an odd selection for a rebuild season, the next big milestone is Jan 2026, surely Borthwicks plan to peak then doesnt involve Cole, and his ability to increase Englands performance?

I mean is Coles scrummaging worth the lack of mobility, lack of athleticism and hampering development?
Yes, absolutely

Props should be developing at club level not when they're starting for England - if you're not good enough for your club to take Cole's spot off him you shouldn't just be gifted it,
The 2nd/3rd choice options will get game time as no prop plays the full 80, I'd imagine Stuart will probably get a start or two too, it's not a position where no one else gets a crack

Worry is that its was Martins pushing at lock that helped more than anything else.
Yeah, that's why I want Isiekwe there, by all account he's a massive lynchpin in Saracens scrum

'England have called up Newcastle's Jamie Blamire and the Bath pair of centre Max Ojomoh and wing Will Muir.'

Seems Ojomoh is next amongst the young 12s, likely see Mitchell MSmith Freeman Dingwall Slade Daly Steward, Care FSmith Roebuck/Ojomoh

Thats what i expect vs Italy
According to opta, in European competition this year. Dingwall, Furbank and Freeman have most metres in contact than any other players. Top 7 also incluse Pearson. Even as a Saints fan that surprised me.

Pity Stuart has brains made of cheese and can't seem to get through a single game without giving away some extremely stupid penalties. Then again Cole was like that about 10 years ago.

The impact of a poor set piece ripples out throughout the team and they're our best scrummagers. Unless or until others match their scrummaging the shirts are theirs.
Well that's the thing isnt it, Cole could maintain his scrummaging strength well into his 40's, doesnt mean he can play international rugby, even though hes nearly there lol.

But my apologies, I wasnt trying to derail the thread with Cole bashing, I just dont understand the rationale of selecting players who will block the development of others.

Well that's the thing isnt it, Cole could maintain his scrummaging strength well into his 40's, doesnt mean he can play international rugby, even though hes nearly there lol.

But my apologies, I wasnt trying to derail the thread with Cole bashing, I just dont understand the rationale of selecting players who will block the development of others.
Who's better, though?

Latest posts