• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales 6 Nations squad 2024

Tats
Unlikely to get it at Bath currently - Prem's on hiatus until after the 6N.
I know we've a couple of friendlies booked (can't remember when) but he's what? 4th choice? 5th. Those friendlies are more likely to keep the higher choices sharp, rather giving time to the academy
a really good point actually...

Oh hang on. Hes injured, that makes sense now

I mean is it harsh, hes 25 he still looks and plays like a 20 year old. Owen Lane is the same age, and is an established good club player who is proven, Roger's is still wishy washy at club level, having played what 40 times, Lane must have played double that number.

Roger's is a premiership player sadly
Yeah I think it's harsh but then I rate him a lot more than you so I would say that. I think his problems recently have been twofold. 1. Injuries haven't helped but also he's clearly not a winger which is where he plays most of the time.

Him playing like a 20 year old is a fair comment though and probably part of the reason why I thought he was 22/23 still.

Yeah I think it's harsh but then I rate him a lot more than you so I would say that. I think his problems recently have been twofold. 1. Injuries haven't helped but also he's clearly not a winger which is where he plays most of the time.

Him playing like a 20 year old is a fair comment though and probably part of the reason why I thought he was 22/23 still.
I was as shocked as anyone, I slate him but I thought he was 22 or so too. It makes it even more crazy that Lane cant get a look in, knowing Roger's is 25!

What has Lane and Young got to do to get a real shot?!?!

Has Lane proven himself though? I don't think he's developed at all since bursting onto the scene and has slipped down the pecking order at Cardiff with Grady and Summerhill often ahead of him. Although Cardiff have been rotating their players heavily this season, so difficult to tell.

Lane obviously has size on his side, but like Grady I think his rugby intelligence, defense and aerial ability are all below par.

It's really difficult to judge many of the Scarlets players, especially outside backs. It's not a coinsidence that all of Rogers, Conbeer, Roberts, McNicholl etc. have all looked below par this season. Confidence in the squad appears shot and the tactics are appalling.

Hasn't Lane been super injury prone as well? I swear there was a time he made Leon Brown look like Bruce Willis in Unbreakable

Either way, if it was me I wouldn't look at Rogers and Lane as competing with each other as I see Rogers exclusively as a 15 and Lane as a wing/13

Some of these quotes from Lloyd might trigger you @dirty harry so tread carefully, deep breaths.

"To be honest I haven't thought about it too much from an historic point of view," he said, days after Wales' 16-14 defeat to England in London. "I'm just trying to put my best foot forward and execute my role within the team.

"There are a lot of learnings from the first two weekends. I try not to think about external factors too much. I just try and go out there and play rugby.

I've learned a lot about game management at Test level. Obviously there are very few opportunities out there so when they do come, you've got to be able to take them. It's the same on the flip side. Any turnover of ball is an opportunity for the other team.

It's fine margins. I think the speed of the game is a lot quicker and the physicality is something I'll hopefully get used to. I'm enjoying the challenge.

"I think the 10 position is one of the game drivers, one of the main game leaders, so that sort of pressure is expected. It's something that I have anticipated going into the 10 jersey. As I've said, I don't try to think about it too much. I think 10s everywhere will take a lot of scrutiny, probably not as much praise as they should in other aspects.

I think I've got a strong running game. I feel my kicking game is a strength and it's about learning from the opportunities I've had in the past couple of weeks. I need to implement them into my game as quickly as possible.

I see myself as a fly-half," said the 22-year-old. "Obviously any opportunity to pull on the red jersey – whether it's at prop or fly-half – I'll take it. Fly-half is where I've always played and when I see myself.

"It can be frustrating at times but at the same time I did see the bigger picture with it. I do feel I've learned a lot through playing other positions. There is an argument for experience at 10 but at the same time, playing other positions allows you to see how they see the game. Going back to 10 now it's helped me in that way

Neil Jenkins has talked a lot about speed into position – and Rob Howley has as well – and also speed from catch to whatever you are going to do, whether it's pass, kick," said Lloyd. "We've talked a lot through it and obviously I've got to see exactly what he's talking about over the last couple of weeks. I think that little bit of a reminder has helped me a lot the last couple of weeks."

Calling the experience of playing at Twickenham "unbelievable", Lloyd also quickly shook off any comparisons with John, despite his own elusive style of running. "I would never compare myself to someone like that," he added. "I'd never have the cheek!"

The game against England was by no means perfect, with Lloyd being caught near his own line by Maro Itoje, resulting in Ben Earl's first-half try - not that you could really place the blame on Lloyd in that instance. Still, he's philosophical about it all.

I think that's part of the learning process," he said. "Obviously it's a tough way to learn. It hurt obviously but I want to try and improve on that now going into next week."

That said, there's clearly a licence for this young Welsh team to play when it's on. "We talk a lot about playing heads-up rugby, the pictures in front of us, and not being afraid to take the opportunities when they come.

"Obviously there is a fine balance between that and taking risk. I think the stuff we tried at the weekend weren't risks. We felt they were on and that's where the space was. Execution comes into that then and ours wasn't good enough at times. I think that's something we can build on"

Has Lane proven himself though? I don't think he's developed at all since bursting onto the scene and has slipped down the pecking order at Cardiff with Grady and Summerhill often ahead of him. Although Cardiff have been rotating their players heavily this season, so difficult to tell.

Lane obviously has size on his side, but like Grady I think his rugby intelligence, defense and aerial ability are all below par.

It's really difficult to judge many of the Scarlets players, especially outside backs. It's not a coinsidence that all of Rogers, Conbeer, Roberts, McNicholl etc. have all looked below par this season. Confidence in the squad appears shot and the tactics are appalling.
I dont disagree with you regarding Grady and Lanes rugby IQ, to be nice they are slightly lacking. And I also agree Lane burst onto the scene but hasnt become much more...

But Summerhill, he and Thornton are 2 of the worst professional rugby players i have ever witnessed, and this comes from someone who sat in the stands watching Norton knight!!!

Lane hasnt been rotated, hes just been injury prone this season, and for his faults, his slight lack of all out pace and IQ, hes one hell of a finisher, and always makes a difference. How Roger's is selected ahead of him, at the same age is crazy to me.

For me Grady has every attribute to be a world class centre, size, speed, skill, athleticism, power... but sadly he is the scarecrow, and he should go and ask the wizard for a brain!

I was totally with Lloyd until he said his running game and kicking game were a strength...

Can someone remind me of a solid run or kick he delivered?

Latest posts