Mako
Walker
Cole
Isiekwe
Earl
Youngs
Lawrence
Watson

Individually there are some I'm quite pleased to see, and some less so. But as a collective it's a bit underwhelming with a lot of fairly inexperienced players in the starting XV (admittedly Borthwick's hand has been forced to an extent). Haven't done the maths but I'm guessing Farrell has more caps than the rest of the backs combined by a distance. Itoje will have more than 5,6,7 & 8 combined.

Some of the bench may make an impact but the Scots will definitely be fancying this.
Still not a Smith Faz fan but interesting to see it under Evans as attack coach.

Id have Ribbans over Iseikwe personally, i think he offers more ball in hand to have an impact later on in the game.

But overall not to unhappy especially given injuries.

Lack of brains has been the big concern for England the last few years. It's funny but in all our discussion about players the question of whether they are a clever player or dumb as a brick is never brought up, and yet it's hugely important.
It's got to be what's cost Jonny Hill, as on paper he's a perfect foil for Itoje, in reality he's diet Lavanini

Lack of brains has been the big concern for England the last few years. It's funny but in all our discussion about players the question of whether they are a clever player or dumb as a brick is never brought up, and yet it's hugely important.
It kind of has via penalty / card counts.

But you're right, being smart is critical. Also partly depends on whether coaches empower their players or just require them to do what they're told. I suspect from academies upwards there's too much of the latter with Jones, allegedly, being an extreme example.

Scotland team: Hogg; Steyn, Jones, Tuipulotu, Van der Merwe; Russell, White; Schoeman, Turner, Nel; R Gray, Gilchrist; Ritchie (c), Crosbie, M Fagerson.

Replacements: Brown, Bhatti, Berghan, J Gray, Dempsey, Horne, Kinghorn, Harris.

When did Hogg last play?

Pretty strong squad for Scotland
Finn Tuipulotu Jones is a pretty powerful centre partnership vs Faz Marchant(potentially)

If you missed it.
Screenshot_20230202_105455_Samsung Internet.jpg

Promising thing from a Borthwick POV was it does seem like he is looking at
10. Farrell
12. Kelly
13. Marchant/Slade

As his primary midfield

Surely not Malins....especially when we have Murley in the squad

Scotlands choices in the backs are exciting and not really what I predicted, should have some zip at 9 as well. The front row is a bit worrying I hope Nel can find something extra as I haven't been impressed by him as a sub in the AI's.

Surprised to see Richie Gray starting, especially over his brother. Is he just in good form?

Feels like he's been around forever.

Latest posts