• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2023 Six Nations] Ireland v England - 18 March 2023

Steward makes two decisions which result in the second most dangerous possible outcome behind head to head contact in my mind. Firstly, he jumps, without his feet on the ground he has very little control of what he's doing. Secondly he turns his shoulder towards Keenan, maybe instinctively shouldn't matter after the first bad decision, if he opens up his body it delays contact ever so slightly and increases the chance of Keenan hitting his torso which increases the chance of there being no injury.

I've maintained the whole way that he was very unlucky but that two small bad decisions ended up with the worst possible result - it's enough for me to show red if we're actually serious about this.

I think the incident being low paced and in a static situation is the difference. Look, I wouldn't be upset if we start being more serious with them but that's not where the game is and I don't think anyone arguing for a red there is doing so with sufficient knowledge and/or in good faith.

It's two players going for a loose ball. I keep saying that rugby has lost its mind over a knock on. If Hansen puts a delicate kick through there and the same happened no one would argue the result. We have advantage in rugby so you play the whistle, I don't think Steward did.

Andy Dunne is a really good pundit over here, he thinks Steward tried to get away with a sneaky one using the knock-on as an excuse. Now I don't think that's true for a second, it's a rare case of him being wrong, but it's far less ridiculous to suggest a player using a breakdown in play as cover to get a borderline hit in than it is that a player would go looking for head contact to get the opposition a red card as has been suggested here.

If we want to allow this in the pro game, and it's clear that most people do, we have to have separate head contact rules for pro and amateur rugby. Until then we have to do better.

You don't know that's what happened, you've seen one angle of it. I also said in my first response to you it was probably a red but I couldn't say for sure without more angles.

Again you're making stuff up here to suit your view. Firstly, he's not clearing out the ruck, he's securing the ball by latching on to Irish players, Sheehan and VdF if I'm not mistaken. Secondly, Ryan doesn't run in, he has both feet on the ground entering the ruck. And thirdly, he just absolutely doesn't clobber him, there's no recoil, no whiplash, he pushes him with his shoulder.

We just don't see incidences like this given cards, maybe we should and I wouldn't be against it.

I never made that argument, I said I didn't have a hot take because the officials and citing commissioner agree.

I shouldn't be put on the back foot, or ridiculed because of bad faith arguments like these. I am of the opinion right now that had Keenan hit Steward in a reverse of the incident we'd all mostly be in agreement that he should have seen red, Olyy and a couple of others would be the exceptions. This is a very anglo-centric website, it is very hard to voice an opinion against the English position and not be berated from all angles by posters who aren't even giving you the respect to read your posts correctly. Every point I've made I've relayed back to the laws of the game and evidence we have, and yet I've been ridiculed or called a hypocrite directly or indirectly by at least three other members. Do a bit better.
I do apologise for any part I played in you having any feelings of ridicule or being put on the back foot, we clearly have slightly differing positions and perspectives on some of the officiating calls on the day but to echo what has already been said value and respect your input here, also respect you being pretty honest about it.

Quite often people deliberately go out of their way to berate the English and display pretty severe hatred, Hansen, Hogg as players that delightful Welsh poster last week are instant examples, this probably heightens the defensive stance at times (none of that is on you of course).

I do apologise for any part I played in you having any feelings of ridicule or being put on the back foot, we clearly have slightly differing positions and perspectives on some of the officiating calls on the day but to echo what has already been said value and respect your input here, also respect you being pretty honest about it.

Quite often people deliberately go out of their way to berate the English and display pretty severe hatred, Hansen, Hogg as players that delightful Welsh poster last week are instant examples, this probably heightens the defensive stance at times (none of that is on you of course).
No not at all. look I was not blameless, I got short and snarky to. It was just that in about a half hour span this morning I was indirectly and directly called a hypocrite, "laughed reacted" at and mocked. I might not have been right but I'm not so far wrong that that's appropriate, and my preconceptions and biases are/were clearly very removed from a dislike of the English rugby team. It was just in that moment where I realised how tough it can be going against the mob here, It's likely that I'm often part of that mob and I'll consider that in future.

The whole incident has only changed my mind in one way, and that's that we need separate head contact laws for amateur and professional rugby if we're going to let mitigation go beyond a third party affecting the contact zone.

I shouldn't be put on the back foot, or ridiculed because of bad faith arguments like these. I am of the opinion right now that had Keenan hit Steward in a reverse of the incident we'd all mostly be in agreement that he should have seen red
See, I think you're generally a GOATed poster/member but I can't help but feel have been guilty of the complaints you levelled at others here. I'd also 100% be saying it was not a red had Steward been the one who came off worse in a theoretical vice versa. See the incorrect accusations/assertions regarding simulation (oh, it's only because its Sexton) for similar. I'm a little disappointed with some of your comments and attitude (which I understand with hindsight) but that's about it, it's definitely not about attacking anyone or attemoting making you feel bad as it's not the intention at all.

I am sorry if I've contributed to you feeling poopy, I will try to be more aware in the future. I bribe ee withum zider if Is able to innum

It never should have been a red. A blatant forward pass that gets picked up by the same team will get players to pull up. If steward had stayed in the tackle there's a decent chance some ****le starts for a needless tackle. He pulls out and something unfortunate incident occurs resulting in being shown a red. Incidents happen in context. This wasn't a shoulder charge to the head or even a lazy tackle refusing to lower their shoulder.

Latest posts