• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Wales vs France - 10/03/24

Beard was one of the better Welsh players imo. I know that isn't saying much right now, but surprised about the amount of backlash he gets here.

Beard was one of the better Welsh players imo. I know that isn't saying much right now, but surprised about the amount of backlash he gets here.
It's because the front 5 is our main problem area and our front row are all as average as each other so there's no real selection headache there, but in the row we have 2 genuinely good out and out locks. I personally wouldn't have Beard as 3rd choice but I'm happy enough, in the short term, with him being on the bench.

From the outside looking in it seems the most obvious upgrade we can make to improve us

Yes and no. He had no idea where it would go. He probably only had a rough idea of who was there. However, the execution was so good that it it didn't give the Welsh a chance to intercept.
He was just trying to recycle the ball. Didn't matter where it went as long as it went to his back line. Mission accomplished.

Meh. Lucky and speculative.
If he misses and passes straight to a Welsh player I would agree but he doesn't. It was risky though. Pulls it off gets applauded for it, doesn't and gets called an idiot for attempting it.

It's because the front 5 is our main problem area and our front row are all as average as each other so there's no real selection headache there, but in the row we have 2 genuinely good out and out locks. I personally wouldn't have Beard as 3rd choice but I'm happy enough, in the short term, with him being on the bench.

From the outside looking in it seems the most obvious upgrade we can make to improve us
The row is actually our strength currently...

Front row, back row, half backs, centres and back 3 are all far more problematic.

We dont have a scrummaging 3, a constant uneven back row with a 6 at 8, 9 or 10 cant kick a blwdi ball, centre is a mess for us, we either go with a wild card and the limited power guy, or the average all rounder and not so mighty mouse.

Adam's needs dropping, and we need to build a 15 replacement, Winnet has done everything asked of him, but let's be honest hes not ready, and theres literally nothing behind him

The issue is that Wales are obviously lacking physicality and ball carriers. We have very few physical options available to us, but Rowlands is probably one of our best call carriers, yet is playing second fiddle to Beard. It's a no brainer for me. Also one OK performance from Beard suouldn't gloss over the umpteen mediocre performances he's put in previously!

The row is actually our strength currently...

Front row, back row, half backs, centres and back 3 are all far more problematic.

We dont have a scrummaging 3, a constant uneven back row with a 6 at 8, 9 or 10 cant kick a blwdi ball, centre is a mess for us, we either go with a wild card and the limited power guy, or the average all rounder and not so mighty mouse.

Adam's needs dropping, and we need to build a 15 replacement, Winnet has done everything asked of him, but let's be honest hes not ready, and theres literally nothing behind him
I think we're just having one of those days today because I disagree again. I think you'll find we have no good tight heads. Full Stop.

We only have 1 good hooker (who can't throw) and who, more importantly, isn't in the squad, and a bunch of okay-ish loose heads. If that doesn't meet the criteria for a problem area I don't know wtf does to be honest.

When you look at personnel, in my opinion, the rest of the pack has a lot of talent in it.

A 9 who can't kick but who has been one of our best individual players and you want to single him out as one of the main problems in our game? Nah, not for me not even close. I honestly haven't heard anyone go on about Tomos Williams like you have, he's having a good 6N.

10 I'll concede is a problem but that's more an inexperience problem than a talent one, I'd argue. Center isn't a "mess" either. Room for improvement sure but not a problem area. I do agree lack of depth at 15, and Winnett being very green is a concern, though.

It was said for comedic effect. Joking aside it's clearly a work on for him but if he could just stay fit I'd back Lake to sort that and become a top hooker in a few years.
Yeah other attributes are there for sure, things like that should be fixable.

I think we're just having one of those days today because I disagree again. I think you'll find we have no good tight heads. Full Stop.

We only have 1 good hooker (who can't throw) and who, more importantly, isn't in the squad, and a bunch of okay-ish loose heads. If that doesn't meet the criteria for a problem area I don't know wtf does to be honest.

When you look at personnel, in my opinion, the rest of the pack has a lot of talent in it.

A 9 who can't kick but who has been one of our best individual players and you want to single him out as one of the main problems in our game? Nah, not for me not even close. I honestly haven't heard anyone go on about Tomos Williams like you have, he's having a good 6N.

10 I'll concede is a problem but that's more an inexperience problem than a talent one, I'd argue. Center isn't a "mess" either. Room for improvement sure but not a problem area. I do agree lack of depth at 15, and Winnett being very green is a concern, though.
The row as in second I meant, front row is awful. We dont have a good int standard front tower.

I'm only banging on about Tomos because hes been poor, we dont have a 10, or back who can kick, Tomos needs to step up and lead from th front, he isnt doing that. He is a good 9, who at his age should Be a leader, but he still plays like a 23 year old live wire.
If Dupont was kicking like Tomos is currently, hed have been dropped from the French squad. We cant win games without a kicking game, our 10s are not capable, Winnet isnt great either, and Tomos is compounding the problem.

The row as in second I meant, front row is awful. We dont have a good int standard front tower.

I'm only banging on about Tomos because hes been poor, we dont have a 10, or back who can kick, Tomos needs to step up and lead from th front, he isnt doing that. He is a good 9, who at his age should Be a leader, but he still plays like a 23 year old live wire.
If Dupont was kicking like Tomos is currently, hed have been dropped from the French squad. We cant win games without a kicking game, our 10s are not capable, Winnet isnt great either, and Tomos is compounding the problem.
Bro, you're just wrong. Hes been good, one of our best players this 6N. I don't agree his kicking has been terrible but even if I grant you that to ignore all the other positive aspects of his game he brings to the side is silly in my humble opinion.

Bro, you're just wrong. Hes been good, one of our best players this 6N. I don't agree his kicking has been terrible but even if I grant you that to ignore all the other positive aspects of his game he brings to the side is silly in my humble opinion.
I didnt negate anything...

He should have started every game, Davies was picked to hold Costelows hand first game, and they both kicked so poorly it was crazy.

Tomos has been good for Cardiff, and kicks better there, but in red his kicking has been atrocious. You can disagree but your not the one chasing these long and shallow box kicks. Tomos is a good player who should be very good at this stage. With 2 bad 10s we need him to take control of things, and he just doesnt seem capable of that.

The sign of great players is their ability to be what the team needs of them, look at Wainright, he was always a technical, athletic pacey around the park back rower. In the absence of a leader and ball carrier he has become so much more. That's what I was hoping from Tomos, taking a bit of responsibility and pressure off bad 10's.

Instead Gatland has been forced to draft in Robert's, who is not only the inferior player to North, but also gave away 2 tries from his boot.

Latest posts