• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

40 Years since "that" try. Is it the best ever?

Is that try the best ever.

• Yes, it was the best

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No, I've seen better

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters

Not as good as some of the others but is 100 metres and very fun to watch

Last edited by a moderator:

Last one promise its Kirwan in 87 first try of the first RWC great run

This one was a dramatic try, that gave victory to the Pumas and their classification to quarterfinals in RWC 11. Amazing run from Gonzalez Amorosino...

@Cymro, oh no my friend, I am not saying it doesn't matter, it just doesn't interest me personally.
The game pre-1999/1995 really does look like a different sport, so many law changes.

I agree. You're right but I dunno about 1999...perhaps starting from around the first or second RWC.
I mean like, when I see those great tries from even the 80's, like Blanco on Australia (again, not biased, but that's the only one that clearly comes to mind !) it certainly looks fundamentally like a try that would be scored today.

I think it's got to do with the quality of those players. We'd think that because they score such unbelievable tries, it's necessarily not a coincidence and has to do with the weaker defense of the era, the gameplan not being as sound as today's etc...but then you look at guys like Dan Carter or O'Driscoll and the stuff they manage to pull off today and it sort of puts things in perspective.

So what I mean is there's total continuity between way back in say, at least the 80's, and today's game I'd say.
1999 seems too late for the limit.

This one was a dramatic try, that gave victory to the Pumas and their classification to quarterfinals in RWC 11. Amazing run from Gonzalez Amorosino...

yeh...fantastic try in deed. Boyyyyyy Scotland really has had it hard since that freakin RWC in retrospect, ay...goddamn, they lose that match like THAT, the England one similarly. Then the Spoon a few months later to start the year off, then the ok June tests and then the bad showings in November...

Last edited:
Just youtube "How to silence 94000 Afrikaaners".

It really is silent in the end.

Okie dokie - I never saw this try before since it was before I discovered rugby. So I watched it on youtube. Is it the best try ever? No...I've seen equally great tries in the 11 years I've been watching the game. However, I will say that it is probably both the context of the game and of the era that makes it great, especially to those who saw it firsthand. To relative noobs such as myself it may not seem like much, but I bet 40 years ago that was just about the most exciting try folks had ever witnessed.

das

Latest posts