• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

6 Nations from S hemisphere

Yeah, Brian Ashton twice actually, since if he had been left in charge after the 2007 world cup we might have seen an English backline move before 2010. I don't think we had the players to win the 2011 world cup, but we didn't have to be such a boring team for most of those 4 years. Players that Johnson ignored: Cipriani, Simpson-Daniel. Players he favoured: Hape, Banahan. The first two were flaky but brilliant, the second two were predictable but mediocre. I think the only excuse for boring rugby is winning, but we all we won was a 6 nations ***le after being thrashed by Ireland. The centres that day? Hape and Banahan.

This, for me, is one of the fundamental differences between the NH and SH club level games. Whereas one has relegation - with some big clubs having suffered to their detriment - the SH has consequence-free (relatively, at least) rugby. This, unfortunately, feeds through to the national game.

While the pragmatic approach suits SA, and NZ have the ability to match anyone's game, no-matter how slow, I'm not so sure that the Aussies will manage quite so well at the business end of the tournament.

I'm sure all teams will try to enforce their style of play, come RWC knock outs, but will take any points on offer, rather than run the ball at all costs. My point is, very few NZders were advocating that the ABs go for a try, when Stephen Donald lined up for that penalty in the 2011 RWC final. All teams go into the win at all costs mentality, so it's unfair to try to tar solely, the NH sides, with the non-running rugby brush. I tend to find the closeness of matches provides the excitement for me anyway.

I'm interested in your point about relegation. Are you saying fear of relegation promotes a more win at all costs/less expansive approach, that feeds into the national game?

The bonus point approach for four tries scored in a match in both Super Rugby and The Rugby Championship certainly promotes running rugby, but I'd argue that the win ugly mentality still exists when the extra points cease to become relevant in terms of winning the comp/championship

I'm sure all teams will try to enforce their style of play, come RWC knock outs, but will take any points on offer, rather than run the ball at all costs. My point is, very few NZders were advocating that the ABs go for a try, when Stephen Donald lined up for that penalty in the 2011 RWC final. All teams go into the win at all costs mentality, so it's unfair to try to tar solely, the NH sides, with the non-running rugby brush. I tend to find the closeness of matches provides the excitement for me anyway.

I'm interested in your point about relegation. Are you saying fear of relegation promotes a more win at all costs/less expansive approach, that feeds into the national game?

The bonus point approach for four tries scored in a match in both Super Rugby and The Rugby Championship certainly promotes running rugby, but I'd argue that the win ugly mentality still exists when the extra points cease to become relevant in terms of winning the comp/championship

NH Rugby has the same bonus point system, but relegation certainly impacts on the rugby.

The rugby yesterday was thrilling, BUT, it's a very rare rare day you get northerns hemisphere teams playing exciting rugby.
Yes they play winning rugby, and they play territorial rugby, and they play % rugby, but it's a RARE day they play exciting rugby.
Yesterday under strange circumstances that intensified after each game as the Welsh put a marker down there was no choice for the Irish but to really go for it, and then England were forced to put the pedal to the metal in order to give themselves a chance of the great glory.
Wales and particularly England shipped WAaaaay too many points, only the Irish maintained their defence and that why they are the best in Europe again this year.

It was easier for Ireland in the last game than it was for England and Wales I think . Wales had to go out hell for leather and only managed it in the second half . Ireland were looking for a fairly modest score against a Scotland team that had been fairly poor for the majority of the 6N and England had the hardest game and needed to win by 26 points it was a huge ask and ultimately we fell just short . I think us (England) and Wales conceded more points in the last weekend because of the manner we had to play . Wales' defence against Ireland was the best defensive performance I think I've ever seen .

I find it strange people are saying this was the best 6 nations for ages. I thought that apart from Wales Ireland and the final weekend, it was a bit dour.

I find it strange people are saying this was the best 6 nations for ages. I thought that apart from Wales Ireland and the final weekend, it was a bit dour.

....add the second half of Wales England and no arguments from me!!

i think that overall all tournaments and leagues have got it about right.
the rabo 12 was an odd case as regards cup qualification but that seems to have been at least partially rectified.
one change id like to suggest is perhaps a play off between the top 3 championship sides and the bottom premiership side.
this may go some way to stopping any yoyo effect.
i enjoyed every minute of every 6 nations game !!!!!