• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

8-team World Cup

sigesige00

Bench Player
I have another idea about World Cup.
There are traditional competitions -- 6 Nations and Tri-nations.
6 Nations and Tri-Nations have no promotion/relegation and qualifiers.
I want to see a 8-team brute World Cup every year.
The bottom team is relegated to the 2nd division, and the winner of the 2nd Division is promoted to the World Cup 1st Division.
What do you think about my idea?

As usual crap idea.....what's wrong with the RWC so far it has been pretty competitive, every underdog has shown fight in large portions of every contest.

Last edited:
I have a sneaking suspicion you're a Rugby League fan... While it is a great sport, has some damn strange ideas when it comes to World Cup formats.
Simple fact is, nobody is gonna dismantle the 6 Nations any time soon, though adding to it is a real possibility. Same for the Tri (soon to be Quad) Nations

Rugby Union and Rugby League

I have a sneaking suspicion you're a Rugby League fan...

I like both Rugby League and Rugby Union. However, here in Japan, Rugby League is virtually unknown.
I also like Association Football, Gaelic Football, Netball, Futsal, Hockey, Cricket.
By the way, my father was an Olympic player in Gymnastics.

I think it would be good if the World cup was structured in such a way it made normal test rugby more important but I'm not sure about that idea...

The bottom team is relegated to the 2nd division, and the winner of the 2nd Division is promoted to the World Cup 1st Division.

you know, nobody on this site will look at your posts if you say crap like this and can't even count! 6 nations plus tri-(3)nations = 9 teams!!

Okay..

1. 6N plus 3N teams = 9 teams.

2. The bottom is relegated.. to where? Perhaps you mean that 1 left over team?

It would take a LOT away from the world cup;

- the festival atmosphere has a lot to do with the size of the player pool and the diversity of cultures/nations represented

- it's the only time that the we and the IRB get to see the sort of 'mismatches' that don't usually occur and it is a good barometer of measuring the success/failure of development attempt by the IRB and the 'smaller' rugby nations themselves

- only having 8 teams would deny the Fiji's, Samoa's and Japans (only examples) of the world that chance to cause an upset and go through to the play-offs which happens just about every world cup; you're idea would have denied Argentina their 3rd place last RWC in France.

- having all teams possibly capable of reaching the play-offs rather than just cherry-picking 8 lends more legitimacy to the tournament as a WORLD cup

- it gives 'smaller' teams a chance to not only measure themselves against the best but to learn from them

- money wise (and yes the IRB needs to make money to develop the game) the tournament would be a lot less financally feasible with less matches and a lesser audience base (particularly TV audiences) both of which would be the case with an 8 team tournament.

That's just some points from the top of my head. I'm open to debate though.

Last edited:
Ok, I thought this was going to be a sensible idea of some sort of cup inbetween WCs for the lesser teams.

As in a 2013 cup (around the same time as each Lions tour) when the teir 2 teams like the North Americans, Eastern Europeans, Namibia and the teams that are just short of qualification such as the Uruguays & Spains could get a bit of experience. Teams like these winning matches or cups could increase popularity.

But nope, some daft idea that would make top tier teams playing eachother even more repetitive not to mention excluding the smaller nations and the fact that the World Cup messes up the NH club season enough as it is without a daft idea ike this.

It's just a bad idea. There would be no point in the RWC, which means teams like Romania, Georgia, Japan, USA, Canada, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Uruguay, Namibia, Russia, Ivory Coast, Zimbabwe, Spain and Portugal would never be able to show case their talent and Rugby would grow stagnent and die in those countries.

He (I presume) thinks your idea is very bad. It seems that you have provided a few bad ideas*. Which is why he thinks it is a theme of yours.

* see All of your Posts.
Lmao I've just seen the one about inforcing the same headgear colour hahahaha:lol:. Mate this bloke has to win some sort TRF award "Most Creative Topics". Sigesige00 you are now my favourite TRF member!:cool:

you know, nobody on this site will look at your posts if you say crap like this and can't even count! 6 nations plus tri-(3)nations = 9 teams!!

Maybe he wants to kick out Italy. Or England for being so damn boring to watch.

Latest posts