• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Difficult Issue to Talk about

There are so many things in life where a bit can make life great and too much can destroy it; the idea that boys don't cry and that men tough it out is one of them. Sometimes, things get too much, and every man needs to accept he must surrender, that he must withdraw and regroup before carrying on. There is nothing wrong with that and everyone knows there's been many great men who've done it; more of us than we know have to do it.

Woldog, I'm glad you've recognised that this is one of those moments, won't destroy yourself over it and are ready to face up to getting better again. And that goes every other member here in similar situations.

You can't fight cancer if you're not diagnosed. You can't fix a car if you don't know what's wrong with it. You can't heal yourself if you don't see something is wrong.

This is a really fantastic post Woldog and It takes a massive amount of courage to come out and speak so openly. I'm sorry to hear you were in such a dark place and to the point where you were is simply terrifying. But trust me when I say you're not alone and if there's ever an occasion where you'd like an independent impartial opinion hit me up with a PM or get my FB off one of the boys.

As for the women , take a break from chasing is all I can say. As wretched as it is that the more detatched one is from a relationship the more most girls fight tooth and nail to hold on. Again if you'd like there's plenty of literature regarding female psychology and how it relates to getting what or whom you want.
But I reckon that a certain W.B Yates describes the scenario better than I

Never give all the heart, for love

Will hardly seem worth thinking of
To passionate women if it seem
Certain, and they never dream
That it fades out from kiss to kiss;
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.
O never give the heart outright,
For they, for all smooth lips can say,
Have given their hearts up to the play.
And who could play it well enough
If deaf and dumb and blind with love?
He that made this knows all the cost,
For he gave all his heart and lost.

Always keep a small piece of Woldog just for Woldog.

I don't really see it as couragous. But I figure if sharing my problems can encourage or help others than why not (Remember it was only a week ago I was standing above the train tracks surrounded by cops, a lot of things can happen in a week to affect your mood or keep you going).

I don't really see it as couragous. But I figure if sharing my problems can encourage or help others than why not (Remember it was only a week ago I was standing above the train tracks surrounded by cops, a lot of things can happen in a week to affect your mood or keep you going).
That's the essence of it.
Speaking about one's mental health is an extremely difficult thing to do for an awful lot of men , young and old and yet you did it so openly for this purpose in the hope that you can help someone else. That is indeed courageous.

Good post mate.

In terms of girls - I went years without a girlfriend simply because there wasn't anyone I really connected with. Then a few years ago I met a South African girl who I really liked - went out for a month or so - and then she left for Perth for a new job and within a week or so was in a relationship with her ex from a few years ago. That took a week of constant sighing (also during the last week of my undergraduate degree and with 10,000 words in essays to write) . Then November 2013 I met a German girl, knew she was going away to Germany in six months, but fell in love with her in a relationship which was kind of premeditated on knowing we only had 6 months. Which in hind-site probably wasn't healthy. So we spent every day together - but drew some weird boundaries so not to get too attached, and that probably ended up being one of the most difficult things to cope with. Going to Germany later this year to hopefully see her and we're still in regular contact (although not ending it obviously doesn't make it easy to put it out of my mind), but I've spent half a year feeling incredibly down about how unfair life can seem. My advice on girls (which I ignore frequently) is that you know the girl is right for you if she genuinely makes you feel happy and secure. If that isn't there, no matter how incredibly infatuated with them you are, it's just not going to be a happy relationship. If your feeling jealous, or suspicious or insecure - there is probably a reason for it. And it's probably just as much about how you are feeling about you.

In terms of depression, like it seems a lot of people on here I've been in a similar dark road. I have a few times, much like others through my early years of high school and much more recently, when you think "What's the point? Things aren't going to get better. It would probably just be easier if it was over". What has helped me is actually writing down how I've felt during some of these points. And when they pass you can read how you felt. Sometimes I read it and I think it was written by a completely different person, someone who just seemed to lose hope. I remember in 7th form I wrote a letter to myself as part of a class project to read for when we left in 7th form. The contents were generally based around what you had hoped to achieve by the time you finished. My letter read something along the lines of "I hope to have achieved not being such a fat loser, because my life sucks" - in more detail. I was genuinely astonished as I didn't feel that way at all about myself by 7th form. I wrote a letter last year which I haven't had enough time pass to open yet, but overall when I think back to how astonished I was in 7th form - it is encouraging that the way I have been feeling probably won't be my reality in five years time.

Other than just time passing and the cloud lifting, having mates who can remind you that there is a reason that you're their friend, is worth its weight in gold. It's easy to think that you just don't have anything to offer - but the reality is that if there is anyone out there who likes you, there is probably a reason why. Maybe you're funny, or you go the extra distance to help people, or your genuinely a good friend. You only need one thing going for you, and you probably have a lot more than that. Just remember those things - and if you can't think of any ask a good mate.

Actually Nick I think a while back around 2011, you had a talk with me about this kind of stuff because I was going through it with another girl. it was on Facebook or MSN hahaha

It's good to bring these types of feelings out in the open, Woldog even (like you said) if it's only on an online rugby forum. While I was lucky in love I took a series of big knocks in my studies (couldn't finish), profession (it was the semi-depression and I wasn't earning a salary working- when I had work- for myself) and no surprises finances and was newly married on top of it all and stuggling to adapt to married life. It all came to a head when I had to tell my wife after we were 1) burgled that 2) I had failed to pay the insurance for two months and 3) our finances were in a shambles and 4) I had been dropped out of my course since I couldn't pay for the first semester.

I didn't take it too well and my dad was a bit rough on me- fair but rough. My wife was a bit shocked to say the least but credit too her she got round pretty fast and supported me when I wasn't taking it too well. Talking about it all openly and getting professional help (though I could only pay for one session) but mostly incredibale support from some people from a church I was only half-interested in at the time got me through and on the up and up.

So I guess I am just saying you are not alone, not at all, and the best policy is to bring it out in the open and trust your support and if you don't have it search for it.

Last edited:
To be honest I did not expect the response this topic got, I'm kind of overwelmed by the support of the members and the situations others have been in. I'm doing a lot better now. I just hope this haze has lifted before my May 2nd fight (no not the Pacquiao v Mayweather undercard).

That's the essence of it.
Speaking about one's mental health is an extremely difficult thing to do for an awful lot of men , young and old and yet you did it so openly for this purpose in the hope that you can help someone else. That is indeed courageous.

Indeed so. :bravo::bravo:

Update: I now have a wonderful girlfriend after a month of taking her on dates.

Actually Nick I think a while back around 2011, you had a talk with me about this kind of stuff because I was going through it with another girl. it was on Facebook or MSN hahaha

I think MSN had longed died a death by then!

I know this is a few months old but nevertheless very interesting. I suffer from bipolar disorder which is a torturous illness from which I will never be safe. I have medication but it only goes so far. Being healthy of mind is extraordinarily difficult sometimes. But its good to talk.

Latest posts