• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Beginner at rugby, not sure how to start

Pixie

Academy Player
Hi, I am a girl at 18, and I have been interested in trying out rugby for a while now, and I was wondering if you have some advice and maybe words of caution for me?
My boyfriend has played rugby for a few years, and sometimes I have sort of thought about maybe playing together with him and his friends at some point, but I am not sure if that is a good idea.

A lot of clubs run a touch rugby which is a good place to start learning the basics.

Then see if there is a ladies team you can train with etc I'm sure they will be very welcoming.

Then enjoy the greatest sport known.

Talk to the club. Chances are they will know best.
Caution/advice: pay a LOT of attention when learning how to tackle. Technique wise.

My boyfriend has played rugby for a few years, and sometimes I have sort of thought about maybe playing together with him and his friends at some point, but I am not sure if that is a good idea.
Touch rugby, yes. If tackling is allowed absolutely not.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Hi, I am a girl at 18, and I have been interested in trying out rugby for a while now, and I was wondering if you have some advice and maybe words of caution for me?
As others have said, find a club most have a womens team. You'll be made very welcome and it's a good time to start with a new season getting under way.

You can train with guys as long as it doesn't involve contact. Passing, catching etc. Basically touch rugby as has been said.

Good luck it's a great sport no matter what level or type of game you play.

Thaanks, everyone.

As others have said, find a club most have a womens team. You'll be made very welcome and it's a good time to start with a new season getting under way.

You can train with guys as long as it doesn't involve contact. Passing, catching etc. Basically touch rugby as has been said.

Good luck it's a great sport no matter what level or type of game you play.
Yeah, I was mostly worried about the contact thing, since there is probably quite a lot of difference between manle and female tackles.
And a typical male player vs a girl my size would probably get bad very easily.

Thaanks, everyone.

Yeah, I was mostly worried about the contact thing, since there is probably quite a lot of difference between manle and female tackles.
And a typical male player vs a girl my size would probably get bad very easily.
Yeah, you'd either be playing women's rugby, or non-contact

Tackles, but also rucks, mauls and scrums.
Either way, if you're heading to the local this weekend, let us know how you get on.

You won't be playing full contact straight away of course, but you'll probably get on the women's bench as soon as your not a danger to yourself and others in the tackle.

Everyone has posted good advice, the best thing to do is turn up at the club and ask/try it, you won't need much kit other than boots and a mouthguard which are pretty readily available for minimal money.

I am in week 3 of going to training at my local club after 18 years out of the game, I love the team camaraderie and learning the skills is great fun as well as a good workout. At 34 with a young family I am not going to play in matches, but its a great social activity and good for making new friends.

Most of our training is touch or scrag apart from specific training matches or drills - its the simplest way to learn the skills and structures while minimising injury for the matchday lads. Tackling and contact will come with practise.

It's great that your BF plays, if you haven't already done so then start passing and kicking a ball about - it's not as scary as it might sound!

Let us know how you get on, it's a brilliant game.

Thaanks, everyone.
I will visit my sports centre some time this next week, I think.

Everyone has posted good advice, the best thing to do is turn up at the club and ask/try it, you won't need much kit other than boots and a mouthguard which are pretty readily available for minimal money.

I am in week 3 of going to training at my local club after 18 years out of the game, I love the team camaraderie and learning the skills is great fun as well as a good workout. At 34 with a young family I am not going to play in matches, but its a great social activity and good for making new friends.

Most of our training is touch or scrag apart from specific training matches or drills - its the simplest way to learn the skills and structures while minimising injury for the matchday lads. Tackling and contact will come with practise.

It's great that your BF plays, if you haven't already done so then start passing and kicking a ball about - it's not as scary as it might sound!

Let us know how you get on, it's a brilliant game.
Thanks.
There have been a couple occasions when my boyfriend has been playing a bit of brief spontaneous rugby with some of his friends when I have arrived there, and I have sometimes felt curious about it and sort of wanted to join in, but all of them are well over a foot taller than I am (my boyfriend is 6'2, and his friends are of similar height), and they are also much heavier and with a much more powerful build than me, so it really felt like entering a lion's den, haha.
I abandoned that idea quite quickly, and decided on visiting my gym while they have games for women's teams and things like that instead.

Have you ever spoken to your partner about your desire to join in. I'm sure they would love to have you playing too. They could arrange a day where they played touch or did other passing drills

Have you ever spoken to your partner about your desire to join in. I'm sure they would love to have you playing too. They could arrange a day where they played touch or did other passing drills
Yes, I did try playing together with them a couple more times - they play it quite often when they have their own hang-outs - and my boyfriend insisted that we should avoid tackles while I was with them.
It turned out to be very enjoyable for everyone, although I still felt that they had a significant physical advantage, but it was fun for everyone either way.

I had to hang up my boots last season through injury but made it to my early 40s. I'd love to play now, but I can't as my left shoulder is ruined.

Latest posts