• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine he's going to be doing a lot of deep thinking on his balcony.

Coincidentally he has an inner ear infection that drastically affects his balance.

Russia is a sick ******* joke.
That's too much. Don't insult my country.
I accept criticism, political discussions and some funny jokes (I can also write it sometimes),but never - insults. You guys are talking about anti-racism in other threads and at the same time insult the whole country just because of the couple of idiots/minuses in it (they exist everywhere,not only in our country).
What you called "a sick ******* joke" is a country of Tolstoy, Pushkin, Dostoyevsky, Chekhov, Bulgakov, Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, Kandinsky,Repin; one of the biggest cultural heritages in the world and a country of millions of decent people.
Me, I'm a weak girl,but I would recommend you to avoid this phrase in a conversation with a Russian man.

Last edited:
That's too much. Don't insult my country.
I accept criticism, political discussions and some funny jokes (I can also write it sometimes),but never - insults. You guys are talking about anti-racism in other threads and at the same time insult the whole country just because of the couple of idiots/minuses in it (they exist everywhere,not only in our country).
What you called "a sick ******* joke" is a country of Tolstoy, Pushkin, Dostoyevsky, Chekhov, Bulgakov, Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, Kandinsky,Repin; one of the biggest cultural heritages in the world and a country of millions of decent people.
Me, I'm a weak girl,but I would recommend you to avoid this phrase in a conversation with a Russian man.

Ok if you want pedantry, the Russian government is a sick joke. Also why would I avoid saying such a thing to a Russian man? Because they would be violent? Wouldn't exactly do much to disprove my point. Russia is carrying out numerous state assassinations and is corrupt to the core.

Also are any of those names from after the revolution?

That's the thing about criticising countries and their Governments. I have no problem whatsoever criticising the CCP. Unfortunately, the way I see it is the conflation of nationalism and Government. We can look at Israeli Government and Zionism; Trump conflating bending of the knee to disrespecting the flag etc. And if course Brexit. Crazy time we live in because of this shift from being patriotic to nationalism.

Does this help explain the mind of the average Trump supporter?

The part that sums it up for me is:

"they are completely unaware that they are misinformed." Or in layman's terms too dumb to realise that they are ignorant.

Pretty scary that there are around 60 million or more who could still turn out and vote for him in November.

"they are completely unaware that they are misinformed." Or in layman's terms too dumb to realise that they are ignorant.

Pretty scary that there are around 60 million or more who could still turn out and vote for him in November.

There is also the fact that what Trump says fits with their narrative or world view and so that's why they don't question it. I want to hear X, Trump says X, Trump must be right so I vote for him. It completely ignores whether their world view is accurate, they listen as long as the person speaking supports that world view. It's why it is so hard to change their mind because it's a belief, not knowledge.

Ok if you want pedantry, the Russian government is a sick joke
Ok then. But you didn't precise in your previous message, you wrote about the whole country that's why I was offended. I dislike this government as well,here I agree

Also are any of those names from after the revolution?
There's at least half of them who was born before the Revolution but wrote their best novels/created their masterpieces after. But we have much more than this list, I gave the most known (in foreign countries) names. During last 30 years we had some talented artists/writers/composers but no one who I would compare with Kandinsky, Prokofiev and Bulgakov (for example). Sad but true.

I think it's more than just that. Yes, that article rings a lot of truth to it, and I saw that with my own eyes when I worked in the States a couple of years ago.

I have another theory, in that the mainstream media, who are mostly Pro-Democrat with all the hollywood actors showing their support, are doing everything in their power to throw shade at the republicans and Trump, but in doing exactly that, they keep on making the Republican followers more Pro-trump.

What's worse is that the talk shows in the States keep on employing foreign presenters like John Oliver, Jim Jeffries and Trevor Noah, instead of promoting their own people. Yeah, those guys are funny, but purely because they are not American, they lose value into the things they say and talk about.

From an outsider's point of view, I always had this view of americans as being these loud, obnoxious, overweight fools, and I had that opinion since I was a kid. Isn't Trump the poster boy of exactly that image? And isn't that exactly why so many of his fellow americans support him?

My dad always said that if he lived in the USA, he would have been a republican, regardless of the person running for office. He's a very conservative guy, and isn't big on change (which old person is?), Which made me think that many Americans are probable brought up like that the same way, in that they are Republican-Americans. And would rather support Trump, than be on the same side as the Deemocrats and their more liberal viewpoints.

I think it's more than just that. Yes, that article rings a lot of truth to it, and I saw that with my own eyes when I worked in the States a couple of years ago.

I have another theory, in that the mainstream media, who are mostly Pro-Democrat with all the hollywood actors showing their support, are doing everything in their power to throw shade at the republicans and Trump, but in doing exactly that, they keep on making the Republican followers more Pro-trump.

What's worse is that the talk shows in the States keep on employing foreign presenters like John Oliver, Jim Jeffries and Trevor Noah, instead of promoting their own people. Yeah, those guys are funny, but purely because they are not American, they lose value into the things they say and talk about.

From an outsider's point of view, I always had this view of americans as being these loud, obnoxious, overweight fools, and I had that opinion since I was a kid. Isn't Trump the poster boy of exactly that image? And isn't that exactly why so many of his fellow americans support him?

My dad always said that if he lived in the USA, he would have been a republican, regardless of the person running for office. He's a very conservative guy, and isn't big on change (which old person is?), Which made me think that many Americans are probable brought up like that the same way, in that they are Republican-Americans. And would rather support Trump, than be on the same side as the Deemocrats and their more liberal viewpoints.

Which makes me think Trump is the symptom rather than the main cause of the problem in America. Yeh, 63 million voted for him in 2016 and there will still be a sizeable portion of the electorate who will still vote for him and the GOP regardless of his handling of Covid. As an outsider looking to the goldfish bowl that is American politics, I am absolutely baffled that he could be allowed to get away with it and that they would still endorse him despite what he has done this year. Trump doesn't stand for anything, but himself.

My trips to America - I love going there on holiday, but would never consider actually living there. One memory that sticks out in my mind was when I was on a Trek America tour back in the early 00's - a tour of the east coast of america. We'd just left Washington DC and our tour leader wanted to stop off for supplies at the local supermarket. Our tour group was mainly made up of brits, one Irishman me and a Korean girl. We were the only non-white/non black people in this supermarket. All staff, other shoppers were black and just stared at us when we walked through the supermarket. Just felt totally out place, like we were aliens. Just reminded me how America is just still so segregated on racial lines. Has America really changed in 20 years since then? Or are such neighborhoods still very common like this?

I have been to the west coast, Florida and NYC. But still to visit the deep South, mid-West states. The very conservative, republican, and deeply religious sections of America, and let's face it more likely to be racist, who react well to the Trump dog whistles. The white, non-college-educated electorate in those States, I would think will still be very pro-Trump and turn out to vote. That added to the old, conservatives, as you say will always back Republican, which is why, sadly, Trump can still win.

Which makes me think Trump is the symptom rather than the main cause of the problem in America. Yeh, 63 million voted for him in 2016 and there will still be a sizeable portion of the electorate who will still vote for him and the GOP regardless of his handling of Covid. As an outsider looking to the goldfish bowl that is American politics, I am absolutely baffled that he could be allowed to get away with it and that they would still endorse him despite what he has done this year. Trump doesn't stand for anything, but himself.

My trips to America - I love going there on holiday, but would never consider actually living there. One memory that sticks out in my mind was when I was on a Trek America tour back in the early 00's - a tour of the east coast of america. We'd just left Washington DC and our tour leader wanted to stop off for supplies at the local supermarket. Our tour group was mainly made up of brits, one Irishman me and a Korean girl. We were the only non-white/non black people in this supermarket. All staff, other shoppers were black and just stared at us when we walked through the supermarket. Just felt totally out place, like we were aliens. Just reminded me how America is just still so segregated on racial lines. Has America really changed in 20 years since then? Or are such neighborhoods still very common like this?

I have been to the west coast, Florida and NYC. But still to visit the deep South, mid-West states. The very conservative, republican, and deeply religious sections of America, and let's face it more likely to be racist, who react well to the Trump dog whistles. The white, non-college-educated electorate in those States, I would think will still be very pro-Trump and turn out to vote. That added to the old, conservatives, as you say will always back Republican, which is why, sadly, Trump can still win.

Well that. And the fact that he's running against Biden. A guy who doesn't really impress me more than Trump. Rather go with the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Old guy vs. Older guy

Well that. And the fact that he's running against Biden. A guy who doesn't really impress me more than Trump. Rather go with the devil you know than the devil you don't.

Old guy vs. Older guy

The thing is in this election they are both the devil you know. People need to think how did the Obama years stack up against the Trump years and try to be even slightly objective about it. There is no way people can say Trump has done a better job. He has had 2 major crises since taking office (Puerto Rico and Covid) and handled both awfully. He has also presided over the Russian interference in US elections, the enabling of dictators worldwide, the destruction of the Iran deal, pulling out of the global climate accords, not caring about bounties being placed on US troops, the hasty withdrawal from the middle east of US troops followed by a half U-turn, the biggest polarisation in recent US history, a massive upturn in violence, the mass incarceration and separation of families... What happened when Biden was VP under Obama? The 2 just can't compare.

Trump is a symptom of a large segment of the US population who are extremely hateful against anyone not in their group and who really don't care for any policies except those that harm those who they feel need to be harmed. None of Trumps policies have been done with a net-gain mindset, they have always been about harming someone else or trying to gain at someone else's expense. You've had Trump supporters openly state they don't care about if their lives are worse as long as they feel they have dragged someone else down with them that they don't like. Trump is feeding off this fundamentally destructive mindset that I think has been nourished the past decade in the USA. Even previous Republican administrations were not fuelled by a desire to simply cause harm like Trump's administration is.

I think part of it as well is these people have a tendency to go to more extreme lengths than those they oppose, which is why they are so emboldened. People as a whole simply aren't standing up to them and now it's got so far that they are literally corrupting the entire system to ensure they are not held accountable for anything as they systematically destroy the rule of law. It's getting to the stage where it's going to explode as that will be the only course left.

Old guy vs. Older guy

Which is why it's a shame Cuomo isn't ready yet to run in this election. In four years, if Biden wins this election and Manages to make it through a first term, he could run for a second term, but He'll be 81 by then and even more ancient. By then Kamala may well want to run for POTUS, so possibly a head to head with Cuomo for the Democratic nominee in 2024.

If trump wins, I wonder if he will push for Ivanka to run in 2024? I know it might be a joke now and she has zero experience, but such is the basket case of American politics. Or DJ could try again in 2024, if he loses this one. Priming his base now to whip them up into a frenzy win or lose.

Of course, I am getting too far ahead of myself as this year's election is yet to run. But such is the paucity in American politics right now that these are the two candidates to choose from this November. But I know which one I would prefer to win.

Now a leading Russian opposition blogger has been beaten up... The Russian state is making the bare minimum effort to hide what it is doing.

Well, Yegor is not that popular, definitely wouldn't call him "a leading opposition blogger"..just a blogger, let's say. He and his friends are good,but young and naive boys.
Navalny is not that supported by people neither to be honest. I like his anti-corruption videos though.
Who is really supported by people and a Putin's "rival" now that's Sergei Furgal.
Found an article in English about him:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-53471501
Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Furgal

The former Governor of the Khabarovski krai (region), that rare type of a good politician, he was doing a lot for people but was arrested quite recently. Became incredibly popular and not only in his region but now has supporters everywhere in Russia. There are a lot of protests against his arrest, the most recent was 2 or 3 days ago. It's a bit too long to describe what he did and why he became so popular, just a couple of examples:
- cut the salaries/pensions of all the local officials (including his own salary), sold some local government's property - that money went to the local budget
- made Khabarovski krai rich enough to be quite independent from the Moscow government
- contributed a lot to the local schools, hospitals etc
- became too popular in comparison of all the United Russia party candidates (our leading party)
Etc etc etc
I like him ^^

The thing is in this election they are both the devil you know. People need to think how did the Obama years stack up against the Trump years and try to be even slightly objective about it. There is no way people can say Trump has done a better job. He has had 2 major crises since taking office (Puerto Rico and Covid) and handled both awfully. He has also presided over the Russian interference in US elections, the enabling of dictators worldwide, the destruction of the Iran deal, pulling out of the global climate accords, not caring about bounties being placed on US troops, the hasty withdrawal from the middle east of US troops followed by a half U-turn, the biggest polarisation in recent US history, a massive upturn in violence, the mass incarceration and separation of families... What happened when Biden was VP under Obama? The 2 just can't compare.

Trump is a symptom of a large segment of the US population who are extremely hateful against anyone not in their group and who really don't care for any policies except those that harm those who they feel need to be harmed. None of Trumps policies have been done with a net-gain mindset, they have always been about harming someone else or trying to gain at someone else's expense. You've had Trump supporters openly state they don't care about if their lives are worse as long as they feel they have dragged someone else down with them that they don't like. Trump is feeding off this fundamentally destructive mindset that I think has been nourished the past decade in the USA. Even previous Republican administrations were not fuelled by a desire to simply cause harm like Trump's administration is.

I think part of it as well is these people have a tendency to go to more extreme lengths than those they oppose, which is why they are so emboldened. People as a whole simply aren't standing up to them and now it's got so far that they are literally corrupting the entire system to ensure they are not held accountable for anything as they systematically destroy the rule of law. It's getting to the stage where it's going to explode as that will be the only course left.

In fairness. Many presidents handled the COVID-19 crises badly. And I think South Africa's president did a much worse job than Trump. It's an unprecedented (or should I say unpresidented) situation, and overall there hasn't been many positive feedback as to how government handled the situation.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't think Obama did a good job during his tenure as president. Apart from Obamacare, there isn't much I can remember that stood out as big improvements, and the american economy suffered under his rule. Trump has improved their economy immensely since then, and did make a lot of things better since Obama's rule.

But America has a tendency to repeat mistakes when it comes to presidents and having turmoil and devisiveness, it happened under Bush, Clinton, & Nixon to name just a few. It's not like some of these issues are brand new and some of them aren't just Trump and his administration's fault. The racial biasness has been there a very long time, nothing new. Police Brutality has been there since I can remember. the KKK is not a new organisation.

Yes, there are things taken to a more extreme level, but again, that's an overall issue not just a trump issue. I guess, me living in South Africa who are used to violent protests, riots and racism on both spectrums, huge unemployment figures, poor infrastructure, corruption, and political grandstanding, don't see things as others do in other countries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts