• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup it doesn't actually suspend campaigning either, if you live in a marginal you probably got leaflets today and if you've been canvassed and they have your information they might ring you or knock on your door.

But aye OFCOM rules only apply to traditional 'forms' of broadcast communication.

Personally I like no politics days and people just encouraging people to vote. Then JJ Abrams opened his gob....

We had leaflets today via postie and also canvassed by one of the lib dem minions. Strange thing was our labour candidate coming in for some gum and she never said a word apart from thank you. Had a lovely rosette though.

What happens if BoJo loses his constituency but the Tories win?
Presumably the PM has to be an MP - so new PM?

Actually no. They did a bit about if Farage actually won as he's not standing and so he would be PM in Downing Street, but have no right to enter the house of commons and put for legislature. Effectively he would be a bit like a board chairman or something symbolic and while he may make decisions about Tory policy, he would have no power to implement it himself.

Also just voted Green in my Ultra safe Tory seat. No.43 in terms of voting percentage for Tory last time (or 46, I can't remember exactly) with 62% of the vote share, been Tory every election since 1974 when it was created. Absolutely no point me voting tactically, so might as well vote for the party I agree with most.

I have no interest in discussing South African politics with you. I engaged on this thread for a specific reason and this doesn't form part of it.

Okay. I can respect that...

If you didn't accuse others of living in an echo chamber. :p

Whatever the result, it's not the end of the world. Calm heads and all that jazz. I'm very interested in politics and am braced for great disappointment, but in the grand scheme of things if you are fortunate enough to have your health and a job (and don't live near a riverbed); then the ability of a politician to ruin your life is more limited than you might fear. If you dont meet that criteria then even then it will probably take over a decade for the NHS to be fundamentally undermined and for labour rights to be shredded. It is not going to be 'end of days' on day one.

Pretty Baltic up here, which will not help the SNP or Labour (who benefit from higher turnouts and more casual voters). Think Tories will get 10+ seats up here, which alone will probably give them a UK majority. 50% of talk is bizarrely about indyref, 50% is about SNP killing children and 0% is about Brexit, its consequences and how NI is getting a superior arrangement to Scotland (if we take Boris's words about no additional bureaucracy at face value). The Brexit election where the media up here will not mention the 'B' word.

It looks like Corbyn has done it again to some extent, Labour up about 12-14 points on when the election was announced. But it will be from a lower base than last time due to the kicking his character has taken and his generally lack of modern day political savvy. It is also in large part due to the extremely ordinary Lib Dem leader Swinson, who has lost about 11 points in the same period.

Anyway, thanks for your observations in the lead up to the election, whatever your political persuasion.

To put things in perspective Israel are going for their third election in a year in March next year.

Last edited:
Crazy to think that my constituency has been labour since 1922, but now looking like it could well go Tory.

So polls closing in 4 mins and the first exit poll is due.

On course for Conservative majority of 86.:(

Corbyn to resign tomorrow. Labour predicted to be on 191.

SNP - 55 seats

LD - 13 seats.

WOW

Honestly thought the early exit polls might have been tighter.

Genuinely Corybn and momentum caused this.
The reality is pretty much any one other than them would most likely have won or caused hung.

Wow Labour completely smashed in this election. On course to lose 71 seats. Absolute disaster for Labour.

The loss of Labour seats are clearly in Leave areas.

What else could Labour have done to keep those votes though?

Interested to see the young people turnout.

A lot of talk about the youth coming out to vote on Twitter and FB.
But I would very much like to see those results.

27AYo1Aav8w7.gif

The loss of Labour seats are clearly in Leave areas.

What else could Labour have done to keep those votes though?

TBH he could've canvased them more.

I only just realised last week I live in one of the big marginals (Labour since Labour was formed), area voted Brexit.
No canvassing by anyone big from labour, main targetted canvassing was students.

Hilarity is that poor people in the north of England think that the Tory's have their best interests at heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts