• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question is Newsnight not governed by impartiality rules? I appreciate I agree entirely with her sentiment but this does feel like overstepping it a little.

Ask the same question of Laura Kuenssberg.

Furthermore, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that introduction. If you did a transcript of it, you'd see its all fairly accurate observations.

About the only thing you could level at them was "blind loyalty"... and its not something most would disagree with right now.

Ask the same question of Laura Kuenssberg.

Furthermore, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that introduction. If you did a transcript of it, you'd see its all fairly accurate observations.

About the only thing you could level at them was "blind loyalty"... and its not something most would disagree with right now.
Kunnesberg is a completely different kettle of fish and problems. As afr as I can tell Kunnersberg has been trapped by her best source of information which are important to journalists being Cummings himself or an intermediary. For a long time shes just paroted what she's been told and its massively compromised her as if she even begins to comment on the belivability of those statements that source will immediately dry up. Its bloody mess.

On Matlis who I belive to a superb journalist who rightly said what we are all thinking and assessments of the facts that Cummings laid out. The reality is breaking of lockdown guidelines is in dispute and the police have not issued any form of warning. I belive they should and I do think Matlis has done anything wrong. However is very unlike the BBC to be that strong in wording or even clearly dispute claims made major political parties.

As far as I'm concerned it should continue, blatant lies should be called out for what they are. The BBC appraoch to impartiality for a long time has lended credence to falsehoods that were not called out.

Not sure the Tories are aware that saying they will now review the cases of people who were fined for instances involving childcare is just an admission that it IS one rule for Cummings and another for everyone else. After all if it wasn't, they wouldn't need to change anything. This government is sickening in their contempt for the British people. They are now all telling us to "move on" so they can "get Coronavirus done". No you arrogant fuckers, you don't get to decide when this goes away and you certainly can't claim you want to sort out the coronavirus response when you are holding people to different standards. How can anyone trust anything these slimy creeps say.

I don't much like PMQs but I might tune in to the next one as I'd love to see Johnson get torn a new one over this.

Not sure the Tories are aware that saying they will now review the cases of people who were fined for instances involving childcare is just an admission that it IS one rule for Cummings and another for everyone else. After all if it wasn't, they wouldn't need to change anything. This government is sickening in their contempt for the British people. They are now all telling us to "move on" so they can "get Coronavirus done". No you arrogant fuckers, you don't get to decide when this goes away and you certainly can't claim you want to sort out the coronavirus response when you are holding people to different standards. How can anyone trust anything these slimy creeps say.

I don't much like PMQs but I might tune in to the next one as I'd love to see Johnson get torn a new one over this.
They are not reviewing it anymore Hancock got caught a cropper by a Vicar at the briefing yesterday but within an hour they said they wouldn't.

It's possibly the first good decision they've made over this even if Dom is still in a job.

Sadly the we have to move on we need to concentrate on the crisis at hand is having traction. TBH long term that will do far more damage because people will not forget this and they will get punished for it.

This will be over by PMQs next week sadly one way or another and Starmer would probably be foolish to raise it.

Johnson is going up against the Commons Select Committee at 4pm today which might be interesting.

Here's a quick list of big unanswered questions that I can think of.

1. Is it now legal to drive 30 miles to test your eyesight?
2. If people were always allowed to exercise their judgement for childcare, why are fines no longer being reviewed?
3. The guidance clearly said to contact local authority and that travelling to second homes or for family support was not allowed, therefore how did Cummings not break the rules?
4. Why did he lie about his blog when it was edited in April this year?

Any others?

Kunnesberg is a completely different kettle of fish and problems. As afr as I can tell Kunnersberg has been trapped by her best source of information which are important to journalists being Cummings himself or an intermediary. For a long time shes just paroted what she's been told and its massively compromised her as if she even begins to comment on the belivability of those statements that source will immediately dry up. Its bloody mess.

Kuenssberg somehow doesn't seem to, or want to, realise that the Tory PR office need her to get their word out.

They stop giving her info and they surrender control of information flow as she can go elsewhere. So she can be as damning as she wants.

I assume she is bright enough to understanding who needs who - IMO no excuse for BBC having a lazy "journalist" as political editor. If she isn't willing to cross-confirm her sources and challenge the veracity of the message, then IMO she should be relieved of her role. Otherwise the BBC could employ an intern "in the same job" forwarding on the Tory PR office messages and save a substantial amount of cash.

However is very unlike the BBC to be that strong in wording or even clearly dispute claims made major political parties.

As far as I'm concerned it should continue, blatant lies should be called out for what they are. The BBC appraoch to impartiality for a long time has lended credence to falsehoods that were not called out.

Agreed. Long past time the BBC (and the rest) - started getting far more robust in tackling the stream of lies coming out of Westminster. This is not a new thing, its long been a problem, but it does appear to be getting worse.

Channel 4 has been about the only ones willing to hold their feet to the fire.

Johnson's election promise - 40 new hospitals. Reality - 6 rebuilds of ones currently crumbling and cursory sketches (literally) of plans for 21 more. Now, given reality became clear a day or two after the bluster - why was he not repeatedly raked over the coals until the "40 new hospitals" promise was withdrawn and admitted as wrong?

Sadly the we have to move on we need to concentrate on the crisis at hand is having traction. TBH long term that will do far more damage because people will not forget this and they will get punished for it.

Ah, I dunno if there will be moving on.

Any measures the govt try and impose that the public disagree with now will always have the question of "if they aren't doing it themselves, why should I do it?"

Kuenssberg is fundamentally a news reporter and should therefore present the facts. She mainly tells us the "what".

Maitlis leads an analysis programme looking for the "why". That gives her a little more licence and as long as she's equally bolshy with everyone that's fine by me. If something's a steaming pile of manure a journalist looks pretty stupid for saying otherwise.

Kuenssberg is fundamentally a news reporter and should therefore present the facts. She mainly tells us the whatever the Conservative Press Office wants us to hear.

I agree with the premise, but a bit of emphasis and correction added!

The death of George Floyd in Minneapolis is shocking. The cops involved have already been fired, but surely criminal charges will follow.

Until serious charges, i.e. murder, are passed down to some of these "officers" (and similar in other cases) - then the message won't sink in.

The police are not above the law and they must use reasonable force at all times. The f**king yank police think they are in 'Nam arresting Charlie every time they go to do something.

I took a "suing the government" class in law school and under federal law cops are essentially above the law. They have to act so abhorrently in order to be found liable in civil court (just getting to court is an issue with the immunity they have).

idk what Minnesota state law is regarding this but I doubt it's victim friendly.

meanwhile, Hong Kong is just depressing. Seeing your freedom gradually disappear (and knowing the finite fate it disappears), I don't have words to describe it.

Although some people commenting have clear never heard of "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." currently the story is about the public and backbench MPs being angry about it. Keir speaking up doesn't draw attention to the story or hypocrisy of the government it turn attention to him.

There are doing a fine job hanging themselves you don't to hand them the noose.

Johnson doing the best he can to avoid giving an answer about Cummings and the stupid **** saying "what the public want is on uniting a message and explaining carefully what needs to be done next to get us through this epidemic"

You tone-deaf lying piece of ****. No the public want you to get rid of your puppet master. He sits there saying "get the message right" you ******* stupid **** the message that you don't follow yourselves!? Someone just punch this arsehole.

Yet all unfortunately irrelevant.

He has far too great a majority in parliament to be seriously hurt. [Unless enough Tory MPs think they can form an alternative government without him. But that would require a new Tory leadership contest too.]

It'll almost certainly mean no reelection for him - but then again I am continually amazed at the stupidity of the average person*.

*and by definition, half of folks are even stupider than that!!

Yet all unfortunately irrelevant.

He has far too great a majority in parliament to be seriously hurt. [Unless enough Tory MPs think they can form an alternative government without him. But that would require a new Tory leadership contest too.]

It'll almost certainly mean no reelection for him - but then again I am continually amazed at the stupidity of the average person*.

*and by definition, half of folks are even stupider than that!!

I can't see him going for a second full 5 year term to be honest...

A Sunak premiership or another very different face to Boris could distance themselves enough from bojo and Cummings to still win healthily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts