• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n...ts-ad-platform-over-protest-articles-n1231176

Google is seriously going to regret doing this. The mob is not going to stop now that blood is in the water.

YouTube's own comments section is a dumpster fire and it is also direct competition to other forms of media, adding to this is it specifically targeted right leaning political websites. They've painted themselves into a corner.

Sadly yes. Thankfully the electorate saw through him and his cult of momentum supporters. But underneath Brexit Labour were losing their core support since Brown left office. The working class in particular and once that went WTF have Labour got?

It wasn't hard to see past Momentum supporters they were a serious part of the toxic culture of the Labour party. Quite appalling behavior from anyone who disagreed with them even slightly. One of Corbyn's many faults was not that he seamed to instigate this stuff but the fact he seamed to just let it happen.

One of the things in that report that was of note is they acknowledge Scotland is key to them winning maybe they'll learn its time to work with other progressive parties?

That Momentum podcast in December before the election was hilarious and summed up their and Corbyn's delusions " I present to you the next PM of the UK". Can't find it anymore on YouTube because they've probably removed it. But celebrating because they genuinely thought Labour were going to win? And also having 1400 viewing it live and being proud of it???!!:confused:

Edit: they didn't. Watching it is still comedy gold.:p

Last edited:
It wasn't hard to see past Momentum supporters they were a serious part of the toxic culture of the Labour party. Quite appalling behavior from anyone who disagreed with them even slightly. One of Corbyn's many faults was not that he seamed to instigate this stuff but the fact he seamed to just let it happen.

One of the things in that report that was of note is they acknowledge Scotland is key to them winning maybe they'll learn its time to work with other progressive parties?

I hope you don't mean the SNP? That lot have been ******* us in Scotland for years and taking no responsibility for any of it.

The greens are basically in the pocket of the SNP at this point.

Leaving only the Lib-Dems to really work with...

To be honest, i would be fully supportive of a non-agression pact between the Tories and Labour in Scotland in some constituencies

I hope you don't mean the SNP? That lot have been ******* us in Scotland for years and taking no responsibility for any of it.

The greens are basically in the pocket of the SNP at this point.

Leaving only the Lib-Dems to really work with...

To be honest, i would be fully supportive of a non-agression pact between the Tories and Labour in Scotland in some constituencies

I've heard this about the SNP from several people living in Scotland, but never got told the specific reasons.

From the outside the SNP look like a good party, but that might be because of the rubbish in Northern Ireland.

What have the SNP been doing that's so bad?

Read about it, but that is absolutely disgusting from Trump. And why I hate what he stands for when he shouts about fake news, when he is doing exactly the same and worse.
I can't even decide if its deliberate campaign to stop actual fake news by presenting it. It feel likes fuel for the culture war so his smart defenders can say that. Some can decide oh all CNN is fake news who pay no attention. And just get people angry at him.

It feels like actually a brilliant piece of propaganda that fuels his base exactly as he wants it. I'd be amazed if he came up with it himself.

I can't even decide if its deliberate campaign to stop actual fake news by presenting it. It feel likes fuel for the culture war so his smart defenders can say that. Some can decide oh all CNN is fake news who pay no attention. And just get people angry at him.

It feels like actually a brilliant piece of propaganda that fuels his base exactly as he wants it. I'd be amazed if he came up with it himself.

yes, that too. But Trump letting it happen so he's responsible ultimately what is posted on his twitter feed. Stirring up/appealing to his support base and also causing outrage amongst his detractors is classic Trump playbook. I kick myself each time I fall for it. He's dragged anyone down who is interested in US politics to his pathetic level.

Last edited:
I've heard this about the SNP from several people living in Scotland, but never got told the specific reasons.

From the outside the SNP look like a good party, but that might be because of the rubbish in Northern Ireland.

What have the SNP been doing that's so bad?
Don't get me started lol

Firstly, on the NHS (which the SNP are responsible for but seem to conveniently forget and blame westminster)

• 2 of the 8 waiting time targets have been hit,
  • AndE targets missed,
  • 2 month cancer target missed,
  • water contamination in a glasgow hospital (apparently because of bird ****) has lead to the deaths of children
  • new edinburgh hospital is 8 years behind schedule and counting,
  • worst drug addiction problem in europe,
  • drug treatment funding cut by 15million
  • The target for 95 per cent of A&E patients to either be seen, transferred or discharged within four hours has not been met for over two years.
  • The gap in premature mortality rates between deprived areas and affluent areas has increased to its highest point since 2008.

On Education:

• after nearly a decade of Curriculum for Excellence (CfE), Scotland has plunged down the global rankings on maths and science, and merely made up lost ground on reading yet Kirsty Blackman (deputy leader of the SNP group in the Commons) laimed in a BBC interview that the PISA results for maths and science were 'stable'.
  • number of pupils achieving grades A to C fell by as much as 10 percent on last year (and has been consistently falling)
  • Test results from the last academic year showed 1,515 fewer pupils passed their Higher English exam.
  • In Higher maths, the pass rate fell by 2.1 percent
  • For students studying Higher history, the pass rate plummeted by 14.6 percent overall
  • Scottish Trade unions reported that just 26.2% of school reps agreed that a £120m-a-year fund has raised attainment for disadvantaged children
  • Students from down south have a better chance of being offered a university place in Scotland than those based in Scotland.

On Intimidation of journatists and media:

• Sets a dangerous precedent where a journalist risks doing political analysis of the days events because politicians might encourage their lambastation on twitter.
  • Absolutely have the right to self defence, but given the criticism of the SNP and their relationship with the media and intimidation in the past (2014 Indy) the FM should have known better
  • "Ms Smith was suggesting the First Minister was enjoying, or embracing, the political elements of the crisis, not the personal consequences for the victims, and it was unfair of Ms Sturgeon to suggest otherwise with talk of loved ones and broken hearts"
  • Stephen Daisley STV was digital politics and comment editor before he left in 2019. In 2016, it is alleged that at an STV briefing in westminster, Pete Wishart and John Nicolson had "hijacked" the proceedings and launched an "ugly" denunciation of him, Wishart then began attacking him on social media. STV removed him from his post saying ""We can't afford to have a member of the Culture, Media and Sport Committee complaining about us."
  • When Alex Salmond stood down as First Minister after his referendum drubbing, the Mail, Express and Telegraph were banned from his final press conference. The Guardian refused to send a correspondent after Salmond's office insisted on choosing which one
  • When the principal of St Andrews University voiced fears about research funding after independence, Alex Salmond's spin doctors drafted a retraction praising the SNP government and demanded she sign it. The then First Minister even telephoned the academic and treated her to a "loud and heated" call.
  • SNP minister Shona Robison complained to Dundee University when a respected history professor spoke at a Better Together event
  • Mr Nicolson asked bosses at Birbeck College to give a psychology lecturer "a little extra marking" after she criticised him on Twitter.
  • The times also reported that at least years GE, the SNP circulated an email to journalists north and south of the border giving instructions on how to interview the tories… think about that.

There's obviously more including crumbling police stations, the idiocy of scottish idependence (mainly in regards to building their vote off of a disdain for austerity before forming an indy country with one of the highests deficits in the world) and repeated intimidation of journalists.

Obviously over Coronavirus in Scotland:

On JUST THE NIKE CONFERENCE:
  • On March 5, the local Chronicle paper in the NE of england reported a patient worked for Nike in Sunderland and contracted the virus after attending a conference in Edinburgh and then passed it to a child. This could have been avoided
  • Knew about an outbreak just days before the Sco vs France game
  • It was also claimed a digital marketing business in Glasgow that shares space with Nike were not told about the link.
  • It's reported that 20 Lloyds Banking Group employees who shared facilities with Nike were not traced.
  • Labour MP Ian Murray has echoed this why did the scottish gov not inform Cobra about the nike conference? The same scottish gov which complained about not being in the loop?!?!

• Testing has been a shambles in Scotland, but the SNP refuse to take responsibiliy for it:
  • It was revealed by the courier that Jeane Freeman has failed on multiple occasions to identify how many people have been contact traced and has repeatedly just given holding answers… giving 12 to Niel Findlay in one day!
  • They failed to even contact the wife of scotland's first corona death, how can there be any faith then that they contacted anyone at all?
  • Failure to contact the guides at the Nike conference?
  • At least four companies with workers who came into close contact with delegates have reported they were not told about the February outbreak, which is thought to be Scotland's Covid-19 'ground zero'. (courier)
  • Furthermore, that although FM said that 'test, trace and isolate' would begin by the end of may, only 660 of 2000 staff were in role that 20,000 people applied for and Freeman has said that the website wouldn't even be up and running until next month most likely. The excuse was "we don't even need them anyway"...

I know that was a longun, but the main crux of it is that the SNP just repeatedly **** **** up really badly but somehow blame westminster for it. They are single handedly the most divisive actor in scotland since the turn of the 21st century.

It's a whole "progressive" rhetoric for a brighter scotland, but they haven't achieved that in the 12 years or so they've been in charge and have failed an entire generation of childeren and other vulnerable people.

the idiocy of scottish idependence (mainly in regards to building their vote off of a disdain for austerity before forming an indy country with one of the highests deficits in the world) and repeated intimidation of journalists.

Good post overall with a lot of info I didn't know about the SNP's inabilities. This part threw me though. Firstly criticising the SNP whose raison d'etre is Scottish independence as idiocy is a sign of the bias you have against them. Not that there's anything wrong with bias in politics but I just don't see how in the current climate Scottish independence is a bad idea, or at least worst than their current path to be a country with all the outlined problems re education and health in an instable post Brexit UK, a country which has always thought London first and the rest later.

Becoming an independent nation is an extremely difficult thing to do and I doubt Scotland would do it right because generally it requires the party who led the campaign for independence to step aside as they're not fit to lead only oppose but Scotland has incredible potential to thrive in the EU more than they would in the UK. They'll have the second and third largest English speaking cities in the EU which is incredibly attractive for multi nationals to establish themselves as Dublin is currently seeing with two consecutive years where mergers and acquisitions have been at all time highs, and multiple respected universities will compliment this. A significant portion of the population are in the agri sector and would be far better served by the EU. And of the problems you mentioned they'd have serious leverage in the EU to get the necessary grants to fix that as both parties will be keen on showing the rest of the Union that you're better off in than out of the EU.

The austerity/deficit argument is a bit of a red herring here, it's a problem either way. History has always shown that without some strong leverage over the ruling government, which Scotland don't have, you're better ruling yourself because otherwise your country will never be prioritised. Problems won't magically go away but having total control over your trade, budget, residency laws etc... and being free to introduce measures to make your country attractive for businesses to incorporate always leads to a better country in the long run.

The question really is whether or not the opportunity to improve the current status quo is there with independence and when I look at Scotland and Westminster I think it's fairly clear that it is, they probably just need a handful of people to step up and deliver down the line.

Good post overall with a lot of info I didn't know about the SNP's inabilities. This part threw me though. Firstly criticising the SNP whose raison d'etre is Scottish independence as idiocy is a sign of the bias you have against them. Not that there's anything wrong with bias in politics but I just don't see how in the current climate Scottish independence is a bad idea, or at least worst than their current path to be a country with all the outlined problems re education and health in an instable post Brexit UK, a country which has always thought London first and the rest later.

Becoming an independent nation is an extremely difficult thing to do and I doubt Scotland would do it right because generally it requires the party who led the campaign for independence to step aside as they're not fit to lead only oppose but Scotland has incredible potential to thrive in the EU more than they would in the UK. They'll have the second and third largest English speaking cities in the EU which is incredibly attractive for multi nationals to establish themselves as Dublin is currently seeing with two consecutive years where mergers and acquisitions have been at all time highs, and multiple respected universities will compliment this. A significant portion of the population are in the agri sector and would be far better served by the EU. And of the problems you mentioned they'd have serious leverage in the EU to get the necessary grants to fix that as both parties will be keen on showing the rest of the Union that you're better off in than out of the EU.

The austerity/deficit argument is a bit of a red herring here, it's a problem either way. History has always shown that without some strong leverage over the ruling government, which Scotland don't have, you're better ruling yourself because otherwise your country will never be prioritised. Problems won't magically go away but having total control over your trade, budget, residency laws etc... and being free to introduce measures to make your country attractive for businesses to incorporate always leads to a better country in the long run.

The question really is whether or not the opportunity to improve the current status quo is there with independence and when I look at Scotland and Westminster I think it's fairly clear that it is, they probably just need a handful of people to step up and deliver down the line.

Yeah I probably should have left that bit out/worded bit better to be honest.

The main issue with the Indy question is that the accusations levelled at the SNP that many of their cornerstone policies are so focused on achieving independence that they have forgotten that they are meant to be running a country at the same time.

I was speaking to a very senior opposition MSP (I'll leave his name out) last week about the SNP reaction to Covid and he mentioned about how the Covid Committee in particular is concerned that the SNP will intentionally torpedo Scottish tourism over the next few months in order to use that as their, "natural resource to be the gem that an Indy Scotland will harness but is currently scuppered by the UK(as oil was last time)".

If the SNP had an interest in lowering tax rates and encouraging immigration and business from England and the rest of the EU then there may be an arguement that an Indy scotland would good for business then it might make more sense in an economic sense but that's not what they intended to do, at least Alex Salmond understood the idea of an optimum point of taxation better than Nicola.

The Barnett formula leaves Scotland recieving the 2nd most money per capita in the UK (with England being last) that would instantly disapear in independence. How is that not being prioritized?

Inc North Sea Oli revenues (which scotland wouldn't have an automatic right to in Indy) they still have a deficit of 7%, which will only be exacerbated by an INDY2 and a per head fiscal deficit of £2,713 (guardian and BBC)

There isn't really a sensical economic arguement (under the current trajectory) for independence, I may be missing one so please correct me if you think I'm missing something?

Also, kind of a weird one, but SNP rhetoric over the last few years (from supporters more often than the leadership) is that they seem to think that independence would mean that the Scottish Conservatives wouldn't exist any more because they're all English invaders or something... I'm not 100% sure why they think that but hey ho.

Also the pound issue?

Basically, to me at least, it's as redicu as the hard Brexit attitude of "well we're proud to be British so **** the EU, economics don't matter"

Basically, to me at least, it's as redicu as the hard Brexit attitude of "well we're proud to be British so **** the EU, economics don't matter"

I guess that's the issue and biggest reason why Independence is closer though.
Either way they are getting that attitude.

(But yes the SNP is pretty shambolic)

I'm a tad confused...
You think that there is more racial discrimination today that there was, say, before the voting rights act of 1965?

1965 was ending of the Jim Crow days.

Last edited:
I can't comment on the 60 or 70s; but I can't believe that the UK is more racist today than the 80s or early 90s. I'd personally need some pretty convincing evidence for that.

Counter examples that need to be negated:
The Black and White Minstrel Show was on the air until 1978; with live shows continuing to 1989!
Roy Chubby Brown, Bernard Manning, Jim Davidson...

When's the last time anyone hear the N word used in a derogatory or even casual manner on British TV?

If we're looking across the Atlantic - were the causes and underlying politics of the LA race riots of '92 really less racist than those behind the BLM protests?

Last edited:
I think racism or racism I have experienced is much more subtle compared to overt racism I have experienced in the 80s/90s Growing up. Racism evolves like anything else we experience in life.

I see it as a spectrum and I don't think you will ever get rid of it entirely because it is grounded in ignorance, and there is a lot of ignorance out there because peeps can't experience another's life through their eyes or just don't care because they are so wrapped up in their own lives and only care for themselves or if it affects them directly or their loved ones indirectly.

There is only so much compassion one has for their fellow human being. It's just how we are each built. Some more compassionate than others naturally.

But I think racism and discrimination at any level is also inherently within our differences as human beings and the competition aspect and need to identify within groups or feeling better/secure within your social/ethnic groups.

Now systematic racism- that is the issue. But institutions are made up of people/humans at the end of day and subject to flaws regardless of strict rules and regulations.

If it's not racial discrimination then it's class discrimination and that is just largely based on capitalism and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts