• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A return to England for Varndell?

I wasn't sure about Vainikolo at first, but he's proved me wrong. So maybe Varndell can do the same? [/b]

Seriously, no he can't he's crap. Only the same idiots brigade who think Sackey is doing a good job for England will welcome Varndell.

Although I agree with you that Varn will probably go the way of Cipriani, it might be an idea just to give him a shot in a normal test. Plus I think Sackey could improve, but he should stay on the England squad for now.

Varndell doesn't do it for me! Chambers should have come to union..Try tackling him! He's wasted in league!

Yes. Obviously Sackey and Strettle are shoe-ins when fit. But Strettle is never fit, and while I think Vainikolo is promising and should definitely be around the England setup, why not try out another winger??? f*** knows we've got talented young wings pouring out of our ears, just look at Varndell and Noah Cato, the Arscotts, Topsy Ojo, Richard Haughton etc. who I reckon would all do a nice job for England. Not to mention the likes of Cueto and Voyce who are both very competent wings if not that exciting.

With regards to Varndell, we all know he's probably the quickest guy in Europe. He's also scored a hatful of tries for Leicester. And he's spent a year or two learning the game. Remember when he came on the scene a couple of years ago? Since then he's put in the hard work on loan and now in the Leicester 1st team and basically he's vastly improved. Just think, everyone questioned Sackey a year ago and now I'd say he's a shoe in for the Lions.

Seriously, no he can't he's crap. Only the same idiots brigade who think Sackey is doing a good job for England will welcome Varndell.[/b]

whistle.gif

<div class='quotemain'> Seriously, no he can't he's crap. Only the same idiots brigade who think Sackey is doing a good job for England will welcome Varndell.[/b]

whistle.gif

[/b][/quote]

hem hem... what more do you want sackey do do for england?? what makes a winger good?

1. finishing. sackey ticks that box. 60+ club tries, 8 for england. varndell has 58 club tries & 2 for england in 3 caps.

2. running fast. both are up there with the world's fastest wingers.

3. defence. well, I saw sackey cope admirably with an in-form alesana tuilagi at the heineken cup final last year. his defence is good, I don't think you can criticise him for not preventing the wales try or other ones when it's been him against a massive overlap. varndell... i haven't seen enough of him but I've heard it's improved.

To be honest, unless you want some form of superhuman I don't think you'll find anyone who'll make a considerable improvement on those stats. Look at some of the world's best wingers - habana, williams, clerc... none of them are known for their defence, all of them score lots of tries and run very fast.

tell me an english wing who isn't going to be a grandad at the next world cup (that counts out lewsey), who fulfils all those categories.

tell me an english wing who isn't going to be a grandad at the next world cup (that counts out lewsey), who fulfils all those categories.
[/b]

James Simpson-Daniel.

I don't dislike Sackey, but the continual overlooking of Sinbad is an absolute crime, the guy oozes class.

a lass at uni got a few quality pics with him at the HK 7's. apparently a sound bloke?

Not sure about Varndell, he's not really developed as a player in the way that Sackey has. Don't think that there is a place for both of them?

Problem with Varndell is that he just has no other element to his game then finishing. That and he's a straight line runner which means he creates **** all tries by himself and he ll go very quiet if he doesnt see the ball much

Problem with Varndell is that he just has no other element to his game then finishing. That and he's a straight line runner which means he creates **** all tries by himself and he ll go very quiet if he doesnt see the ball much
[/b]

i use to think so too, but his chip ahead for the winning try for the tigers to put them in the play-offs was sublime.
his defence seems to have improved as well-can't think of any examples but don't remember him being walked over this season either. he will never be a wilkinson/noon-esque offensive hitter but with his pace etc i think he could be a valuable asset. the pressure him and croft put on off the restart for tigers is pretty special-see varndells try against 'quinns in the earlier premiership game for an example.
having said that i don't think he deserved to go on the plane to NZ though. saxsons is about were he's at this season but seeing how he's improved so far, next year....
(and yes he does need to learn to get more involved)

as for sackey i think hes very solid and a good finisher but lacks the extra spark to set him apart that varndell has in his pace. varndell has the potential to be better but isn't there at the moment. will be intresting to see them against each other in the premership final.

and maddison i'm fairly sure varndell is a fair bit younger than sackey is so he's got plenty of time to improve-sackey himself was a fairly late comer to the england set up

varndell has lightning pace and finishes well but his alll round game is poor. His kicking when under pressure is dreadfull and he is constantly being caught out of position at club level. God knows international rugby needs even greater discipline and awareness than the Prem . If it was 2002 and we had a great England team you could put him in the squad perhaps as a luxury player to bring on in the last half hour with no pressure if he makes mistakes but our team at the moment is not at that standard yet.

Anybody see the England Saxons game yesterday? Portugal?
He was pretty decent there ive got to say his foot work is immense lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 31 2009, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Portugal is hardly a good indication of a players international credentials.[/b]
BUT if you saw the way varndell got into the space also recieved the ball often it was a pretty decent effort :)
I think i'd rather have Sacky and N Cato though tbh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 31 2009, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Portugal is hardly a good indication of a players international credentials.[/b]

Correct.

Plus, Varndell I don't think would be a bad winger to have around as a backup because he is quick and scores tries. But let's have a list of potential England wingers who, like Varndell, are really quick and score tries:

Sackey
Monye
Ojo
Strettle
Simpson-Daniel

I'd say Varndell is behind all of them because his defence and all-round play isn't up to scratch. With the possible exception of Monye, all those guys make their tackles, and all of them know how to position themselves to field kicks.

I've ignored the likes of Banahan and Cueto because they're good in other areas, but not for their scintillating speed. And I've ignored the two biggest young speedster talents.. Benjamin and Cato.

Wow, the Portugal game was one of the worst I've ever seen. You might aswell call Harry Ellis international standard based on that. Well, he was crap anyway...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (englandfan @ Nov 28 2007, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What are everyones thoughts towards a return to England for Varndell???[/b]
Eh England FAn great question i think he would be a great addition him at leicester is amazing so i dnt see the problem with him at england
Cheers

Latest posts