Abolish penalty kicks at goal and introduce a White Card

Umaga's Witness

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
I think we should just abolish penalty kicks at goal.

Yes I'm serious. Penalty kicks were always designed as a disincentive to infringe, but it doesn't work because the rules are so difficult that with human players and refs even the best coached teams accidentally infringe and even the best refs make bad calls. this shouldn't ost 3 points. Sure, we still want to discourage foul play, and without penalty kicks (at goal) players would be tempted to infringe at parts of the field where the opposition team would get little advantage from a kick for touch, so here is my suggestion:

Keep penalty options as they are (except for no penalty kicks at goal) but if the opposition concedes a penalty within their 40m line then the penalised player receives a white card. This means that player must leave the field and cannot reenter until the first stoppage in play AFTER his team has won back possession.

I think we should just abolish penalty kicks at goal.

Yes I'm serious. Penalty kicks were always designed as a disincentive to infringe, but it doesn't work because the rules are so difficult that with human players and refs even the best coached teams accidentally infringe and even the best refs make bad calls. this shouldn't ost 3 points. Sure, we still want to discourage foul play, and without penalty kicks (at goal) players would be tempted to infringe at parts of the field where the opposition team would get little advantage from a kick for touch, so here is my suggestion:

Keep penalty options as they are (except for no penalty kicks at goal) but if the opposition concedes a penalty within their 40m line then the penalised player receives a white card. This means that player must leave the field and cannot reenter until the first stoppage in play AFTER his team has won back possession.

Biggest drawback is that without that possible 3-point penalty for infringement hanging over their heads, there will be more infringements. It's just a given - 3 points vs. a couple-minute send-off? I've seen tries scored when the attacking team is down a man, so white-carding a guy and sending him off for what may only be a matter of seconds won't be nearly as effective as the threat of a penalty kick. Games have been won on those 3 points, so I do think [most] players are keenly aware of just how important it is not to be a total jerkoff in front of their posts.

das

You've been talking to sige haven't you...
hehe no I came up with this idea with my brother a while back, but it was the respect Sige has received for his 'outside the box' ideas on this forum which motivated me to share :)

Ok so "Reply with Quote" isn't working for me, it just tries forever and never gets there.

Sifplay:
"Go watch rugby league or Sevens then"

No. the reason fifteen a side rugby is better than sevens or league isn't because it is littered with penalty goal kicks. It's not because of the randomness this provides (yes I realise that randomness is one of the biggest reasons why football is the world's most popular sport, but I believe the randomness provided by penalty goal kicks is a worse kind of randomness, in that footballs randomness can be prevented as a great team playing a crap team will almost never randomly lose, nor even randomly fail to score many goals, nor even randomly let goals in.

Yet in rugby, due to the nature of the rules and the fact that both players and refs are human, the random element of penalties will always remain no matter how good the refs and players get at abiding by the rules because they are constrained by human limitations. Thus, consigning ourselves to this we must realise that the disincentive a penalty kick at goal provides is insufficient, and we must do as much as we can to prevent the randomness affecting teh final outcome.

I believe my suggestion helps in this way. I believe the disincentive remains but the effect of the randomness is lessened) it's because of the fact that different styles of play can compete against each other, the fact that there is a lot of strategy, the fact that teams build momentum (by going through the phases, drawing opposition into the rucks and mixing up their attack/phases until the opposition's defense is disorganised and holes appear or an overlap is achieved) thereby providing increasing tension and excitement for the spectator, the fact that a range of body types all have their place, the fact that a range of playing styles (across different player positions) all have their place, teh fact is is a great team game, and the fact that so much comes down to the attitudes of the players. And it's also not because watching penalty kicks is more exciting than the rest of the game. It isn't.

So, if you still don't agree with me, I would be fascinated to know why you think the current form of the game is a better game.

Apologies for teh lack of paragraphs in the previous post. Most functions in this forum aren't working for me at the moment so i will edit it once the forum allows me to do so.

DasnDanger said:
Biggest drawback is that without that possible 3-point penalty for infringement hanging over their heads, there will be more infringements. It's just a given - 3 points vs. a couple-minute send-off? I've seen tries scored when the attacking team is down a man, so white-carding a guy and sending him off for what may only be a matter of seconds won't be nearly as effective as the threat of a penalty kick. Games have been won on those 3 points, so I do think [most] players are keenly aware of just how important it is not to be a total jerkoff in front of their posts. das

Thanks for a serious response. Now, first of all, I don't believe there will be more infringements. I believe a large chunk of infringements at the moment, from a players perspective, are accidental; either completely accidental - in that the ref made a wrong call or the player forgot the law, or partially accidental - in that the player for instance tried to go through the gate but just missed, the player kinda tried to keep his feet, the player kinda tried to bind at a ruck, the player kinda tried to roll away, etc. Lots of points are being awarded and games won or lost due to completely accidental infringements. My suggestion rectifies this problem.

Now you are obviously concerned that these partially accidental penalties will rise, as players become more careless, and/or that deliberate infringements will rise. And there is already a law in place for deliberate infringements. It is called a yellow card. If the partially accidental infringements rise this just means that they are moving toward the deliberate end of the spectrum, risking yellow cards. So they can't rise too much, and if they do the problem is easily rectified by referees being more vigilant with yellow cards. In fact, players are already pushing the limit of deliberateness in their partially accidental penalties, teh limit being that threshold where they get a yellow card. Thus a rise in the degree of deliberateness in a given infringement is unlikely. The main concern is whether the volume of these partially accidental penalties will rise.

Well a White Card is still a big disincentive, as defending with 14 men is much harder, and it is not as though the defending team can continue to offend, as playing with 13 men is much harder, yet alone 12.Also, look at it this way. What does the ability to kick a goal prove? Very little, just that some guy in your team can kick goals. Big whoop. At least with the white card rule the team will only get points if they deserve it - if they can score a try. What I like about rugby is that it is a team game. what I don't like is that sometimes it is akin to:1. every 5 minutes flip a coin2. if your team wins the coin toss your goal kicker gets a shot at goal you therefore win and lose based on two things:1. luck of the coin toss2. having the superior goalkicker. stuff the rest of the team, and stuff teamwork.

Last edited:
Thanks for a serious response. Now, first of all, I don't believe there will be more infringements. I believe a large chunk of infringements at the moment, from a players perspective, are accidental; either completely accidental - in that the ref made a wrong call or the player forgot the law, or partially accidental - in that the player for instance tried to go through the gate but just missed, the player kinda tried to keep his feet, the player kinda tried to bind at a ruck, the player kinda tried to roll away, etc. Lots of points are being awarded and games won or lost due to completely accidental infringements. My suggestion rectifies this problem. Now you are obviously concerned that these partially accidental penalties will rise, as players become more careless, and/or that deliberate infringements will rise. And there is already a law in place for deliberate infringements. It is called a yellow card. If the partially accidental infringements rise this just means that they are moving toward the deliberate end of the spectrum, risking yellow cards. So they can't rise too much, and if they do the problem is easily rectified by referees being more vigilant with yellow cards. In fact, players are already pushing the limit of deliberateness in their partially accidental penalties, teh limit being that threshold where they get a yellow card. Thus a rise in the degree of deliberateness in a given infringement is unlikely. The main concern is whether the volume of these partially accidental penalties will rise. Well a White Card is still a big disincentive, as defending with 14 men is much harder, and it is not as though the defending team can continue to offend, as playing with 13 men is much harder, yet alone 12.Also, look at it this way. What does the ability to kick a goal prove? Very little, just that some guy in your team can kick goals. Big whoop. At least with the white card rule the team will only get points if they deserve it - if they can score a try. What I like about rugby is that it is a team game. what I don't like is that sometimes it is akin to:1. every 5 minutes flip a coin2. if your team wins the coin toss your goal kicker gets a shot at goalyou therefore win and lose based on two things:1. luck of the coin toss2. having the superior goalkicker. stuff the rest of the team, and stuff teamwork.

Just a quick reply...

From what you said about accidental infringements, then I would say that one big solution would be more consistant refereeing. I've seen some refs call a penalty for what other referees overlook. Sometimes it's because they didn't see it, but sometimes it's because they each have their own interpretions of how far is 'too far'. Tighten up the refereeing, and it may reduce the amount of unnecessary penalty stoppages.

But I feel there's another element here that bothers you. You don't seem to like the goal kicks themselves. Can I ask why? Is it because you find them boring, or is it because you feel they slow down the game too much? If it's the latter, well...that may be, but if it's the former, I'd just like to share this with you - some of the most exciting kicks to see:

:)

EDIT: Oh, sorry - I see you don't like the kicks because too much of the game then relies on the boot of one player, not the entire team. That's fair enough. However, good teamwork can prevent a lot of penalties. Penalties are often incurred when someone over-reacts, loses their head in the moment and finds himself offside, or holding onto the ball, or diving in from the side. Good, tight teamwork should, hopefully, prevent those types of sloppy infringements, thus limiting the role the kicker plays in the outcome of the game. It's really the sloppy, messy games that end up being won on penalties and not on tries. I've seen many a great game with a low scoring that suggests fewer penalty opportunities due to exceptional defending. That's real teamwork - when you can defend and win without getting nasty.

das

Last edited by a moderator:
haha it's both. Thanks for the effort in linking that video but sorry I tried watching it but I only got 40 seconds through. yes kicks can be exciting, in the context of the game, as they are attempts to get points and that's what matters. kicks, inofthemselves, however, are boring, especially compared to tries.in terms of more consistent refereeing... well it hasn't happend to any degree yet, after almost 20 years of fully professional rugby, so I'm not confident it ever will. But yes, ideally.

I added an additional comment to my post regarding teamwork - you may have missed it.

Sorry the vid didn't work well for you - there's a great kick at about 5:50 or so.

das

Wasnt there a white card introduced for a few games in SA for infringements when they couldn't identify the player?

I will retract my previous commetn, to a degree. I do think that refereeing does have a lot of room for imporvement. Some rules are almost never refereed: for instance did you know that the tackled player is also obliged to roll away? I do think, however, there will always be enough ambiguity to ensure many games are decided somehwat radomly by penalty shots at goal.

Thanks again for the thoughtful replies, and I agree with what your saying, but from a spectators point of view I like to watch lots of rugby not just the one or two games where both teams have brilliant team work and there is a brilliant referee. Yes I watch games that have a lot of penalty kicks at goal, and I enjoy them, but I would enjoy them a hole lot more if the rules were as i suggested.

Last edited:
I'm surprised noone is taking this seriously. Do you all love penalty kicks that much?

The goal should be to see a reduction in penalties overall so we can get the free flowing game we all love. One suggestion I've heard before that I'd like to see trialled would be to allow a kick at goal AND award a scrum at the spot of the infringement (you could still instead choose to kick to touch or tap and go obviously). That way the infringing team is not relieving any pressure by infringing or getting rewarded for giving up 3 points instead of 7 and are really just costing their team points by infringing.

Ok so "Reply with Quote" isn't working for me, it just tries forever and never gets there.

Sifplay:

No. the reason fifteen a side rugby is better than sevens or league isn't because it is littered with penalty goal kicks. It's not because of the randomness this provides (yes I realise that randomness is one of the biggest reasons why football is the world's most popular sport, but I believe the randomness provided by penalty goal kicks is a worse kind of randomness, in that footballs randomness can be prevented as a great team playing a crap team will almost never randomly lose, nor even randomly fail to score many goals, nor even randomly let goals in.

Yet in rugby, due to the nature of the rules and the fact that both players and refs are human, the random element of penalties will always remain no matter how good the refs and players get at abiding by the rules because they are constrained by human limitations. Thus, consigning ourselves to this we must realise that the disincentive a penalty kick at goal provides is insufficient, and we must do as much as we can to prevent the randomness affecting teh final outcome.

I believe my suggestion helps in this way. I believe the disincentive remains but the effect of the randomness is lessened) it's because of the fact that different styles of play can compete against each other, the fact that there is a lot of strategy, the fact that teams build momentum (by going through the phases, drawing opposition into the rucks and mixing up their attack/phases until the opposition's defense is disorganised and holes appear or an overlap is achieved) thereby providing increasing tension and excitement for the spectator, the fact that a range of body types all have their place, the fact that a range of playing styles (across different player positions) all have their place, teh fact is is a great team game, and the fact that so much comes down to the attitudes of the players. And it's also not because watching penalty kicks is more exciting than the rest of the game. It isn't.

So, if you still don't agree with me, I would be fascinated to know why you think the current form of the game is a better game.

Apologies for teh lack of paragraphs in the previous post. Most functions in this forum aren't working for me at the moment so i will edit it once the forum allows me to do so.

DasnDanger said:

Thanks for a serious response. Now, first of all, I don't believe there will be more infringements. I believe a large chunk of infringements at the moment, from a players perspective, are accidental; either completely accidental - in that the ref made a wrong call or the player forgot the law, or partially accidental - in that the player for instance tried to go through the gate but just missed, the player kinda tried to keep his feet, the player kinda tried to bind at a ruck, the player kinda tried to roll away, etc. Lots of points are being awarded and games won or lost due to completely accidental infringements. My suggestion rectifies this problem.

Now you are obviously concerned that these partially accidental penalties will rise, as players become more careless, and/or that deliberate infringements will rise. And there is already a law in place for deliberate infringements. It is called a yellow card. If the partially accidental infringements rise this just means that they are moving toward the deliberate end of the spectrum, risking yellow cards. So they can't rise too much, and if they do the problem is easily rectified by referees being more vigilant with yellow cards. In fact, players are already pushing the limit of deliberateness in their partially accidental penalties, teh limit being that threshold where they get a yellow card. Thus a rise in the degree of deliberateness in a given infringement is unlikely. The main concern is whether the volume of these partially accidental penalties will rise.

Well a White Card is still a big disincentive, as defending with 14 men is much harder, and it is not as though the defending team can continue to offend, as playing with 13 men is much harder, yet alone 12.Also, look at it this way. What does the ability to kick a goal prove? Very little, just that some guy in your team can kick goals. Big whoop. At least with the white card rule the team will only get points if they deserve it - if they can score a try. What I like about rugby is that it is a team game. what I don't like is that sometimes it is akin to:1. every 5 minutes flip a coin2. if your team wins the coin toss your goal kicker gets a shot at goal you therefore win and lose based on two things:1. luck of the coin toss2. having the superior goalkicker. stuff the rest of the team, and stuff teamwork.
It is simple. Stop infringing and there won't be any kicks at goal for the opposition.

The goal should be to see a reduction in penalties overall so we can get the free flowing game we all love. One suggestion I've heard before that I'd like to see trialled would be to allow a kick at goal AND award a scrum at the spot of the infringement (you could still instead choose to kick to touch or tap and go obviously). That way the infringing team is not relieving any pressure by infringing or getting rewarded for giving up 3 points instead of 7 and are really just costing their team points by infringing.

Interesting, and that's not a bad solution to the problem you mention, but it still isn't a full solution as when a player infringes to relieve pressure it's usually in a situation better than that of a scrum - for which the defense is organised. Also, it doesn't solve the issues I've raised, though the motivation (to encourage a more attractive game) is similar.

Latest posts