• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Absurd league restructuring idea.

anderton46

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
I'm a fan of NFL and was just wondering if that system could work over here.

Problem at the moment is too much rugby at a high level (int + European matches + league). There is a lot of fixture congestion around international periods.

One way around this could be to implement an NFL style system. Different 4 team divisions who play each other twice then several other fixture against other groups to make up a set number of games. This leads into a playoff system to win the 'superbowl' which could be a way of replacing the Champions cup.

If it incorporated the pro12/top 14 and Aviva there are 38 teams. NFL operates on 32 so could have a relegation system or rework it slightly. But overall this would reduce the games played overall while also still having European games but within the regular system. It may also help balance the finances of clubs and lead to there being no need to play league games without top international stars.

Thoughts.

Biggest issue is money before anything else. That's why this would never work

I think it's the type of radical thinking which is needed in European rugby. Clubs and unions work together to create a better commercial product while also creating a higher level of play and reducing player burnout.

Its how I'd do it. Put in a *hard* salary cap too. Think how easy it would be to start expanding across Europe as well in such a system.

But, of course, there is seemingly no appetite above.

The NFL season only runs for 16 games over 17 weeks yet it attracts bigger crowds, bigger sponsorships and more money than any other oddshaped football competition in the world, bar none.

They must be doing something right

Last edited:
A population base of around 300 million must help
Mike

Yeah, population the size of Europe and a limited number of competing top level sports (football in particular) makes a big difference.
Hell, they get over 100k to college matches.

The NFL season only runs for 16 games over 17 weeks yet it attracts bigger crowds, bigger sponsorships and more money than any other oddshaped football competition in the world, bar none.

They must be doing something right

And crazily if you exclude Superbowl the College game makes more

A population base of around 300 million must help
Mike

Yeah, population the size of Europe and a limited number of competing top level sports (football in particular) makes a big difference.
Hell, they get over 100k to college matches.

Population of Europe.... 740 million

Sports that compete with NFL in the USA.... NCAA Football (season 20 weeks), Baseball (Season 30 weeks), Basketball (season 33 weeks)

Is there any team ball sport (other than Wendyball of course) that is bigger than Rugby Union and competes directly with it across the whole of Europe? Basketball maybe?

I thonk college game is bigger is USA though than say NBA or NFL at times too as it taps in to more people. For example in USA your closest NFL team could be many hours away. Even a flight but nearly everywhere is close to a NCAA team. Remember watching a doc on Oklahoma football before that highlights this. Also some say college game is more attractive as it is more offensively fun and you get all the trick plays etc more often

Is there any team ball sport (other than Wendyball of course) that is bigger than Rugby Union and competes directly with it across the whole of Europe? Basketball maybe?

Nothing is close, but that's largely down to how pervasive association rules football is. People don't like to think on Saturday.

Just to address your bolded point, I doubt many things are close on an individual country basis. (Ignoring Gaelic football in Eire)

Nothing is close, but that's largely down to how pervasive association rules football is. People don't like to think on Saturday.

Just to address your bolded point, I doubt many things are close on an individual country basis. (Ignoring Gaelic football in Eire)

I'm not much up to date but was lucky to work with Calgary Flames for 8 months and I'd say in Scandinavian countries and places like Czech Republic ice hockey is there on list

hopefully they would learn from the mistakes of super rugby, otherwise you'll just end up with champions tainted by all the "they had the easy run" calls

Latest posts