• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Future of UK Rugby

BeatmeBlue&Black

Academy Player
Afternoon all -

Im new to the forum world, but having just relocated to the UKs capital i needed some people to bounce off rugby related thoughts.

Do the URC, as a league that has gone through multiple changes, need to lead the way with one of the crisis that are blighting this great sport and push for a UK inclusive league on the franchise level we have today?

I was listening to James Haskell talk about the Wasps issues, a sad state of affairs that have really impacted a great historic club, but also reflecting on how the sides within the URC - particularly in Wales - are also struggling financially.
I liked the way Haskell had touted the idea of a NFL style franchise system, with a commissioner that would govern the resources in the game, making stronger sides and particularly a stronger game.

Now there would be casualties - and i am not one of those people who want to see some of these some of our dear old clubs crack and disappear but i cant see away around it - i for one would have a three tier strategy to ring fence the finances within the UK & Ireland:
UK league consisting of 3 Welsh Irish (West/East/North), 3 Irish Sides (similar), the 2 Scottish sides and then 6/8 English sides.
Under that then the BUCs league system
Below that a semi pro English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish league game

The issues i do see is how that impacts our national teams and the Lions series'.

Personally i think a European League comp would probably help with SA, France and Italy etc with maybe some sort of biannual world club cup competition perhaps.

just thoughts!!

Welcome! I wouldn't want anything that excluded Italy and SA. I also dont think English clubs and fans should be punished due to two clubs being poorly managed.

I'd be happy enough with a joint Euro league to replace all others but realistically, the EPCR competitions seem to be at a low ebb commercially whereas France is buoyant. So I can't see France ever signing up to everything and if all unions aren't on board I can't see anything happening.

The Premiership is too small. Nobody from the Championship will ever be able to go up and compete. A UK league is the only way forward. As for the SA and Italian teams, Hard luck. Have to be brutal. Bigger crowds too.

I don't think I've seen much/any appetite from the Irish/Scottish teams to want to abandon URC/the SA and Italian teams. From the Welsh fans/journalists yea, but that seems like a broader problem in Welsh rugby/the teams set up.

URC is now looking more financially successful now with the South African teams in, with strong additional sponsor money as well as more eyes on the game. Additionally it has added further competitiveness to it, and personally I've been enjoying the development of new rivalries.

I don't see anything working out to cut out the SA and Italian teams any time soon.

@BeatmeBlue&Black - Hello and welcome to The Rugby Forum. đź‘Ť

I think URC is in pretty good shape overall and would be smart to stay with the 16 teams they have. No drops, no additions/mergers, just keep it the way it is.

But Premiership is a different story. I heard on the Rugby Wrap Up (an online show out of New York City) that the London Irish are having financial problems as well. I don't know if it's true, but that's what they said.

Last edited:
I would like to see a 32 team European league made up of franchises.
A 16 game season, plus play offs to a final.
Season done in 22 weeks, with maximum of 21 matches.

Alternatively, if the French and Italians don't like this, then a B&I League of 30 teams, playing an NFL style season with 16 rounds plus play offs.

The Premiership is too small. Nobody from the Championship will ever be able to go up and compete. A UK league is the only way forward. As for the SA and Italian teams, Hard luck. Have to be brutal. Bigger crowds too.
The premiership is too big. There are too many clashes with club and international matches, too many matches where the winner is known beforehand, and barely any thought given to player welfare - physical and psychological.
The gap between the Premiership and the Championship is too large - mostly as a result of the war that PRL has waged upon the Champ for the last couple of decades, with their biggest coup being to insist upon stadiums of 10k.

In England the ideal set-up is 10 teams in the Premiership, and 14 in the Championship, with 2 up and 2 down each year (or 1 automatic, and 1 play off) and much less stringent minimum standard requirements - but requirements that do extend to the management / ownership of the clubs actually being able to afford to play the season. For example, the reason for the 10k requirement is to receive a certificate from the local council, but there's absolutely no reason (well, protection racket) that the same requirements can't be applied, just scaled down to a 3k stadium.
There should also be a cup competition including all the clubs in the Prem and Champ, and the 2 leagues should be managed and marketed as one. You can ring-fence at that level if required, but even then, it should have built-in regulations for kicking out, or bringing in teams every 4th year or so - based mostly on both on- and off- pitch performance.
Granted, I wanted to reduce the Prem via relegation, not bankruptcy.

UK or European leagues would be a disaster for Rugby in the UK / Europe.
There's plenty of room for different structures in England, France, Ireland/Wales/Scotland and Italy.

European Cups should be 16 teams at each level

SA have nothing to do with Europe or European rugby, so I wouldn't shed a single tear if they had to learn how to negotiate with their SH "neighbours" without just throwing their toys out of the pram and sulking.

Last edited:
The premiership is too big. There are too many clashes with club and international matches, too many matches where the winner is known beforehand, and barely any thought given to player welfare - physical and psychological.
The gap between the Premiership and the Championship is too large - mostly as a result of the war that PRL has waged upon the Champ for the last couple of decades, with their biggest coup being to insist upon stadiums of 10k.

In England the ideal set-up is 10 teams in the Premiership, and 14 in the Championship, with 2 up and 2 down each year (or 1 automatic, and 1 play off) and much less stringent minimum standard requirements - but requirements that do extend to the management / ownership of the clubs actually being able to afford to play the season. For example, the reason for the 10k requirement is to receive a certificate from the local council, but there's absolutely no reason (well, protection racket) that the same requirements can't be applied, just scaled down to a 3k stadium.
There should also be a cup competition including all the clubs in the Prem and Champ, and the 2 leagues should be managed and marketed as one. You can ring-fence at that level if required, but even then, it should have built-in regulations for kicking out, or bringing in teams every 4th year or so - based mostly on both on- and off- pitch performance.
Granted, I wanted to reduce the Prem via relegation, not bankruptcy.

UK or European leagues would be a disaster for Rugby in the UK / Europe.
There's plenty of room for different structures in England, France, Ireland/Wales/Scotland and Italy.

European Cups should be 16 teams at each level

SA have nothing to do with Europe or European rugby, so I wouldn't shed a single tear if they had to learn how to negotiate with their SH "neighbours" without just throwing their toys out of the pram and sulking.
Dont mind the 10-14 set up, with a cup during the international dates.
But must ring fence below that.
Development divisions below that
Then grassroots community rugby below that.

Latest posts