• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Adidas to supply match balls

A

An Tarbh

ADIDAS BECOMES ERC OFFICIAL MATCHBALL AND REFEREE KIT SUPPLIER
28 September 2009, 3:22 pm

Adidas is the new official supplier of the ERC match ball with the Torpedo Respect ball kicking off the 15th Heineken Cup on October 9th.

The biggest rugby club tournament in the world will use the highly acclaimed Torpedo Respect ball for all matches of the upcoming 2009/2010 season.

Under the sponsorship deal with ERC, organisers of both the Heineken Cup and newly ***led Amlin Challenge Cup, adidas will provide the official match ball for both European tournaments, as well as referee apparel. adidas also holds the exclusive rights to create and sell official ERC, Heineken Cup, H Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup licensed product.

adidas currently sponsors the NZRU and their world famous All Blacks team along with the British and Irish Lions, two time Heineken Cup Champions Munster and Stade Français and is now excited to extend its commitment to rugby through the ERC competitions.

Max van den Doel, Head of adidas Sports Marketing for Team Sports says, “This partnership with the ERC is the perfect platform to highlight the outstanding performance of the adidas Torpedo ball. We are looking forward to working closely with the ERC to further strengthen the Heineken and Amlin Challenge Cups and bring the game of rugby to even more fans across the globe.â€

Derek McGrath, ERC Chief Executive said, “The Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup have grown to become European tournaments with a global appeal and this partnership with this innovative and world-class brand reflects that status. The new adidas European ball and apparel matches our joint ambition of setting the standards within the game. We are very excited about the new energy that adidas will bring to the tournaments and together we look forward to taking European rugby to even more territories and audiences world-wide.â€

The Torpedo Respect ball was developed over a period of three years at adidas headquarters in Herzogenaurach, Germany with world recognised kicking coach, Mick Byrne, providing expert insight and feedback on its kicking and handling qualities before being tested by an array of players including Dan Carter and Francois Steyn. Mick Byrne undertook a three-year analysis of the Torpedo ball explaining, “Dan Carter has been kicking with an 87% success rate in all All Blacks tests, home and away, with an adidas ball. He has a considerably reduced success rate of 70% with other balls. Equally I observed that other All Blacks kickers using the adidas ball during tests also have a higher average success rate than their career average.â€

Dan Carter goes on to say, “I’ve been using the adidas Torpedo ball for three seasons now and find its handling and kicking accuracy is incredible. It’s very comforting as a player to know you are using such a reliable ball no matter how difficult conditions get on the pitch.â€

The adidas Torpedo Respect for the Heineken Cup features an innovative colourway and pattern combining green, red and navy blue while the Amlin Challenge Cup ball incorporates a sky and navy blue colour palate for the 2009/2010 season. The official match ball for both competitions is 100% hand-stitched natural rubber with a latex and butyl mix bladder. The official match ball has a RRP of â'¬80 while the replica ball retails at â'¬30. They are currently on sale in the UK, Ireland and France.

The new adidas ERC referee kit comes in 3 vibrant colourways. Heineken Cup referees will wear green or pink jerseys with the iconic 3-Stripes on each shoulder while the Amlin Challenge Cup referees will sport an orange jersey for the upcoming two seasons. All kit is accompanied by navy shorts and socks and complemented with a warm-up tracksuit and rain jacket.

The ERC referee kit features the latest adidas apparel technologies with a ForMotionâ"¢ cut to maximise comfort while running on the pitch and ClimaCool® ventilation to ensure the body is kept at its optimum temperature no matter how hot or cold the weather gets or how feisty a game becomes.

ERC

That's Munster fecked then.

Is these ball same one Dan Carter (87% rate) and other out-halves have complained about when kicking. I don't know I like the idea of referee's getting equipped as I think adidas have nice gear but have always been wary of the balls although me personally think Gilbert balls are best and any other ball is a step back

I never expected Gilbert not to supply the balls to any championship/competition, really :S
Adidas must have supplied some big bucks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Sep 28 2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They can't be any worse then the Webb Ellis balls.[/b]

Teh believe it or not they possibly are. :eek:

Just rather Gilbert any way Rugby not like soccer there no need to be changing these balls constantly.

But as said already Adidas must've put big bucks up

Sweet. ROG to miss all his kicks and Sexton to be 10 by the 6 nations. Life is good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 28 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sweet. ROG to miss all his kicks and Sexton to be 10 by the 6 nations. Life is good.[/b]
Think even the mighty J.Sexton wont even like this ball.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 28 2009, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sexton kicks Cian Healy through the posts for practise. From his own 22.[/b]
Cian Healy not getting kicked hard enough so, has buckets of potential and still stupid penalties

Lads, hate to break it to you but by February Tomás O'Leary will be captain, goal kicker and backs coach.

I refuse to be drawn into another "my team is better than yours" row. I mean Leinster, nuff said.

Annnnyway. On the balls(heh), kicker who seriously blames them for a poor display is taking the mick. When ye have a few weeks practise you should be able to kick a ball. I mean they're paid to do it ffs.

Not a big fan of the Adidas balls, they are pretty much cack for trying to kick with! Webb Ellis one's weren't brilliant (I find they fly wierdly compared to Gilberts) but they had a very sexy design, which is why I bought one B)

I've always liked Webb Ellis balls, then again i'm not a kicker...
One guy brought to sevens training last year (one of the really pricey ones) and it was so grippy it almost felt sticky

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 28 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I refuse to be drawn into another "my team is better than yours" row. I mean Leinster, nuff said.

Annnnyway. On the balls(heh), kicker who seriously blames them for a poor display is taking the mick. When ye have a few weeks practise you should be able to kick a ball. I mean they're paid to do it ffs.[/b]

Not saying it Leinster v Munster who better saying it in hope for Ireland as Healy is serious talent if he gets discipline right like himself and Sexton have came from no where to be very hot prospects.

But on ball, I agree kicker should master any ball but why lower game with brutal kicking more often because adidas balls are for training doing ball in hand drills not kicking

Nooooo, go for Mitre ones! They're brilliant. 60 minutes and mine had huge rips in it. Kicknig it mroe than a yard becomes impossible. If they use any other ball the Saricans are going to win the cup.

I'm glad a forum full of dudes are stuck talking about balls. :D

Since we are talking about balls, I ordered 4 Samurai Night Flight Training Balls (http://www.rugbystore.co.uk/collections/ac...t_training_ball) for my club last season, because it was the cheapest night time oriented balls, and they still have the grip on them. They've been kicked to kingdom come and still feel like out of the box. I've been impressed with them as all the gilbert balls, while quite good balls, lose their grip and are as bald as me by 2-3 months of training.

Now, back to the subject at hand, it's an amazing deal for adidas and I assume the ERC.

Oh deary me I've been giggling like a pre-pubesant monkey over people discussing balls.

On a serious note the balls I prefered when I played were Gilberts

*tries not to laugh*

*fails*

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know it just we want to be ok in competition we can win :mellow:

Balls are ball hey sure Bristol should know in <strike>GP, Europe, Any Decent standard of Rugby</strike> :lol:

My bad yeah damn balls forum :D Adidas !!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 5 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know it just we want to be ok in competition we can win :mellow:

Balls are ball hey sure Bristol should know in <strike>GP, Europe, Any Decent standard of Rugby</strike> :lol:

My bad yeah damn balls forum :D Adidas !!![/b]

Hand up whos team has beaten Stade Francais 17-0 at home?

*Raises Hand*

Latest posts