• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Adriaan Strauss retiring end of season

So we cast Bismarck out to the dogs and fully entrust Adriaan with our faith as an off-form captain. We dont drop the guy because of bad form because he is our captain and then this was supposed to be his time as the main hooker. Im really starting to question AC leadership skills.

There's really only one candidate who should be captain, and that's Warren Whiteley.

So we cast Bismarck out to the dogs and fully entrust Adriaan with our faith as an off-form captain. We dont drop the guy because of bad form because he is our captain and then this was supposed to be his time as the main hooker. Im really starting to question AC leadership skills.
The article implies AC knew all along this would be a one year deal.
If that's true though, it makes the fact that we have no real successor (hooker wise) look like some really bad planning.

Unless there is a successor, but with no real experience.

yeah I don't get AC either, he has a very talented backline and they all look like ****e when they put a springbok jersey on (okay, de allende hasn't looked good in awhile)

strauss has struggled for awhile and he has consistently been chosen

AC said when he was appointed as head coach that he'll get a temporary captain and will use the leaders in the team to see who will captain the team in the long run. Strauss was actually originally appointed as captain just for the Ireland series. But because of the amount of injuries of other experienced players, he kept Strauss on for the RC as well.

My personal choice for captain is Handre Pollard when he is fit and ready to play. He's still young and shows all the leadership qualities I want in a captain. I have no problem with Whiteley to run the show temporarily, but for the long run I would consider Pollard.

As for Strauss' retirement, I say good for him. He wants to stay in SA, with his family and not be away from home so long with his young kids. I wish him well.

The continuity woes continues.. Another cog in AC's "master-plans" full of baby steps.

I guess at the start of his tenure he had a difficult decision to make for who to be captain. Even if Whiteley seemed a fit leader at the time, he had little to no international experience. Also, he wasn't assured of a starting berth from the outset before the June tests, as we know AC still had plans to include the likes Duane & Flo in his team at a grasp for reputable experience, which largely put Whiteley out of favor.

Looking back on it now though, I can only think that it would've benefited the team more if they only decided to pick locally based players for the June internationals. Would've surely put Whiteley in for a starting berth no doubt and more likely to be made captain of the Boks then.

But our "top" local coaches have a thing for having emotional attachments to the reputation of old players; no confidence to risk a bold move. If being a renowned local SR coach can be seen a stepping stone to becoming a Springbok coach then I would've liked to see Johan Ackerman be appointed as assistant instead of Van Graan, and would've convinced SARU to bring back Nienaber for defense. The latter aspect we drastically need to shape up if we want to have any chance of victory any further in the RC.

Last edited by a moderator:
AC said when he was appointed as head coach that he'll get a temporary captain and will use the leaders in the team to see who will captain the team in the long run. Strauss was actually originally appointed as captain just for the Ireland series. But because of the amount of injuries of other experienced players, he kept Strauss on for the RC as well.

My personal choice for captain is Handre Pollard when he is fit and ready to play. He's still young and shows all the leadership qualities I want in a captain. I have no problem with Whiteley to run the show temporarily, but for the long run I would consider Pollard.

As for Strauss' retirement, I say good for him. He wants to stay in SA, with his family and not be away from home so long with his young kids. I wish him well.

It won't be Pollard, AC has stated he believes in forward captains.

Whiteley probably the obvious contender, but AC is a bit of a WP fanboy and with Duane coming back..

Who knows

Nothing wrong with Thormeulen, he just needs to be rested. Or Whiteley needs to play 7

Whiteley probably the obvious contender, but AC is a bit of a WP fanboy and with Duane coming back..

Who knows

Nothing wrong with Thormeulen, he just needs to be rested. Or Whiteley needs to play 7

Unless Duane returns to SA, he won't be the Bok Captain. AC said that he needs his captain to be in SA.

So it seems like Whiteley is the obvious choice.

But let's look at the other contenders:

Eben Etzebeth - Recently elected as the president of the Rugby Players Association. Regular starter and experienced campaigner.
Francois Louw - Still at Bath, but a big favourite of AC.
Duane Vermeulen - See above
Handre Pollard - See Above
Bryan Habana - Current Vice-Captain, but in the same boat as Duane as both are currently at Toulon

Who else? Beast?

Unless Duane returns to SA, he won't be the Bok Captain. AC said that he needs his captain to be in SA.

So it seems like Whiteley is the obvious choice.

But let's look at the other contenders:

Eben Etzebeth - Recently elected as the president of the Rugby Players Association. Regular starter and experienced campaigner.
Francois Louw - Still at Bath, but a big favourite of AC.
Duane Vermeulen - See above
Handre Pollard - See Above
Bryan Habana - Current Vice-Captain, but in the same boat as Duane as both are currently at Toulon

Who else? Beast?

My bet is on Whiteley and Etsebeth. Vermuelen is the Toulon captain and after the performances from NH based players, only Kitshoff has really looked worthwhile to me, and there are plans for him to return anyway. I think Vermuelen is not going to play Bok rugby for much longer, unless he returns, which he won't.

Whiteley is front runner (because Vermuelen won't be in his position so a guaranteed starter and has onfield leadership experience. Etsebeth has off-field leadership, but has never actually captained a side (as far as I am aware).

My bet is on Whiteley and Etsebeth. Vermuelen is the Toulon captain and after the performances from NH based players, only Kitshoff has really looked worthwhile to me, and there are plans for him to return anyway. I think Vermuelen is not going to play Bok rugby for much longer, unless he returns, which he won't.

Whiteley is front runner (because Vermuelen won't be in his position so a guaranteed starter and has onfield leadership experience. Etsebeth has off-field leadership, but has never actually captained a side (as far as I am aware).

Yeah, I think for now it's between those 2.

But I think what should happen now for the rest of the RC series, is to start with the process of getting whoever is going to be captain, to get a chance of being it for a while on the field. Strauss shouldn't play every match the full 80. Give Marx his chance and give the new captain a chance to take the lead.

If we are going to fail, then we might as well do it with style. so let the changes happen!

I kinda feel for Adriaan Strauss, I was a massive fan of his but it all went to ****e when he left the Cheetahs and joined that crappy team that should not be named... :p

Etsebeth seems like the best contender. He is basically assured of his spot in the team until some freak injury happens. Pollard still has to show some consistency first of all (im not saying he has not been consistent just that he needs to prove himself a bit more still over a number of seasons.) Secondly he has to stay injury free for awhile . Some players just get injured quite a lot . Like Lambie and Dan Kriel such a person can't be the captain. In that sense Etsebeth would be the best choice if we are going to pick a long term captain. He will also lead from the front and is one of the best players we have produced in the last few years.

Etsebeth seems like the best contender. He is basically assured of his spot in the team until some freak injury happens. Pollard still has to show some consistency first of all (im not saying he has not been consistent just that he needs to prove himself a bit more still over a number of seasons.) Secondly he has to stay injury free for awhile . Some players just get injured quite a lot . Like Lambie and Dan Kriel such a person can't be the captain. In that sense Etsebeth would be the best choice if we are going to pick a long term captain. He will also lead from the front and is one of the best players we have produced in the last few years.

Eben-i-like-to-fight-everyone-Etzebeth

Latest posts