• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Black Backline 1st phase Moves

Icemn

First XV
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
it seems like NZ like pulling their moves against poor AUS...

anyone still remember this move???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH9FmORmbmc

also seems like the fullback gets to run in the tries...

which one would you guys rate as the best move :? it think its debatable as defensive system has becoem more complex and harder to breach...

but i'm a cullen fan so I will go for the try in 2000 :p

The other try will be the one of this year vs AUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlJsV5j_aXo

Anyone want to add any other AB backline 1st phase setmoves :?

Last edited:
^Dude, seriously? *smh* ****ing homer.. either stay on topic or create your own thread maybe (or maybe not be so butthurt at the videos posted)? :p

BTW, the first vid icemn posted; Moves like that only work when your runner can beat his assignment 1-on-1. ;) Oh and that Dagg one this year is ridiculous. Makes Beale look like a baby...

Beale pushed aside...again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8xOOd0tM-g

The sweet RWC 2011 semi-final try...

Oh sorry...

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems like NZ like pulling their moves against poor AUS...

anyone still remember this move???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH9FmORmbmc

also seems like the fullback gets to run in the tries...

which one would you guys rate as the best move :? it think its debatable as defensive system has becoem more complex and harder to breach...

but i'm a cullen fan so I will go for the try in 2000 :p

The other try will be the one of this year vs AUS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlJsV5j_aXo

Anyone want to add any other AB backline 1st phase setmoves :?

Here is a great piece of analysis of that 1st phase try by Dagg v the Wallabies this year

This is by Green & Gold Rugby.

Now the usual aim of G&GR analysis is to highlight all the supposed undetected illegalities by the All Blacks and Springboks (and now perhaps the Pumas too), while painting the Wallabies as absolute saints who never infringe the Laws.

However, this one is a rare exception; it really is an excellent piece of analysis.

Here is a great piece of analysis of that 1st phase try by Dagg v the Wallabies this year

This is by Green & Gold Rugby.

Now the usual aim of G&GR analysis is to highlight all the supposed undetected illegalities by the All Blacks and Springboks (and now perhaps the Pumas too), while painting the Wallabies as absolute saints who never infringe the Laws.

However, this one is a rare exception; it really is an excellent piece of analysis.

lol I saw a Youtube video ***led "Cheat Blacks - Wallaby Tribute" or something to that effect. :lol: Clever... ;)

I was going to post stiriling mortlock's intercept in the RWC as the All Blacks best ever first phase move, then I realised it was actually on the second phase. my bad ;)

^ Oh look more of them. :lol: Don't you mean the Cheat Blacks? #sourgrapes

Let's try finding something more recent (i.e. in the last RWC....)

Oh wait...

Iceman would enjoy these tries - the first one is a great move from 1st phase.

Oh wait...

aww c'mon, no sour grapes here just a bit of banter and it's good to hear you finally calling the Cheat Blacks by their rightful name :)

Oh wait...

calm down, take your pills please, he is obviously taking the **** out of you

calm down, take your pills please, he is obviously taking the **** out of you
Who's not calm? Just throwing a bit of **** back. ;)

Though I admit, Aussie **** is probably more foul and appropriate in this instance. :lol:

that try by Nonu vs AUS in the 2011 RWC is a knock on... there is clear daylight between his hand and the ball when grounding... but its like split second stuff... does that count as a knock on :?

@ trf_nick: nice try from Cullen :D but its that a 2nd phase try :? line out and then a maul :? anycase still a good try ;) Cullen was the ****!! he is still the best Fullback i have seen in my life... hey does anyone have that try saving tacking of him on Daniel Herbert??? just before the tryline!

that try by Nonu vs AUS in the 2011 RWC is a knock on... there is clear daylight between his hand and the ball when grounding... but its like split second stuff... does that count as a knock on :?

If a player is carrying the ball, the ball simply needs to touch a blade of grass while his fingertip is on the ball for it to be a try.

If the player isn't in possession of the ball (ie: when he is chasing a grubber kick or when it comes loose), that is when you need downward pressure.

If you are talking about the Dagg offload to Nonu try. I can't see any daylight, but you might have better resolution. Anyway, whether he has lost all contact with the ball before it hits the ground is impossible to tell, so that's got to be a try.

Law reference:

There are two ways a player can ground the ball:
(a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and
touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in
the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.

(b) Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the
in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of
the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

If a player is carrying the ball, the ball simply needs to touch a blade of grass while his fingertip is on the ball for it to be a try.

If the player isn't in possession of the ball (ie: when he is chasing a grubber kick or when it comes loose), that is when you need downward pressure.

If you are talking about the Dagg offload to Nonu try. I can't see any daylight, but you might have better resolution. Anyway, whether he has lost all contact with the ball before it hits the ground is impossible to tell, so that's got to be a try.

Law reference:

yes i am takling about the dagg/nonu try vs AUS in tha tsemi-final... if you look at the grounding of Nonu's try... there is daylight between his hand and the ball.. the ball is on the ground but it's like split second stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfzqZsVmpqo

you can actaully see it better from the camera behind Nonu and not the closeup from infront... or maybe i've been smoking my porridge again :?

yes i am takling about the dagg/nonu try vs AUS in tha tsemi-final... if you look at the grounding of Nonu's try... there is daylight between his hand and the ball.. the ball is on the ground but it's like split second stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfzqZsVmpqo

you can actaully see it better from the camera behind Nonu and not the closeup from infront... or maybe i've been smoking my porridge again :?

Can't see any space from any of the camera positions...I even frame-by-framed it...

When it's this close, I don't think there is evidence to say he lost possession of the ball. So I'd go with try, but if you have a frame there showing otherwise, then yes if you apply the laws to what you see, then a knock on has occurred.

Latest posts