• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks to play Air New Zealand Cup

J

jawmalawm24

Well the competition started good for me but wasn't there a rule that they wouldn't play any All Blacks in the Air New Zealand Cup this season? I know a few teams would be rapt to have some of their All Blacks back but I'm getting sick and tired of how our new players just get shunted out the way to make room for someone that gets paid more than them and only plays 2 or 3 games.

I was thoroughly enjoying the Air New Zealand Cup until I heard the All Blacks will be included. So cool they come f#@! up our combinations for 2 weeks than **** off over seas to lose while our new boys have to try and get use to playing again. I think we should protect our local and grassroots Rugby alot more because it's where all New Zealand Rugby starts and we've got to set a good foundation for our international team to suceed.

blame the tri-nations draw the abs will be right on 3 weeks since the last test by the time they play aus in their next mach. I don't know about you but I would rather some of the abs do play a match or 2 at air nz cup level instead of doing nothing or playing at club level. at least we do have something like the air nz cup for some of the abs to keep match fitness and get confidence in, aus have nothing or a very crappy club competition that is vastly below air nz cup level and even further below international level. also it's no secret a lot of air nz cup teams are struggling financially and I am sure many of them will benefit with bigger crowds with the abs playing since they are players that people recognise and will pay to see play instead of skipping going to the game and watching it on tv. just look at what happened when richie played a club game the crowd was double perhaps triple what it normally would of been and also carter in the canterbury team I am sure will boost their crowds at home plus away as well.

I agree with Esoj. The All Blacks are not playing for three weeks and the players need a game. It makes most sense that that is in the Air New Zealand Cup. It is not like the players they are replacing are of great quality. I think it is also good that our provincial players can test themselves against the best talent that we have. It is good for crowds and profile. It does mess up combinations but the All Blacks must take precedence.

You both have very valid points but it's just hard watching the lions for the past few seasons get into the Semi's or further than the players that have worked hard and played all season just get tossed out like a piece of meat and replaced by All Blacks just for them to play crap than playing international the next week while the other players sit it out til the next season just doesn't seem right.

I hope you's are right thou and the crowds get bigger especially with kids being free that's awesome. I was rapt when my nephews wanted to come to watch the Lions at the stadium because they're not really big Rugby fans but it was a awesome atmosphere for them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Aug 5 2009, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You both have very valid points but it's just hard watching the lions for the past few seasons get into the Semi's or further than the players that have worked hard and played all season just get tossed out like a piece of meat and replaced by All Blacks just for them to play crap than playing international the next week while the other players sit it out til the next season just doesn't seem right.

I hope you's are right thou and the crowds get bigger especially with kids being free that's awesome. I was rapt when my nephews wanted to come to watch the Lions at the stadium because they're not really big Rugby fans but it was a awesome atmosphere for them.[/b]
I also see your point. I think most of the All Blacks will probably start on the bench . The only player who we are going to have back this week is, I think, Tamati Ellison. You have to admit the Wellington Rugby Union do an incredible job with promotion and with the fans in order to get as many people a long as possible.

Latest posts