• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks Watch - Week 5

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Sorry for the delay! :)

It was good to see the NZ teams bouncing back this week after the horror show last weekend. It's true that Super Rugby form rarely correlates with test form, but regardless it is nice to know there are some form players in the Kiwi set up.

Props

Ben Franks (Hurricanes) – Likely
Franks was strong for the Hurricanes, maintaining a heavy work load and making a nuisance of himself in the scrums. He was the second top tackler for his team and made a huge number of carries. Of course he'll most be remembered for his bump on Ben Smith.

Toby Smith (Chiefs) – Unlikely
Smith finally gets a start for the Chiefs and puts in a good first up performance. His scrimmaging was solid, and he was a menace on attack, making some good runs and even managing a few line breaks. While it appears there may be too many loose heads ahead of him, if he has a good season who knows what's possible.

Ben Afeaki (Chiefs) – Likely
Afeaki had his worst game to date this season, mainly due to the fact that he conceded three silly penalties. Otherwise, his work around the field but its usual high standard, and like his partner, he operated well in the scrums.

Wyatt Crockett (Crusaders) – Even
Like Afeaki, Crockett conceded a few dumb penalties, but had a good game otherwise. The battle for the back up loose head spot is starting to heat up, with Franks maintaining the inside running.

Hookers

Dane Coles (Hurricanes) – Even
Did not play.

Hika Elliot (Chiefs) – Even
Elliot had a very good game for the Chiefs, playing the full 80 minutes. Lineouts ran smoothly for the Chiefs, and he carried the ball very well on attack, always making good metres (he actually made the most runs out of any Chiefs player!). His work at the breakdown should also be commended, causing many a problem for the Kings.

Ben Funnell (Crusaders) – Very Unlikely
Finally Funnell got a decent amount of game time, and it looks he may suffer because of it. He has been cited (for very ambiguously, making 'illegal contact' with another player) and will certainly miss a game for it. At best, Funnell will be back in a couple of weeks warming the bench once more, at worst he could lose his bench role altogether to the equally promising Codie Taylor.

With Andrew Hore suffering a rib injury, an extra spot could open up in the All Blacks side (assuming three hookers). That bodes well for guys like Rhys Marshall (Chiefs) and Motu Matu'u (Hurricanes). Matu'u was strong around the field in the weekend, though was a bit creaky at lineout time.

Locks

Anthony Boric (Blues) is expected back next weekend, probably on the bench. It will be great to see him out on the rugby field once more. Dominic Bird (Crusaders), meanwhile, had a sturdy game without setting the world alight. Michael Fitzgerald (Chiefs) finally showed why he was selected in the squad, with a very busy performance against the Kings.

Loose Forwards

Brad Shields (Hurricanes) – Even
Shields continues to grow in the number 6 jersey for the Hurricanes. This weekend he was particularly good on attack, and was used as one his team's main forward strike weapons. His physicality on defence still needs to be improved, however.

Matt Todd (Crusaders) – Unlikely
Todd continues to do a decent job of filling Richie McCaw's boots at the Crusaders, but doesn't look like he'll be capable of making the step up to the international level, at least at the moment. He is sturdy without being dominant, and would probably not let his team down, but simply is not up to the standard of players such as David Pocock and the like.

Luke Braid (Blues) – Even
Did not play.

Steven Luatua (Blues) – Likely
Did not play.

Halfbacks

TJ Perenara (Hurricanes) – Even
Perenara is starting to find the form that had many people touting him as a potential bolter last season. While there are aspects of his play which still need a bit
of work, his offensive flare is something to behold. Though he remains behind Kerr-Barlow in the pecking order, he will be in the All Blacks within a year.

Tawera Kerr-Barlow (Chiefs) – Likely
Kerr-Barlow is putting in strong performances week in and week out. His quick passing in the weekend ensured that the Chiefs were always hot on attack, and his defensive play is second to none of NZ's halfbacks.

First Fives

It's great to see Colin Slade (Highlanders) back in action. His defence in the weekend was almost as bad as Barrett's, but he led his team well. Gareth Anscombe (Chiefs) performance at fullback has not waned.

Centres

Andrew Horrell (Chiefs) – Even
Horrell possesses the skills of a first five and the attacking determination and physicality of a centre. The Kings struggled to bring him to ground on a number of occasions and he looks set to own the Chiefs 12 jersey for the majority of the season after a couple of assured performances.

Francis Saili (Blues) – Even
Did not play.

Rene Ranger (Blues) – Even
Did not play. It was revealed this week that Ranger has asked Steve Hansen what he needs to do in order to win more All Blacks caps. I'd suggest that signing a
contract extension should be at the top of that list. If Ranger hangs around, he could grab one of the centre berths that are available at the moment.

Robbie Fruean (Crusaders) will not surpass one of these three players to earn his first cap, likewise Tim Bateman (Hurricanes) is similar to some of those listed above, but will likely not overcome them for a spot. Jason Emery (Highlanders) looked good in his maiden Super Rugby game, especially on attack, and could push for a spot in years to come, post Nonu and Conrad Smith.

Outside Backs

Tim Nanai-Williams (Chiefs) - Even
I say basically the same thing every week, and that is TNW needs to move into an outside back position in order to push for a place in the squad. With Kahui returning soon and Horrell back from injury (plus Charlie Ngatai's good performances), it is unlikely Nanai-Williams will spend much more time at centre this season, which can only be a good thing of his chances.

Johnny McNicholl (Crusaders) – Unlikely
McNicholl was solid once more, though perhaps was outshone somewhat by his partner Tom Marshall on the other wing. In McNicholl the Crusaders have an astute defensive organiser and a genuine finisher, which is harder and harder to come by nowadays. His future is Black, but it is unlikely his chance will come in June.

Charles Piutau (Blues) – Likely
Did not play.

Andre Taylor (Hurricanes) will probably not push for selection anymore; it is hard for an uncapped player to come back from a form slump. Mention should be made of Lelia Masaga's (Chiefs) hat trick.

Probable June Squad:

Hookers – A Hore, K Mealamu, D Coles
Props – T Woodcock, O Franks, C Faumuina, B Franks, B Afeaki
Locks – S Whitelock, B Retalick, L Romano, A Williams
Loose Forwards – K Read, S Cane, V Vito, L Messam, S Luatua
Halfbacks – P Weepu, A Smith, T Kerr-Barlow
First Fives – D Carter, A Cruden, B Barrett
Centres – C Smith, M Nonu, F Saili
Outside Backs – I Dagg, J Savea, C Piutau, H Gear
Utility Backs – B Smith, R Kahui

No changes

Blues - 7
Chiefs - 7
Hurricanes - 6
Crusaders - 6
Highlanders - 6

I agree with most of that (as usual).

I'm still not convinced with Shields. I love his physicality at the breakdown, and can see a lot of potential in him, but I still think he has a way to go. I was impressed with his improved work on attack this week - hopefully he can keep that up for the next few weeks.

I was happy with Slade's performance this week, and I do think it is a bit harsh to suggest his defense was 'almost as bad as Barretts'. He did miss 4-5 tackles, but he also made a pile (I have seen him credited with between 14-16 tackles) - his defense certainly wasn't perfect, but tackling at ~75% for a game isn't that bad for a 10 IMO.

I was actually slightly disappointed in McNicholl this week. He had a massive work-rate, but he made a few too many errors, and his passing looks like it needs a lot of work. I love the fact that he pops up in random places in the places in the backline, but he needs to do a lot of work on his basic passing skills if he wants to do this. It would be great to see him with a bit more space to move this weeks against the Kings...

man it's great to see boric back, I do think he's a great player and under reated. IMO at times over the last few years I think he should have been considered more as a starting lock with Brad thorn - the few times they partnered up they were simply awesome. I will be watching the blues this weekend just to see him come off the bench.

Luatua to me is a skillful player with a lot of energy but I want to see him boost his game physically. Get in the Gym and get some more strength and speed to his game. he kinda reminds me of Issac Ross in that respect. A great natural, and naturally very big but lacking a bit in horsepower. head to head compared with Messam and Vito that is where he lacks IMO. Seeing him get completely burned by Spies confirmed it, no way would he have done that to Messam. With that in mind I think I'd select Braid ahead of him. Braid is pretty handy in that he can cover 6 & 8 as well.

man it's great to see boric back, I do think he's a great player and under reated. IMO at times over the last few years I think he should have been considered more as a starting lock with Brad thorn - the few times they partnered up they were simply awesome. I will be watching the blues this weekend just to see him come off the bench.

Luatua to me is a skillful player with a lot of energy but I want to see him boost his game physically. Get in the Gym and get some more strength and speed to his game. he kinda reminds me of Issac Ross in that respect. A great natural, and naturally very big but lacking a bit in horsepower. head to head compared with Messam and Vito that is where he lacks IMO. Seeing him get completely burned by Spies confirmed it, no way would he have done that to Messam. With that in mind I think I'd select Braid ahead of him. Braid is pretty handy in that he can cover 6 & 8 as well.

Luatua looks a stronger carrier than Messam. Not as quick sure but definitely crashes over the advantage line with more grunt.

Luatua looks a stronger carrier than Messam. Not as quick sure but definitely crashes over the advantage line with more grunt.

I agree. I helps that he runs in the straight line too :)

debatable, I think the first couple of games messam was used more as a runner and he did really well was direct and got over the advantage line pretty much ever time and busted a number of tackles. Last couple of games he has been more of a link man and passed at or before the line in more of a play maker role. It seems quite normal for his role to change depending on the gameplan at tactics/makeup of the side.

Luatua's strength is his youth and energy - more than his physicality & conditioning. All I'm saying is he has untapped potential, I think he would be one scary fricken player if he combined his natural ability with a level of conditioning on par with the likes of Messam and Vito.

Latest posts