• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks World Cup Squad

I only fear that if Byron gets injured, who will replace him? Leonard and Ellis aren't experienced enough to start against big nations at the money end of the comp. Unless they bring back Weepu? wouldn't that make him feel special

It's injuste :%#%#: , Flavell is the best 2nd line kiwi with Ali Williams better than Jack but Congratulations for Dougie :cheers:

Rico Gear is no suprise but Piri Weepu not getting picked is wrong. Neither Ellis or Leonard have the skills to backup Kelleher they're only impact players but it will be good to see what they can do.

I would have preferred Flavell over Thorne but I'm pretty happy to see that Lauaki still made it so thats a plus.

Ellis is rubbish. so is Jimmy Coward for that matter. Ted and the three wise men will be doing this because of the booze up during the week more than anything.

Being a All Blacks supporter I'm very happy with the squad. Both Flavell and Weepu had opportunities, but didn't take them, managing to play their way out of the squad. I don't think Weepu has had a good game for the All Blacks for a few years now - playing mainly at 1st Five for the hurricanes this year when he came back from reconditioning didn't help either. Flavell is still highly penalty prone - I'm much happier to have the more reliable Thorne as the lock/6 backup.

The inclusion of Ellis and Lauaki adds a couple more attacking minded players into the squad. Ellis had a relatively poor super 14, but looked very good for the Junior All Blacks, while Lauaki would likely have been in the squad all along if he had not needed knee operations at the end of super 14.

It's hard to compare Weepu's performance v Ellis as they had different opposition to contend with and differing playing time this season. The Junior opposition wasn't that flash this season so hardly the most testing of assignments for Ellis.

It's hard to compare Weepu's performance v Ellis as they had different opposition to contend with and differing playing time this season. The Junior opposition wasn't that flash this season so hardly the most testing of assignments for Ellis. [/b]

True, I also think Ellis was also made to look good for the Juniorsas the other Juniors halfback (Cowan) played poorly, despite looking very good at super 14 level. Ellis is unlikely to get game-time after the pool stages (except in the case of injury), I'm sure he will be effective against the might of Portugal and Romania though B)

...playing mainly at 1st Five for the hurricanes this year when he came back from reconditioning didn't help either. [/b]

...and about that reconditioning squad I think it was a complete waste of time just to see one player who was chosen to take part, has just suddenly been dropped. This process also meant limiting professional game times and development of each of the chosen 22 and Weepu stands out as a surprisingly mistaken result.

I would've picked Weepu (ahead of Ellis) based on his experience, he may not be on form at the moment, but like candybum said if Kelleher get's injured, I'd draw on to someone who's had few international games under their belt.

As an impact player he's awesome, he made a huge impact when he came on against SA in the first Tri-Nations game this year.

He's the only surprise omission for me .....

I'll go with whatever Henry puts forth... if he says we're playing some loser from bumf*rk nowhere.
That's good enough for me.

If he thinks Ellis has it over Weepu, well... guess he knows best, if he picks Thorne over Flavell... well I guess he knows best. Guess that's why he's the coach and I'm not.

Think there might be (if we are lucky enough) a bit of a sir Henry going around... after the world cup?

Weepu is a big shock. Kelleher played **** out of all the halfbacks. If Kelleher got bounced I wouldn't have been surprised.

I feel sorry and ****** off for Piri Weepu why did they pull him out of the Super14 to do their stupid training. What a big waste of time for him doing all that he must be gutted especially when hes being replaced by Andrew Ellis.

Graham Henry what have you done?? There isn't any backup for Kelleher, Leonard and Ellis are good but players but their total international experience isn't very much.

Well I hope Piri good luck cause I think even if asked to play for the All Blacks he probably won't really wan't to play for them after being dropped like that. Maybe he might give the Wellington Lions a chance at the Air New Zealand Cup ***le this season.

Still trying to get my head around the fact that Thorne made it and so too did Ellis.
Stinks of regional favouritism to me.
Thorne basically lost us the last world cup and as for Ellis - how can they pick a guy who has only played one test?

I would have put in Flavell and Weepu. If not Weepu, then Auckland's number 4 halfback would still be better than that red and black piece of trash.

Still trying to get my head around the fact that Thorne made it and so too did Ellis.
Thorne basically lost us the last world cup and as for Ellis - how can they pick a guy who has only played one test?

I would have put in Flavell and Weepu. If not Weepu, then Auckland's number 4 halfback would still be better than that red and black piece of trash. [/b]

While they are at it they should add John Afoa, Chris Heard, Jerome Kaino, Daniel Braid, Brad Mika, Sam Tuitopou, James Somerset, and Brent Ward... then no other team would have a chance B)

Thorne basically lost us the last world cup and as for Ellis
[/b]

And your failing to mention all the other losses he was responsible for during his captaincy reign. I think it was a shocking record, something like 19 wins from 22 games.

Don't forget to mention he scored the only try in the 2003 semi final loss, albeit off a brilliant Spencer break.

Agree with you about Ellis though,

Thorne is in the team because of experience at RWCs. I have no problem with Thorne selected ahead of Flavell for the flanker/lock position. Flavell just makes too many silly errors.

We don't need all big hitting impact players. Thorne is a good support player, he won't force passes. There needs to be a balance in the team and Thorne provides that.

I would have put in Flavell and Weepu. If not Weepu, then Auckland's number 4 halfback would still be better than that red and black piece of trash. [/b]
Hey..hey easy there bro with the red and black trash comment :p . I do agree with the Ellis bit though, they could have at least put in J. Cowan. I don't rate Ellis, as for Thorne I agree with Nik, it was an experience thing, the supposed safe pick. In the end it's my country and regardless who they pick, I will backing them 100%. GO THE BLACKS !!!

Prove me wrong Ellis & Thorne!!

I actually think Flavell kicked himself out of the team literially. Two very ordinary kicks in general play durring the Tri Nations could have cost him. If they'd been great they could also have made him.

Piri Weepu looked really flat against SA and probably was the third choice form wise. I think there's more to that than just form.

Ruben Thorne is a solid player does heaps of the hidden work..and although he was no chance due to non selection and injury I think Messam would have been the find if they'd taken a punt. Class player and obviously next cup's news.

Piri Weepu looked really flat against SA and probably was the third choice form wise. I think there's more to that than just form.[/b]

Nah he wasn't that bad at all. He was involved in some highlights of the game played in Durban.

"The game was won when wing Joe Rokocoko scored from a move reserve halfback Piri Weepu started when he retrieved a kick inside the All Blacks' 22 and sent it wide to set up a counter-attack." - JIM KAYES - The Dominion Post | Monday, 25 June 2007

And even South Africans were positive on Weepu.

"There was to be little mercy from the All Blacks who destroyed their scrum on several occasions and when they ran on replacements like Ross Filipo, Leon MacDonald, Aaron Mauger and Piri Weepu the South Africans were shot." - By RICHARD KNOWLER in Durban - Fairfax Media | Sunday, 24 June 2007

So Piri never deserved to be counted out just like that. Poor guy has to wait another 4 hard years.