• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All things Irish

Hurling is tedious. There are no tactics other that hit the sliotar as far as you can and hope a teammate gets to it before an opponent. The fact that it's fast, doesn't make it good- if that's the way to judge sports then surely NASCAR must be the greatest sport of all.

Hurling tactics are the equivalent of soccer's out-dated long ball game. People are cottoning on to that now- look at the pitiful half empty Croke Park for both All-Ireland (or more accurately a small pocket in the south of Ireland) semi finals. I absolutely despise the sport .

[/rant]

Indeed ..tactics are not the most subtle..;but to see a mans hand reach up between a hail of wood and pluck a bll going at 100kmph or often faster from the sky is pretty awesome..its often just nice to see amesome moments of individual brilliance and courage

Hurling is tedious. There are no tactics other that hit the sliotar as far as you can and hope a teammate gets to it before an opponent. The fact that it's fast, doesn't make it good- if that's the way to judge sports then surely NASCAR must be the greatest sport of all.

Hurling tactics are the equivalent of soccer's out-dated long ball game. People are cottoning on to that now- look at the pitiful half empty Croke Park for both All-Ireland (or more accurately a small pocket in the south of Ireland) semi finals. I absolutely despise the sport .

[/rant]

Bullshizzle. Hurling tactics are indeed varied and complex. Take, for example, the Cork team of the mid 00' who favoured the handfpassed based possession game complemented with a strong running midfield. Look at the current Galway team which seems to prefer a short passing game. This style however, requires a veryhigh skill level to take effect. Another example would have been the semi final a week ago. In order to keep the talismanic Michael 'brick' was out of the game, Tipperary employed short puckouts for much of the match with the purpose of bypassing the Waterford half back line. This, coupled with the deployment of the extremely mobile Noel McGrath on Walsh, nullified the threat of the Waterford centre back.

Tactics are evident aplenty in hurling, you just have to know what to watch out for.

One thing that amazes me from what ive heard ablne seen is the lack of sports menship in gaa a good example is the Leinster final about a month ago. Also I have a freind got smacked in he head with a hurl for no reson and got his toung stuck in his braces. ANother time his coahtold him to hit anoter player.

There are thugs involved in every game. It ******* ****** me off when people make generalisations like that. I take it you don't play yourself?

I'm sure i could find plenty of anecdotal evidence to say there is a lack of sportsmanship in rugby too.

Only real difference in sportsmanship i have seen is in the poor respect shown to referees....one ref 2 years ago at a U 16s match took so much abuse he left the game and cried in his car....I belive it was a match in ferns..was not present at it but when i heard i felt a bit sick...

but other than that yes there are thugs in every sport you just might hear about it more in hurling as they are armed :p

This is true. Lots of wankkers in the GAA. But sure that what happens when you ley people from the country fraternise with eachother.

The level of respect shown by fans is usually quite high, however I have heard of a few disturbing incidents as of late.

The level of respect shown by fans is usually quite high, however I have heard of a few disturbing incidents as of late.
You're right, these are isolated incidents and don't reflect at all on the majority of players or supporters. The scumbag who whacked the referee in the back with a hurl should have been charged with assualt.

I'm also aware that this isn't confined to the GAA either. I go to a lot of Airtricity League games and the atmosphere can be particularly poisonous. Scumbag behaviour is also permeating underage soccer with referees constantly subject to abuse from players and spectators alike. There's something pathetic about parents of kids shouting obscenities at a referee in an u12 fixture.

Must say having been involved in lots of sports rugby is the best in terms of respect and sportmanship and craic

We had a great game today, good banter from both players and officials considering it was an important game and very close. Ended a draw, which suits us more than them and we were missing a few guys.

Well lads off subject but super run out for us tonight against Leicester and Leamy was good on his return. Munster 13 - 17 Leicester

Yeeeeaaahhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gwan the rebels!!!!!!

It feels soo good!

Na they didn't, ran out of steam and their poor tackling finally was punished. They were good for 55 mins. Cork running at them tired them and drew yellow cards

Well done Tipp today. By far in a way the better team. Overall a good championship. Any thoughts?

Was at it, good game Shame about Henry, it may be the last we see of him if things go poorly. Fennelly is a beast btw.

does anyone know where old wesley are playing their club rugby now...need to find pitch for friday afternoon...

Latest posts